PDA

View Full Version : Camera to use for VT4

Lew
09-23-2005, 06:18 AM
I'm in the market for a new camera. Currently using DVCPro 25, but I'm thinking of buying DV, since I don't see much difference in pic quality between the two, and I'm hoping DV would be less $$$$$$$. Would very much like to stay below $10K for purchase price. So many choices now I would like to hear from those who like what they're using.
Thanks for any help.
Lew :help:

videoguy
09-23-2005, 07:14 AM
I would recomend the Jvc GY dv5100. It produces an awesome picture, plus it can record on large dv tapes for to 274 minutes of recording here is a link to jvcs website for more detail.

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/Attributes/features.jsp?feature_id=01&tree=&itempath=&model_id=MDL101526

tfrank
09-23-2005, 08:01 AM
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", or waveform, or vectorscope. I've seen good looking DV and bad looking. What is your market? I have clients who will not request anything less than DVCpro or BetaSP. The JVC mentioned is a nice camera, especially with the firewire drive option. I am looking at purchasing one myself. Depending on what kind of lens/viewfinder/firewire drive, it may be over your price point. I've seen $16,000 thrown around as a price. Look around for "B" stock. I've bought great DVCpro cameras from B&H photo for under $5,000. In fact, I buy most of our equipment as "B" stock. The equipment is esssentially new with factory warranty.

ScorpioProd
09-23-2005, 10:23 AM
DVCPRO25, DVCAM and DV all use the exact same codec and compression.

All else being equal, any perceived difference in video quality is imagination.

Yes, they use different track widths and therefore tape speeds, but this is nothing to do with quality, only error resistance and stability when linear editing them.

videoguy
09-23-2005, 10:28 AM
In a perfect world Eugene you are correct. However the quality of the CCDs, and other camera circuity is important. Also with the JVC it's composite output is straight from the CCD's as uncompressed 4:2:2 D1 Video. So in a live enviroment with a vt you could capture native uncompressed video that would produce a better quality image then DV I am not that other manufacuters do this.

ScorpioProd
09-23-2005, 10:36 AM
Did I say "all else being equal?" Yup, I did. :D

videoguy
09-23-2005, 10:40 AM
sorry Guess I should read a Little Closer.

Question for Lew; Do plan on staying with Standard Def. For a while yet. Prehaps you should look into purchasing an HDV Camera. all of them can record in standard def dv quite nicely

Lew
09-23-2005, 10:59 AM
Thanks for all the replys guys, very interesting discussion. I had already looked at the info on the Jvc GY dv5100, and I've got to say that the price I saw was well under the 10K that I'm trying to stay under. There's always a problem telling just what is included in a particular price however.

As too what I'm doing - mostly training and testing video. Now and then I have something go on local cable, and they want Beta or DVCPro, and I'm sure not buying Beta. However, I could still dump to DVCPro from the VT when I needed to send them a tape.

It does make sense that HDV would be a nice addition to any camera, even if I don't need it right now, however most of the affordable ones don't seem to have other features that I would miss, such as XLR audio inputs, scene files, interchangable lenses, etc.

As ususl, I seem to be in the middle of a change over and can't wait for the price of the new gear to come down to my level. Picture quallity is my major concern, followed by pro features for production.

mikkowilson
09-23-2005, 02:09 PM
I belive all the prosumer-HD cameras,but the "comsumer" sony HDV cams (the FX1 and it's little bro..), do have XLRs.. that's the Z1, A1, HD100, coming HVX200 and XLH1..
Interchangable lenses are aviable on the HD100 and the XLH1. Not sure baout scene files.. thgouh i belive all of them have some sort of options, the HVX and the XLH1 have card readers that can transfer these files too.

take a look at them and see what will work for you.

my personal faves are the HVX and the XLH1.
- the XLH1 will give you live SDI out.. so if you have the SDI card in yrou toaster you coudl do some VERY nice stuff with that.
- and the HVX will record DVCPRO 25/50/HD direct to the P2 card - so with the codecs on your comp, you would stay DVCPRO all the way out to tape!

...of course VT doesn't support HD ... yet..

- Mikko

ScorpioProd
09-23-2005, 08:50 PM
I love my Sony Z1, it's a great little camera for the smaller jobs...

But, my Sony DSR-300A is still without question my main camera.

Though the Z1 has a vaunted "HD lens", it's only 12X, which can't touch my 18X on the DSR-300A.

And the "iris knob" sure is a lot less responsive than a ring on the lens would be.

More importantly, there are NO HDV camcorders out that accept full size tapes. And for me, in the event business, that's a rather fatal omission. Heck, my beloved Sony doesn't even make an HDV deck that will take full size tapes, at least JVC does that!

As for the VT, who knows when that will work with HDV, or even just downconverted 16:9 properly... :screwy:

Tarheel Cougar
09-25-2005, 05:19 PM
I'm considering a HDV camera, but my big concern is how it looks in the studio or field in a live SD switch with the VT or Tricaster when your other cameras are DSR-300s? Sure it has the resolution, but what about the 1/3 CCD's? Anybody had experience using a HDV camera in a live environment?