MrWyatt
09-22-2005, 11:57 AM
whats your point dude? :question:

cresshead
09-22-2005, 12:52 PM
neat modeler addition for 3dsmax and not too pricey either

MrWyatt
09-22-2005, 03:23 PM
yeah, i got that too but whats the point of posting a link to a 3dsmax plugin on a lightwave site. nothing against other packages, i am sure max rocks big time. it just seems a little odd to post a thread like this with nothing more than a link and no info at all to why the link was posted. was it a feature request for a plugin that max has and lw doesnīt? or was it a post meant to show off how cool max and itīs plugins are compared to lw? i really donīt get it. I only think such threads on a lw forum could easily be taken as flamewar bait, and we all know what it looks like when threads go ugly.

just a thought.

meatycheesyboy
09-22-2005, 03:54 PM
If you look at the OP's history, you'll see that posts similar to this are all that he's ever contributed. I'm with Mr. Wyatt on this one, what's the point?

Castius
09-22-2005, 03:57 PM
There is no point trying to dicifer his intent without any comments. He very well could be trying to see peoples responce to the plugin to see if they feel like porting to LW.
Like with every other post. Take what you want from it and Let the mods decide what to do.
I see it as usefull reference of what is possible.

Castius
09-22-2005, 04:02 PM
You can also see from his other post that he types very little. And he has showed an eirlier teaser link that asked if this could be made for LW.

You might want to take it private before you take out the pick forks and torches.

Signal to Noise
09-22-2005, 04:18 PM
...i am sure max rocks big time. ...

Replace "rocks" with "crashes" and you've got a valid statement. :D

That is one of the reasons I turned to LightWave. More stability and easier on the pocketbook. I stopped at max 4 and never looked back since. :)

Chris S. (Fez)
09-23-2005, 12:51 AM
Max has come a long way since 4.

I use Polyboost pretty often these days and would welcome similar tools/functionality in Lightwave.

AbnRanger
09-23-2005, 02:57 AM
Replace "rocks" with "crashes" and you've got a valid statement. :D
Hey now!... I resemble those remarks. Max 7 had been crashing consistently (after an hour or 2 of work) on me for about a week there, but has been nice to me this week. It was probably due to my video card driver or something (using XP Pro x64). Funny, though, it wouldn't do it with other programs...but other than this recent occurence, I've experienced no crashes w/ Max 7 since it came out last year.

That is one of the reasons I turned to LightWave. More stability and easier on the pocketbook. I stopped at max 4 and never looked back since.
it being easier on the pocketbook is the reason I'm a new LW user.

BazC
09-23-2005, 04:03 AM
"I use Polyboost pretty often these days and would welcome similar tools/functionality in Lightwave."

I'd LOVE to see something like this in Lightwave. This is the best looking suite of tools I've seen in any app! It's cheap too! **** you could put this out as a stand alone modeller and it would be impressive! - Baz

mattclary
09-23-2005, 06:07 AM
█ SUPER Moding 2.0
http://www.cmlcreative.com/Videos/PolyBoost2_video.avi

http://www.polyboost.com/videos.htm

:vticon: :vticon: :jester: :jester: :devil: :newtek:

OK, I see in all your posts you include the little square black thingy. What is the significance? Why all the icons? Do you just randomly start picking icons to include?

erikals
09-23-2005, 06:20 AM
Max is $3.500 +expensive upgrades. Adding this plug, it's $3.600, but that is for 3Dmax7, not 3Dmax8.

But very cool plugin, if LW had a plugin like this for $99 I'd definetly jump on it.

This could have been posted under feature "request" I guess... :)

hrgiger
09-23-2005, 06:47 AM
Why all the icons? Do you just randomly start picking icons to include?

funny, that's the same thing I asked when I looked at the Max Interface.

mattclary
09-23-2005, 08:19 AM
funny, that's the same thing I asked when I looked at the Max Interface.

LOL!!! :thumbsup: :devil: :agree: :hammer: :gotpics: :Tricaster :neener: :lol:

art
09-23-2005, 09:00 AM
OK, I see in all your posts you include the little square black thingy. What is the significance? Why all the icons? Do you just randomly start picking icons to include?

The black thingy probably indicates the void that this tool is supposedly filling for max, and maybe the same void exists in modeler.

