PDA

View Full Version : Security Question when streaming live over the net from VT4.5

TAV Media
09-22-2005, 07:39 AM
I finally got my VT opened up to the outside world. I'm currently checking on getting a static IP from my ISP, and some type of software firewall (Norton Internet Security).

My question is, when people access my modem, I have them forwarded to port 80 at the VT4.5's IP address. I don't exactly know how all of this works, I just know how to make it work. That being said, I have a few security questions:

Is this the only opening people have; meaning they can only see whats coming off of port 80 at the VT?

Is this dangerous; meaning can they access any other part of our network through this port?

Am I overly concerned about this? This is for a church, and I'd rather not sacrifice the integrity of their network without a full unerstanding of what happens when we hit that stream button!

Thanks!

MBeck
09-22-2005, 08:21 AM
You should be fine if port 80 is the only thing you have fowarded. Port 80 is just for web traffic, so you should be good. Are you running windows XP? If so you can turn on your windows firewall. You will have to make an exception for port 80.. but it would be an extra security step.. but not really needed.

billmi
09-22-2005, 09:04 AM
My question is, when people access my modem, I have them forwarded to port 80 at the VT4.5's IP address. I don't exactly know how all of this works, I just know how to make it work. That being said, I have a few security questions:

Is this the only opening people have; meaning they can only see whats coming off of port 80 at the VT?

That depends on what you did to make it work. If your modem is connected to a firewall/router that is what you set to forward the traffic to port 80 on the VT, and the only thing you are forwarding traffic to is port 80 then that's all folks are going to be able to get to see.

Is this dangerous; meaning can they access any other part of our network through this port?

All depends on how the gateway between the LAN and the 'net is configured. If the only thing you're forwarding is to the VT's port 80, your security will basically be in the same state it was in prior to setting up the forward.

Am I overly concerned about this? This is for a church, and I'd rather not sacrifice the integrity of their network without a full unerstanding of what happens when we hit that stream button!

It's hard to be too concerned about network security. IMHO, you're making the right move by learning more about it.