PDA

View Full Version : Audio and video problems with VT

sierra
05-02-2003, 05:04 PM
1. Video Problem:
I just plugged in the adapters NewTek sent and I am now broadcasting out from the VT using S-video. It looks wonderfully clear except there is a lot of flickering on my tv, especially with intense reds, oranges, etc. How can I get VT to stop broadcasting that flickering? I did use the Video legalizer in Aura and changed all the colors accordingly with that filter.

2. Audio Problem:
My audio OUT connection from the VT produces a constant rhythmic thumping sound, plus occasional random static scratching noises. How do I get rid of that stuff?

Thanks. Sierra

Danner
05-03-2003, 02:31 AM
Does the flickering happen if you monitor the composite out? if there is no flicker on composite then your S cable might be bad or not conected correctly, Had something like that happen to me, I was using component conections to a Beta deck and somehow connected things wrong, (green cable to sync in I think it was) and like you said, some colors flickered like mad. No idea on the audio problems.. one thing to check besides cables is the LAN card, known problems are caused by local network collitions.

johnq
05-03-2003, 09:57 AM
Make sure you have S-video selected for output in the VT2 Preferences. At least on my SX-8 equipped VT2, it is set to component by default.

john

Keith Gandy
05-03-2003, 12:48 PM
Have you played with the settings in the toasterscope? If not, give it a shot. Open a Processing Amp and then set click on the small "s" in the upper right corner - this will give you an additional row of settings to adjust.

Open a Toasterscope and set it on the "y" tab.

Once both are up and running, the settings: saturation, u gain, v gain should take out some of the reds without totally killing the picture. Yes, you will lose some of the vibrant colors in the red spectrum, but it should somewhat minimize any illegal signal.

Other than five minutes of experimenting, it won't cost you any new cables in the short run.

mrjaialai
05-03-2003, 01:14 PM
audio problems have been known to happen if the case gets too warm. do you have enough cooling power?

sierra
05-04-2003, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the helpfulness.

As to the sound problem:

It occurs right from the get go, so I doubt it is a heat problem. Also we have enough cooling. My husband thinks maybe one of the cooling fans is creating a frequency feedback but he hasn't experimented with that as yet since we are trying other suggestions. But we will get to it. We just bought a top of the line computer so we will see if the vendor can help when he opens on Monday.

As to the video problem:

Our LAN connection is built into our motherboard and is not a separate card. Yes, we do have s-video selected in VT Preferences Output. But you're right, we had to change it from the default component.

Thanks about using Toasterscope. I saw that in the manual but forget about it. I will try working with that. We are probably using the wrong word when we say flicker. It more like a pulsing of color, slight radiating movement. But the picture is quite clear.

I'll check back with you all and post any results as they occur.

Thanks again, Sierra

sierra
05-05-2003, 08:43 AM
OK, I started working with the Toasterscope as you suggested Keith.

My problem is I can't get it to affect the project in Ted. I found where you can select the video source you want to affect but nowhere can you just pick something that lives on your hard drive that is loaded into ToasterEdit. So changing the dials in Toasterscope do me no good because nothing happens to the images I have on the ToasterVision monitor nor the TV.

Then I brought up the Proc Amp as the manual says to do but it seems to be concerned with images that are coming in to your computer from an outside source like a camera or a video deck and not with what is already in your computer. At least I can't find how to get it to relate to my project.

Do you know how to do this?

Thanks. Sierra

Dan Hong
05-05-2003, 09:06 AM
To make changes to brightness, contrast and hue in TEdit, go to the edit properties panel (F8 or the blue E at the bottom of the screen). Go to the drop down panel and select color correction. Everything you need will be there.

Keith Gandy
05-05-2003, 10:13 AM
Dan is right, the process amp only corrects incoming signals. The TEd side of color correction will be done via the edit panel.

One thing you might want to consider when using the edit panel. If you have a number of clips that need correcting, select all of them and make them into a subproject. You can then correct the subproject, which will in turn correct all of the clips at the same time.

This will really only be a time saver if all the clips are to be corrected.

sierra
05-05-2003, 01:33 PM
Thanks about finding the controls in the edit panel.

We had an amazing experience just now. We recorded our project on video tape to play on someone else's TV in case the problem is with our TV. When we played it back on our TV before taking it across the street to the other TV, we were astounded to see it doesn't show up even on our TV when played back on video.

All this fuss over something that doesn't even get recorded. I apologize for taking your time with it. I am baffled and relieved.

Also when my husband turned off our computer speakers (he had the sound going into a switchbox where you could choose TV or computer speakers), our sound problem disappeared.

