PDA

View Full Version : who better to ask than one's who know

fabmedia
05-02-2003, 04:18 PM
Okay, I had left a post to see if anyone had a Macintosh G4 model lying around, and there were no takers. So I reluctantly started to model my own. Now I have 2 here in my office, but i have a tendancy to overlook somethings so all that are familiar, please let me know if everything is looking okay as a start.

thanks
Arlen

paintboy
05-02-2003, 05:12 PM
arlen,
lookin good.
hope you dont mind markups, but its easier to show than tell sometimes.
arch the handles more(red)
get rid of the dimples(green)
those clear handles with the see through mounts are gonna be a meany=)
hope this helps

fabmedia
05-02-2003, 05:22 PM
Ah someone who's not afraid to scribble. The handles need to have a bit more arc? As for the mounts, holy crap, I'm having a real b**** of a time doing them. I'm hoping it wont take too long. This project kind of scares me...

Thanks!
arlen

fabmedia
05-02-2003, 08:03 PM
here's an update. I've managed to fix a slight error in the mesh, but I'm just checking out the acryllic for rendering.

I don't know if I had mentioned this, but I only modeled one corner and duplicated it. I thought it would be the easiest way to do it.

A

fabmedia
05-03-2003, 01:01 AM
and another...

archiea
05-04-2003, 03:44 AM
I wonder whats slower, rendering that image with radiocity, or just rendering on the mac!

:D

Jimzip
05-04-2003, 05:30 AM
Heh heh.. Very funny Archiea. But
YOU'RE IN THE MAC FORUM!!!!:mad: :mad:

That's looking good. I've got to do the exact same thing for a uni project. I hope I'm as quick..

Jimzip:D

fabmedia
05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Okay wise guy... hee hee.

I like that one.

We'll the next set of images will use the radiosity cheat, so no need from slow downs. I'm currently trying to implement the logo on the side. I think that once I'm done that, I'lll be home free.

A

Beamtracer
05-04-2003, 04:28 PM
Hi Fabmedia. Looks great. You're big challenge here isn't the modeling. It's the texturing. Then you'll be "home free".

The Mac casing has some of the most complex plastic textures there are.

I guess it depends exactly what model it is (most G3s and G4s are basically the same shape).
The G3s had a translucent white casing, whereas the G4s have a metallic plastic finish beneath the outer transparent plastic resin.

Anyway, it's good to have a challenge, and you'll be good at texturing if you can texture this!!!

fabmedia
05-04-2003, 04:47 PM
I've made sure that the textures of the side casing are going to be on 2 different meshes. The top mesh will be the clear acryllic and the secondary mesh underneath will be the "metallic" texture. I'm going to use my digital camera to see if I can accurately translate the texture and colour into the final piece. I think I'll have to set up my old portable photography studio from years back and try to get a couple of good shots.

Any other suggestions?

Arlen

Zarathustra
05-05-2003, 09:26 AM
I wonder whats slower, rendering that image with radiocity, or just rendering on the mac!

You'd think that with all that free time you have rendering so fast on a PC that you could spare a second or two to make sure you're spelling is ok.

I've never been to Radiocity. Is it nice?

fabmedia
05-05-2003, 09:57 AM
Oh brother, I'm not going to touch that one...

A

fabmedia
05-05-2003, 03:48 PM
Well, it's on it's merry f'n way. I spent about 1-2 hours patching this thing together. I had doing that. It's so freaking teadious. C'est la vie...

Anyway, I'm not too sure what's up with a couple of spots around the logo, but I do believe it's with the refraction of the acryllic. Any ideas?

Arlen

fabmedia
05-06-2003, 08:06 PM
Okay now. After doing this over and over and over and.... well you get the picture, I still have problems with the mesh. I don't know what it is, but if I smooth the logo surface, then all goes to hell. But anyway, how does this look?

Arlen

fabmedia
05-08-2003, 03:19 PM
Well still working. I figure that if I can do this, I can model almost anything (correct me if I'm wrong). It's been a long haul and a slow process. It is not the easiest thing to do. But here's an update

A

paintboy
05-08-2003, 04:22 PM
Lookingood!!!
now the front panel, and all you'll need is the startupchime.:D

fabmedia
05-08-2003, 04:25 PM
Well believe it or not, all the ports in the back need to be done too, and the air vent holes, etc. I'm just wondering if I should "scratch" it up, add some dust, etc.

What do you y'all think?

A

paintboy
05-08-2003, 04:53 PM
well...your call,but i have 3 of the darn things here and they all look like they just came out of the box. :)

fabmedia
05-08-2003, 07:03 PM
Well, here's another... I'm having trouble with the poly count now. In order to deal with the speaker, I've had to freeze the mesh and that boosted the poly count by 180,000. So now I have a 240,000 poly mesh.

Ouch!

A

fabmedia
05-09-2003, 05:01 PM
And another... I managed to rethink and reorganize my polygons and have kept the mesh at a simple 25,000 polys. It's still high, but they rest in the side pannels. I'm sure i can get right of a few.

A