PDA

View Full Version : Is v.9 going to be 64-bit only?

Defiance
09-23-2005, 09:05 AM
I'm getting a new computer with a new OS and trying to decide between 32-bit and 64-bit Windows. The problem with XP x64 is that it's like Windows ME all over again... a stop gap measure until Vista comes out. And plus, mainstream support for XP ends in Dec. 2006 and I'm afraid that Microsoft might stop issuing activation codes for XP after that, so buying XP now may not be a good decision. So I may indeed stay with the 32-bit version of XP. Right now I'm still running LW 7.5 but probably will be going to v.9 later and can't decide what to do. I'm not going to upgrade to Vista and whatever I use now, I stick with it for a few years. Is there a 32-bit version of v.9 in the works? I hope so.

colkai
09-23-2005, 09:10 AM
Nope, you can use in on 32-bit just fine, there will be a 64-bit version of LW, but at the moment, those of us on "older" machines are just fine. :)
Heck, I'm still on W2K, and currently have zero intent on moving to XP.
All my current stuff runs jsut fine ta muchly! :p ;)

mattclary
09-23-2005, 09:10 AM
XP64 is hardly stop gap. The only problem with XP64 is lack of drivers. If you are getting a system pre-loaded with it, that shouldn't be an issue.

Also, there is no way in :devil: that MS is stopping support for XP in 2006. Read my lips, it ain't gonna happen. There are HUGE corporations out there who JUST upgarded to XP. They are the ones who really decide how long an OS is going to be supported.

If you feel I'm wrong, please post a link to a reference.

Defiance
09-23-2005, 09:30 AM
Nice to know LW will be 32-bit for the next version. I may just stay with 32-bit then.

I'm just very suspicious of MS right now. They've stated that mainstream support ends on Dec. 31, 2006. Extended support goes till 2011, but support requests will be on a pay-per-use basis. What worries me is no definitive statement on what happens for activation after mainstream support ends. The only thing MS has ever said is, you can activate until the support life cycle is over and then they MIGHT issue an update to make activation not required. That was said when XP first came out and depending on how well Vista sells, they might just force everyone to upgrade or have to pay each time they install and have to re-activate, which is a problem because I re-install every 6 months just to keep things clean. Corporations don't have to worry about this because their XP don't have activation, but normal people do. BTW, if you had the Home edition of XP, in 2006, all support will end.

XP Professional support lifecycle:

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223

Mainstream support ends Dec. 31, 2006, or in the best case scenario, 2008 if Vista is delayed till the end of next year. There's no way I'm changing my OS in 3 years. I use these computers for 5 years before getting a new one. Extended support is 2011, but that's pay-per-use. Does that include activation? I have a feeling it's possible. MS are in a position to be able to pull that off and still have people buying their products.

WizCraker
09-23-2005, 03:05 PM
They are still supporting 98 and that has been out for a while, XP is here to stay until most likely after the Next OS from MS, that is the one after Vista which will be full 64 bit according to an Executive Email from Bill Gates.

Defiance
09-24-2005, 09:10 AM
That's what I'm hoping.

Win98 can be installed indefinitely, so whether there's any support or not doens't matter too much. XP can only be installed as long as MS issues activation codes.

mattclary
09-24-2005, 11:26 AM
Microsoft isn't going to stop letting you register a product you bought just becaue they aren't giving free support for it. If they do, there are ways around that....

And here is the important part:

zapper1998
09-24-2005, 12:22 PM
what about this LONGHORN OS by Microsoft, what is that all about anyways??

Captain Obvious
09-24-2005, 12:35 PM
There is a lot of most likely biased information HERE (http://www.winsupersite.com/vista/).

WizCraker
09-24-2005, 06:56 PM

Its a transition from 32-bit to 64-bit, selected versions [such as premium and ultimate, and the business editions] are both 32-bit and 64-bit. The Next OS after Vista will be full 64-bit.

For more info on Vista here are the Different Vista Versions (http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_editions.asp).

lots
09-25-2005, 12:43 PM
Longhorn is Windows Vista's code name.

64bit XP is definately not anywhere as bad as Windows ME. In fact, its probably one of the best OSs that MS has to date. Using XP X64 my self, I can tell you that it is among the most stable OS releases from MS I've seen. Though part of this is definately because its based off Windows Server :P

The one draw back is the lack of some drivers. My hardware (a machine I put together my self) has full 64bit driver support, so it is not a big issue for me. Those who may have certain printers or tablets, etc, may be left in the dust because these companies are too lazy to publish drivers for all of thier hardware on the 64bit platform. You cannot use 32bit drivers in Windows X64.

Captain Obvious
09-25-2005, 03:00 PM
XP-64 is plagued by lack of functioning drivers, though, and a lot of software seems to, well, not work at all on it. Fprime, for example, supposedly doesn't work... I haven't heard anything regarding Vista when it comes to whether "pro" applications work or not, though. There are a lot of people running leaked betas (alphas?) of it, but most of them just run Firefox and MSN on them anyway.

lots
09-25-2005, 03:34 PM
X64 doesnt really have as HUGE a lack of drivers as some would make it out to have. My digital camera works fine, my creative sound card works just fine (wasn't even expecting that one), of cource all my motherboard devices and video card work fine (Nvidia). My mouse, firewire, and all the software I use works fine.