So it's onward and upward for us now, we hope. :)

Thanks again all of you, Sierra

sierra
05-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Well I turned on the computer this morning and all our sound problems are back again.

We will take this up with NewTek support and post what the final answer is-- if we ever get it fixed. (That constant pulsing that breaks up the sound.) We got the tapping to go away by turning off "audio in" to the VT.

I'll post more when we know anything...Sierra

Danner
05-06-2003, 11:32 PM
hmmm is your audio coming AND going to a deck or mixer? if so you will have feedback weirdness (the audio loops on itself), make sure you turn off audio out on the VT audio mixer when recording to the VT and audio in when playing or recording to tape. Does that make sense?..

sierra
05-07-2003, 12:10 PM
Thanks Danner. I have pulled the slider for Toaster In on the audio mixer all the way to the bottom. Then I want to send out from the computer and I still get the distortions. Is there another way to turn off Audio In besides pulling that slider down?

Pulling out the Audio In cable in back of the computer doesn't seem to make any difference at all.

Danner
05-07-2003, 03:25 PM
hmm I'm out of ideas.. exept maybe some packet writing software, Easy CD creator or similar software causing a conflict. I had audio issues that went away after I blew the dust off the toaster card! it's very touchy. But yours is new so I bet it's not that.

sierra
05-08-2003, 10:30 AM
Danner,

We finally got through to tech support. We were given a laundry list of things to try and one of them is to turn off one little feature in the Direct CD software. So you might have put your finger on it. We are going through suggestion by suggestion. In case you are interested, here's our list:

In bios, disable Audio On Board sound card and turn off Plug and Play.

Upgrade Windows Media Player.

Check to see if the fire wire connection is interfering.

The feature in Direct CD we should turn off is what let's you right click on explorer to send a file to the cd burner.

I'll post when we solve it just for your general information (and anyone else who may read this).

Thanks again, Sierra

Scott Bates
05-08-2003, 11:02 AM
The feature in Direct CD we should turn off is what let's you right click on explorer to send a file to the cd burner.
Sierra, if you haven't seen this post (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=28155#post28155) from Paul Lara in the VT - Troubleshooter forum you should take a look at it. I hadn't heard that one could just turn something off in Direct CD, just that the whole Direct CD packet writing component ruins Windows for NLE software and generally requires reinstalling the operating system. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

sierra
05-08-2003, 07:26 PM
sbates, whoever you are, heed this: This is the most helpful post I ever had. I thank you for it.

I perused the Trouble Shooter messages for a long time and never found this info. It was too deep in the message about CAPTURE IS CHOPPY. Paul Lara is the moderator for both threads, I wish he had seen mine and pointed us in the right direction before now. We are feeling a little nuts with this constant sound problem and can't get on with the projects we must do. Perhaps NewTek should mention this in the specs for Video Toaster. We downloaded them and had our computer guy faithfully follow all the recommendations.

It is completely spelled out for us now, thanks to you pointing us to Paul Lara's knowledge about this. We will proceed to re-install windows 2K and re-install VT.

Anything that works is a godsend at this point.

Cordially...Sierra

Scott Bates
05-08-2003, 09:40 PM
Just another Toaster user Sierra, who's been at it a little longer than you so has seen more of these warnings flash by over the past 2-3 years. None of know everything, but between all of us the bases get covered pretty well. As long as you keep hanging in there and monitoring the excellent Toaster forums and mail lists you'll soon be answering questions instead of asking them.
:)

SBowie
05-09-2003, 06:14 AM
I hope that solves your troubles. :)

Just as an aside, this is something your dealer should have made sure you understood. You will likewise, in future, want to avoid ALL packet writing software. This includes DirectCD from Adaptec/Roxio, InCD from Nero, and similar utilities. You have to be careful, because I've seen these utilities pop up as part of the installation bundle on surprising things - like FireWire cards, for example.

sierra
05-10-2003, 10:42 AM
We're convinced we need to reinstall Win2000 and VT and only the Easy CD Creator (but not the Direct CD).

Assuming we got that right, could someone please walk us through the steps of destroying the current Win2000 and re-installing it from scratch? And isn't there something in the setup that will prompt us to do something about the SCSI RAID configuration?

Since a tech put our system together and installed everything, and since he's going to charge an arm and a leg to re-install, we're trying to do this ourselves. We're not novices, but we do need some help to do this right.

Thanks so much.

Sierra

SBowie
05-10-2003, 11:17 AM
Sierra, there are the basic steps, which could be listed with a bit of time; but then there are a lot of little "gotchas" (as you've discovered) and also things you can do which are beneficial though not always essential. I can sure understand not wanting to have to shell out, but is there no friendly Toaster user nearby who might be willling to hand-hold a bit?

sierra
05-10-2003, 02:29 PM
Yeah, Steve, we were convinced (actually by a post of yours about dealers) that we should go for a turn-key system. But just as we were ordering, our San Francisco dealer went out of business and could not process our order. So we found someone locally who builds high end computers and he did his best.

As you say, there are little things a dealer would know to save the hours of frustration. The closest person to help us now (that we know of) is three hours away in Modesto and we are trying to find a space in our calendars to get over there. But I hate to wait, you know how it is. Especially since my husband is pretty good at trouble shooting and computers in general (hardware). Our thought was we may be able to puzzle it through with some help from the forum. Which has already proven invaluable to get the video problems worked out. Now there is just the audio left.

Thanks, Sierra

SBowie
05-11-2003, 06:58 AM
Well, if you really want to go all the way, the installation of Win2k is pretty straightforward. When I get to that point, I do a truly full installation, formatting the drive and starting from scratch. That part is pretty much just following instructions on the screen.

Gee, there's way too much to type here, though - 300 hundred miles, huh? Have you tried an appeal on the VTNT list at yahoogroups.com for local users? T'would seem the must be someone in the area...

sierra
05-11-2003, 10:05 AM
Thanks, Steve.

It sounds like you're saying that installing Windows is easy enough but there's a laundry list of things to know in order to install VT.

When we were told by our SF dealer he was going out of business and could no longer help us, he stated that in reality installing VT was simple for a competent tech, and we could skip finding another dealer because they are too far away to help us anyway. This countered what I had read from you in the forums about the value of a dealer's knowledge but we didn't see a choice.

So we bought from an outfit in Texas recommended by NewTek's sales manager (to save Calif. sales tax since we had no close dealer.)

When we first encountered our problems, the Texas dealer said it is against NewTek's rules for him to help us now since we did not buy a turn-key system from him.

We accepted that, what could we do? That's why we turned to the forums. I have written to the VTNT about our problems but no one ever answered my questions. (I learn a lot from your postings there, btw, thank you for your input.) I might have missed the answer in all the verbage I have to plow through in the VTNT e-mails. But I went to the actual Yahoo forum and tried to find my submission and couldn't. It's not as facile as this forum. I could try that again if our next idea fails us.

We did get a long list of things to try from NewTek support and among them was the Direct CD problem, but nothing about wiping clean your drive and re-installing Windows. It just suggested we try to delete one function from DirectCD. It was from reading Paul Lara's post that we leaned the depth of the problem DirectCD can pose. Why doesn't the NewTek support person seem to know this information? I will ask him about it when we talk to him next time.

Since NewTek won't allow our dealer to help us, maybe they will walk us through this part. That is what we are going to try next. And actually our local computer tech must have done a good job except for not knowing about the DirectCD part because everything works just great except that. And everyone is right to love the Toaster. It's truly amazing.

I know you give your time generously and I don't blame you for not wanting to spell out a lot of info on installing VT. We will try NewTek and then perhaps the VTNT forum next.

BTW 300 miles? 3 hours away? How fast do you drive, Steve? We go at most 60 which makes the closest dealer 180 miles away. hmmmmm.....:) No wonder you are so far ahead of us.

Thanks again, Sierra

Paul Lara
05-11-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by sierra
...the Texas dealer said it is against NewTek's rules for him to help us now since we did not buy a turn-key system from him.

Sierra,
This seems to be a creative fabrication. There IS no such 'NewTek rule'. I will agree that tech support is complicated exponentially if the reseller doesn't have the slightest idea about the computer or configuration that Toaster is housed in, but he could have explained that, instead of laying the onus on NewTek.

In any event, I and many others are quite eager to get your system properly running, so you can enjoy the TRUE power of Video Toaster.

Jim Capillo
05-11-2003, 11:01 AM
I've got to agree with Paul. I've personally read many posts where my dealer Blaine from http://www.videohardware.com has helped out folks that haven't bought their systems from him. If Newtek had such a rule, they would've excommunicated Blaine A LONG time ago.......;)

sierra
05-11-2003, 12:46 PM
Well that's good to hear. I wonder if it would be worthwhile to try the Texas dealer again, and call him on his false statement, now that I know.

I am confident it will all work out OK. We will just go step by step until it is solved.

Thanks everyone.