Two jesters might indicate that we (community) should not punish him too hard for his max post and this was more like a joke.
The devil could mean that he's trying to make us switch to max, or more likely that he's playing devil's advocate, trying to make 3rd party developers or even NT themselves come up with something like this for LW.
Ne NT logo most likely means "Go Newtek!"
Now.. the first two toaster icons are very cryptic. They could be a metaphor for giving a toast to "let's have this for lightwave too."

Matt, what exactly is the meaning of the numbers in your signature :hey:

Of course, this post is a :jester: too, including the comment on Matt's signature :lwicon:

mattclary
09-23-2005, 10:28 AM
Matt, what exactly is the meaning of the numbers in your signature

Now I can't just go giving away cryptic secrets! Seek, and ye shall find. :yingyang:

digital verve
09-23-2005, 10:33 AM
Mmm. I think someone likes watching Lost. :D

hrgiger
09-23-2005, 12:09 PM
On a more serious note (and treasure this moment, I don't have many "serious" moments), the tool looks very cool and I can't help but think of how useful it could be for Lightwave. Especially:

1. Did you notice as he added isoparms that the curvature of the model adjusted to keep the curve? I can't tell you how great this would be for subpatch modeling in Lightwave, to run bandsaw and have the curvature of the model unaffected.

2. The ability to draw polygons out to adhere to a model/shape in the background.

3. Being able to draw an adjoining polygon by pulling one of the points.

4. The UV adjustment tool is just abso-fuc-ing-credible. That would be a godsend.

cresshead
09-24-2005, 08:00 AM
sure does look interesting...i have lw and max 7.0 and will soo be getting max 8.0 so i'll look at what max 8.0 adds in there for modeling, i know already about the pelt mapping which looks very interesting!...

re modeling in max i find it quite slow and annoying compared to lightwave but this tool may bring me back to modeling in max again...we'll see..we also lok forward to lightwave 9.0 and what that will bring to the party as well remember!

max is good to spline modeling 2d shape and extruding and also sploine patching is okay but poly modeling is fine if you don't want to see your model meshsmooth as you work...that's painful currently and well behind when looking against lightwave or silo or xsi.

Emmanuel
09-26-2005, 09:34 AM
Wow, so Max is 5 (!) times the price of LW !?
****.The only thing I really would love to have is character studio :(
Why oh why wasnt that to become a standalone app, now it has been devoured forever by Max :/

cresshead
09-26-2005, 11:13 AM
a combination of lightwave and 3dsmax is ace for me.....both are very nice to use in their strengths and they compliment each other quite well...my main reason for keeping max uptodate is indeed character studio, the modifier stack and motion capture support/data thinning for characters...some of max's editing of splines/text and instancing make it great for illustration work with loads of 3d text...though lightwave's modeler is VERY nice and lw render/lighing/surfacing is very effective with little effort.

both are great apps..and both are worth their price...max is around Ģ2200 plus vat...i'm now on subscription so it's Ģ295 per year to keep current and get the goodies early as well......

i've tried xsi and will have another bash at it but...not holding out much hope to convert myself to it even if is is so cheap [foundation]...for 'me' max IS worth 10x the price of xsi foundation
...... :thumbsup:

erikals
09-26-2005, 02:24 PM
XSI (the full product) pricing is too high (personal opinion). Foundation version is ok, but is limited for modeling/animation, though an idea is to use it for special features only, sort of like a plug-in. It sure has some cool features though, it all depends on what you want to achive.

I hope they make Lightwave able to "do everything the other packages can do -but slower" again though, like it seemed to be years back.

It makes me curious what Lightwave 9.5/10 will look like. Hopefully it will look more like Max/Silo. :king: and not so much be only a program for freelancers/hobbists, I don't think the last option would be a good strategy as it would IMO make the best LW artists run away :(.
Time will tell. Guess I can't expect LW to compete with packages that are 4-5 times the price.

------------------------
'bout the plug...

- Basically, my favorite tools are shown 4min35sec out in the video, notice how the "knife/bandsaw" tool not only divides the polys in two, but actually make the new curve in an intelligent way, following the "flow" of a more high-res object. (hard to explain).

- My favourite, The Viewport Canvas, 6min30sec out in has really cool features, I "LOVE" the Clone tool 07min30sec out in the video.

- UVW tweak, 8min30sec out in the video. Looks quite cool.

------------------------
And it cost only $96 8/

Well, a Lightwave 9 upgrade for $385 really isn't that bad either.
Hmm, must check if Zbrush can do the same "Clone-tool" thing as the "Viewport Canvas" in that video. Btw, anyone knows?

Sorry for all the typing :)