In fact I wonder what most people are complaining about :P Though I did do more homework than most people would, and it seems to have paid off.

About software. X64 doesnt really support 16bit code. Therefore software that relys in some way on it, will obviously not work. In most cases it is the installer that is still 16bit, and this causes problems when you try and install them. I dont know what the case is with FPrime, since I dont use it, but this is more of an issue with Worely's code than X64, I would think. Seeing as Lightwave works fine on my system. *Shrug*

Captain Obvious
09-25-2005, 03:52 PM
Well, as far as I've heard, the door swings both ways. XP-64 also broke a lot of viruses and other low-level malware. :)

I'm sure you're right, though. Most things work. But quite a few things do not. I'm sure it will change soon enough, though.

MiniFireDragon
09-25-2005, 04:14 PM
Keep in mind we are still in the 1st 6 months of Windows XP Pro 64bit. MS's track record is never buy MS software within 6 months - 1 year of release. Being that the 64bit version is more or less a revision to the 32bit version, I broke my rule of not buying an MS product so new. As for it breaking software, I really think it isn't the 64bit OS that broke it, but the 64bit that broke it.

As for MS Support of their products. Windows 98 is NO longer supported by MS. This simply means you won't be seeing programs written for Windows 98 any more (aka LIGHTWAVE). And because MS doesn't support the OS doesn't mean there aren't people out there who/know how. And also Microsoft's knowledge base is there for all version of Windows/Dos still today.

As for Corporations not having activiation codes, they do, but it's on a multi license issue. And every machine I worked on and installed always wanted to be Activated. I highly doubt MS is going to stop handing out activiation codes (and if you are using the SAME PC to install XP on over and over again, the old code you orginally recieved SHOULD work). The activation code processes is computer generated, MS could go out of business and as long as someone kept/bought the server that dishes out the code, it will go on for a very long time.

So in short, MS's support ONLY means that there will be companies who will write programs for that version of Windows.

On a side note, last time I reinstalled an OS repeativly was Windows ME. I find Windows 2000 and Windows XP to be highly stable with an occasional re-run of the windows installer with the newest service pack slip streamed to clean up the trash. MS did such a nice job of seperating software, hardware, security and a few other things into different registry hives that corruption becomes localized. A big problem with older versions of windows is registry corruption killed PC performance. Reinstalling Windows (don't use the R function, but act like you are putting a fresh copy on until it says it found an existing version of windows and would you like it to repair) blows out the hardware registry's fixing 99% of slow PC problems.

gjjackson
09-26-2005, 06:25 AM
As for Corporations not having activiation codes, they do, but it's on a multi license issue. And every machine I worked on and installed always wanted to be Activated... .

Are you sure it's truly a 'Corporate license' and not a multi-user license. Our Company has a 'Corporate license' and we Do Not have to Activate the license whatsoever. If it's the Professional version that doesn't mean it's a corporate license. A Professional version off the shelf still needs to be activated. Our copy installs much the same way as Win2K. Just insert the serial number and no activation via Microsoft required.

MiniFireDragon
09-26-2005, 06:57 AM
Yes, it must be the type of Licensing agreement the company has with MS. The place I deal with is a Non Profit Organization. It is a "Corporate" edition os MS XP Pro (doesn't have the shiny anti-piracy label).

mattclary
09-26-2005, 07:31 AM
Are you sure it's truly a 'Corporate license' and not a multi-user license. Our Company has a 'Corporate license' and we Do Not have to Activate the license whatsoever.

Ditto.

.................................................. .........................................

hstewarth
09-26-2005, 01:57 PM
XP Professional support lifecycle:

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223

Mainstream support ends Dec. 31, 2006, or in the best case scenario, 2008 if Vista is delayed till the end of next year. There's no way I'm changing my OS in 3 years. I use these computers for 5 years before getting a new one. Extended support is 2011, but that's pay-per-use. Does that include activation? I have a feeling it's possible. MS are in a position to be able to pull that off and still have people buying their products.

I am not sure how this comes into factor. But I believe these dates are for XP Professional with no service packs. As a MSDN subscriber, I know that Microsoft has change support to required users to use SP2. XP64 is not a mainstream OS and Vista is a while away. I am pretty sure that Microsoft will support XP for at least year or two after Vista is release.

On the subject of LW 9.0, any body know when it suppose to ship.

Earl
09-26-2005, 02:11 PM
On the subject of LW 9.0, any body know when it suppose to ship.
Nope. The only estimate NewTek has given is Q4 2005. That is just an estimate, however.

hstewarth
09-26-2005, 02:35 PM
I notice the following link on Microsoft Web site..

Microsoft search for XP Profession in Life line (http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/?sort=PN&alpha=XP+Professional)

It appears that XP Professional with SP 2 will retrie 2 years after next product is released and extended support 5 years after main stream support

Earl, I know that from the pre-order info. I am curious if there is an updated. How close is Newtek to releasing. Is it early or late 4Q. Hopefully it is 2005.

MiniFireDragon
09-26-2005, 04:07 PM
Let us not forget that Microsoft extended support for Windows 98 an additional 2 years beyond it's cut off date.