Sierra

Dan Hong
05-11-2003, 04:30 PM
Hey Sierra,
I hope you're getting close to having a healthy Toaster. We've got a couple of tenative dates in your area. I'll let you know when they're firmed up. We're going to install at the public access in Healdsburg soon and we'll probably be in Santa Rosa at the public access to show them the VT[3] system. Hold on, we're coming.

SBowie
05-12-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by sierra

When we first encountered our problems, the Texas dealer said it is against NewTek's rules for him to help us now since we did not buy a turn-key system from him.

Snip....

I know you give your time generously and I don't blame you for not wanting to spell out a lot of info on installing VT.

Snip....

BTW 300 miles? 3 hours away? How fast do you drive, Steve? We go at most 60 which makes the closest dealer 180 miles away. hmmmmm.....:) No wonder you are so far ahead of us.

First, as others have noted, that's kind of a bogus excuse ... maybe just a misunderstanding? But anyhow...

Normally I'd be pleased to work through all this stuff, but I'm just a bit swamped these day (as witness my making only occasional visits 'in here.')

And finally, my mistook - we're metric up here, at 100km per hour 3 hours is about .... :-p

inquisitive
05-13-2003, 01:30 AM
I have had issues with the sound off the VT card as well, since the beginning. (However I have been so busy with other work that i hardly get to use the toaster/LW so my posts are few)

I use a pair of Sony's MDR7506 | no speaker | no mixer.

If I turn the computer on.. ill hear low crackles (sp?) / pops

It sort of sounds like the sound a vynil record would make if it had static buildup and you were to play it. little crackle, a pop and so on.

and since the last patch.. i loose sound more often.. were I have to remove driver turn off computer wait... then turn computer on.. sometimes do that a couple of times before the sound comes back.

I have a p4dc6+ with dual 2G xeon's - do not have direct cd installed .. onboard sound is off the only internal card is the toaster. is there a chance I might have a defective card?

and is there someone who has the same motherboard and also has a regular sound card installed?

The company I purchased the toaster from, it seems only builds their own high end boxes for large companies and doesn't seem to have any type of support of any kind.

Thanks

sierra
05-13-2003, 08:47 AM
We recognize the popping sound, crackling. Once we get VT running it seems to go away. Then we are left with the awful stuttering throughout our project sound as it plays in Toaster Edit.

These are the steps we took yesterday:

We uninstalled DirectCD, then re-installed Win2K, then re-installed VT.

We still have the problem. When we re-installed Windows, all Roxio disappeared. We have no CD burning software at the moment but we will put on Easy CD Creator 4 instead of the 5 version our tech put on our new computer. This because we found a Troubleshooting pdf file on VT and there it says that Easy CD Creator 5 can be worse than a virus even if you don't install Direct CD while Easy CD Creator 4 seems fine if you don't install Direct CD with it.

We haven't solved anything yet, but in case it's useful to someone else, I will post what happens as we go along. Maybe we can stumble upon an answer together.

We e-mailed NewTek support and Friday and haven't heard back yet.

Sierra

jackz
05-13-2003, 10:33 PM
Sierra

You might be beyond this by now...

But I've browsed this thread and haven't seen exactly what your hardware configuration is.

Which MotherBoard, CPU's, Ram, Video Card, Hard Drives, Raid Configuration, and any other PCI cards or USB/Firewire Devices you may be using.

And I'm really curious about which slot you have your RAID controller in (if any) and which slot you are using for your Toaster.

Depending on the Motherboard, and which PCI slots you may be using this could possibly be related to and an IRQ conflict.

If you still have Windows installed you might try this just to get an idea of a "Possible" conflict.

Right Click on the "MY Computer" Icon
Select "Manage"
"System Information"
"Hardware Resources"
"IRQs"

You might want to click on "IRQ Number" this will sort the list by the IRQ numbers.

The NewtekRTME is the Video Toaster. Just because it may be sharing an IRQ is not always a problem, but depending on what is it shared with could be...

for example you would not want it shared with your RAID controller, or Video Card, or maybe the Network.

Anyway... depending on which Motherboard you have maybe someone can speakup about which PCI slot may be the best for the toast to minimize any possible IRQ conflicts and maximize toaster performance.

The stuttering and poor audio performance could be caused by an IRQ problem.

The Packet writing software is definitely an issue. And like others indicated it can sneak in there if you aren't careful. Firewire and CD And DVD creator programs are likely problems, so watch as you install those to avoid any instant writing or direct to CD/DVD.

