PDA

View Full Version : UV Clip map problem

badllarma
09-23-2005, 08:37 AM
Hi all,
I'm having a real problem with my clip maps not working with the UV texture it seem to be clipping the object texture incorrectly even though the Clip map is using the UV cordinates of the orginal colour map that works correctly any one any ideas?

I could add the clip map via Panner > Y > Auto size which will give a correct result but I wish to mulitiply the object and so it would then fall apart.

I wish to use clip maps rather than transparency do to the fact the object will be duplicated by the 1000's so want to cut out the largr render times.

mkiii
09-23-2005, 08:56 AM
I just did a quick test to make sure it works as advertised, and it does. I set everything up the same as you illustrate.

However. I noticed that if I set the UVs up so that they went fractionally outside the 0,1 boundary, then the object did not clip. It didn't look as bad as your example, but the whole thing was opaque.

After that, even after resetting the UVs, and remaking the clip map it didn't clip properly (a bug?).

Maybe that is the problem?

badllarma
09-23-2005, 09:55 AM
Just out of intrest mkiii if I move the polys E.G bend the leaf (currently a flat poly) into more of a leaf shape should the UV follow the surface of the new shape?

After that, even after resetting the UVs, and remaking the clip map it didn't clip properly (a bug?).

maybe where it all went wrong :rolleyes: I wish clips maps were for surfaces rather than objects it would make life so much easyer :thumbsup:

mkiii
09-23-2005, 11:36 AM
Well, it *should*...... in theory, otherwise what would be the point of using UV mapping? Mind you, I rarely if ever need to use clip maps, so maybe they work differently.

As for my earlier findings... It was a very rushed exercise, and I may have missed something important.

Initially, I forgot that I had to redo the clip map after I saved the bad uv version & re-sent it to layout (because this version had no clip map of course). But after I re-applied it in layout, it didn't work.

This is all very odd, and we are probably just being numbskulls. I have to go out right now, but I may well tinker with it later.

Dodgy
09-23-2005, 12:08 PM
Maybe you could post a file? It all should work...

badllarma
09-23-2005, 01:19 PM
Ok gents here's the files the bent leaf has just been moved in the Y axis and once again the clip map shows problems.

I've created two basic scenes as we all know the clip map info is only stored in the scene file and not the object.

cheers for any pointers
andy

Dodgy
09-23-2005, 03:41 PM
Turn mipmap quality to Off in the clip map editor.
You shouldn't need to, but that fixes it.

badllarma
09-23-2005, 04:10 PM
Cheers Dodgy worked a treat :thumbsup: