PDA

View Full Version : VT4.5 Filters

Realimagesvideo
09-22-2005, 05:03 PM
Could someone explain the Comp/Expand Filter settings located in the effect folders.

If you care to explain the other filters in that folder please do. I can not find any documentation on these filters. Yes, some of these filters are self-explanitory...others...it would be my guess.

ScorpioProd
09-23-2005, 10:33 AM
I don't think there is any documentation for the effects filters... There probably should be...

But as for the Compressor/Expander, it is set just like a hardware one, the settings are the same.

I'll give you my own recommended settings that work for 99% of the situations I've encountered:

First, don't check the expander on, in my experience, that will risk blowing your speakers and not do anything you want it to.

As for the compressor:

Threshold 6dB
Ratio 10:1
Attack 1ms
Release 100ms
Makeup Gain 0dB

Note that the compressor is a soft knee compressor with a 3dB window of gain reduction. Therefore I chose 6dB for my threshold to keep my maximum level between +3 and +6dB on the VT's meter.

billmi
09-24-2005, 11:26 AM
Yes, docs definitely would help.
For example, how does one tell an audio filter what it is filtering? Will it be applied to everything above it on the timeline, or does it lock to a particular clip the way a DVE does?

videoguy
09-24-2005, 11:33 AM
It applies to everything above it on the timeline

ScorpioProd
09-24-2005, 11:24 PM
Yup, which can be useful at times, but which can also be a significant weakness at times.

Randall Chesbro
09-24-2005, 11:28 PM
It was my understanding that 0 had no compression so it has to be - 6 or in some case -10 and the makeup gain at6 ish alesis comressors are this way useing -# and thats how iv been useing it workes great.