Hope this helps...
Jack Zabawa
VideoKahuna.com

jcupp
05-14-2003, 10:10 AM
OK, here is one no one has suggested yet. Check that the Microsoft PCM converter audio codec has a priority of 1. If it is not, and unless you set it already it's not, you may experience poor audio, stuttering audio, stuttering video and the heartbreak of psoriosis!

This can be found in ctrl panel | sounds & multimedia | hardware | audio codecs | properties | properties

If you change the priority go back and check that the codec is actually enabled.

sierra
05-14-2003, 10:24 AM
You are the first person to ask us any of this. Thanks for your thinking about our problem.

We did as you instructed.
In IRQ, video toaster is listed as number 23 and there's no conflict. However, there are three devices assigned to IRQ 9. And here are the three:

Microsoft ACPI Compliant System
PCI device
Multimedia Audio Controller

According to the Device Manager, none of them have drivers installed.

If this is the source of the problem, how do we change it?

The VT was originally 2 slots over from the video card and we moved it and it is next to the RAID card. And it hasn't made any difference at all.

Our system:
Motherboard Intel P4 (478)/850
CPU's Intel P4/2.5G-478/533
Ram one gig
Video Card G Force TI4800
Hard Drives 60Gig IDE
Raid Configuration Adaptec SCSI Raid 2X36Gig
Other PCI Cards Firewire 3Port
USB Firewire Devices On Board

Someone suggested on the VTNT Yahoo board that we could have a bad VT card. (Since we've tried everything to no avail.) We still haven't heard back from NewTek support since we e-mailed them last Friday. We wanted some help trouble shooting.

So we appreciate your giving us some more sophisticated ideas that we had on our own.

Sierra

sierra
05-14-2003, 10:46 AM
OK, here is one no one has suggested yet. Check that the Microsoft PCM converter audio codec has a priority of 1. If it is not, and unless you set it already it's not, you may experience poor audio, stuttering audio, stuttering video and the heartbreak of psoriosis!

Thanks for the idea. We changed the priority just as you instructed and re-booted. Unfortunately, we still have heartbreak of psoriosis. But many thanks anyway. Sierra

pfrench
05-14-2003, 12:59 PM
I don't see this mentioned anywhere else, can you tell me what build number of T[2] you are using? There were potential clicking and popping problems in a couple of the early releases of T2,

You should make sure you've got the latest available build (3890)

http://www.newtek.com/products/videotoaster/downloads/3890.html

sierra
05-14-2003, 01:03 PM
Yeah, thanks. We checked and we do have 3890.

Worth a shot.

Thanks...Sierra

sierra
05-14-2003, 04:57 PM
Well, after all this help and all these suggestions in this fine forum, it has been determined that we have bad board.

I did ask our dealer about the claim NewTek doesn't allow a dealer to help you unless you buy a turnkey from him. It turns out he admits, his employee was wrong and that's not true at all. (Which we knew already). We ended up talking to a seemingly very knowledgeable tech there who is convinced that our board is a bad one. Now we are waiting for NewTek to give us an RMA.

But, and this is an important but, we have learned so many things to try if anything goes wrong with our Toaster, I chalk it all up to an education about VT and certainly thank everyone for hipping us to possibilities we couldn't even think of for ourselves.

Thanks to you all again,

Sierra

sierra
05-15-2003, 12:07 PM
OK, we have our RMA and our board is going back to NewTek. Our dealer's tech, after listening to all the steps we've taken, concluded the board is most likely bad.

But I have one big question left. In the Trouble Shooting guide we found for VT, there are specific statements about Easy CD Creator 4 and 5. It says never install Direct CD with either versions of Easy CD Creator. It says Version 4 is OK without the Direct CD part but Version 5 "is worse than a virus".

Since we had to wipe out our hard drive, reformat it and reinstall Win2K and VT, we are hesitant to put Easy CD Creator 5 on again of course. Someone recommended a program called Nero. Does anyone have any recommendations about CD burning software (not packet writing--we know now not to put anything like that on.)

Our system:
Motherboard Intel P4 (478)/850
CPU's Intel P4/2.5G-478/533
Ram one gig
Video Card G Force TI4800
Hard Drives 60Gig IDE
Raid Configuration Adaptec SCSI Raid 2X36Gig
Other PCI Cards Firewire 3Port
USB Firewire Devices On Board

inquisitive
06-06-2004, 08:28 PM
what happened after you got your board back?
(i know this is an old post) just wondering how the problem was resolved.

sierra
06-07-2004, 09:17 AM
It was solved beautifully. The repaired board worked like a charm and I haven't had any trouble ever since.

Cordially,

Sierra