PDA

View Full Version : Image editor in V8.3 probs with no file types

GreyGhost
09-22-2005, 06:06 AM
I have just bought LW8.3 and have installed it on my G5. The first problem I have experienced is when I try to load an image albeit .psd or jpeg etc in the Image Editor all the file types are greyed out which has meant me having to use 7.5. Also, in Lightwave whilst setting up my scene and adding a light the program crashes. I bought this upgrade because I thought Newtek had ironed out bad bugs in v 8.3. Is this wasted money as 7.5 works reasonably well albeit VIPER fails most times and my function keys don't work. Why are the function keys different in LW 8.3? Sorry for the moans but this is very frustrating and I do not know enough about the program yet to be able to deal with these issues. Please somebody help with simple "how to" information. Appart from that........Yep!..a good day.

BeeVee
09-22-2005, 06:14 AM
Sometimes LightWave can get instable or lose menu items, shortcuts or plug-ins because of conflicts in the configs. The best solution is to delete the ones you have and start afresh.

WARNING! This will kill any customisations you have made, so it's a good idea to use the editors to save menus and shortcuts.

1. Load the Layout portion of LightWave;
2. Hit Alt F11 (or go into the Utilities Tab and click on the Edit Plug-Ins button) and then the Scan Directory button and point it to your LightWave plugins folder. It will scan the plug-ins and give you a message like "xxx Plug-Ins found in xxx files.";
3. Hit Alt F10 (or go to the Edit menu and choose Edit Menu Layout) and change the Presets menu to LightWave 7.5. Return to it and change it back to Default;
4. Hit Alt F9 (or go to the Edit menu and choose Edit Keyboard Shortcuts) and change the Presets menu to LightWave 7.5. Return to it and change it back to Default;
5. Now quit LightWave and start Modeler from your new icon;
6. Repeat steps 3 and 4 but be aware that the Preset Menu will only offer LightWave 7.0;
7. Quit Modeler and quit Hub too.

B

GreyGhost
09-22-2005, 06:21 AM
Hello BeeVee,
Thanks for the very quick responce. Are your instructions specific to 7.5 or 8.3?

BeeVee
09-22-2005, 06:24 AM
They go better with 8.x, but they should work equally well with 7.5, however the keyboard shortcuts will be different and the locations for the editors.

B

GreyGhost
09-22-2005, 06:55 AM
Thanks again BeeVee,
I have followed your instructions and am pleased to announce, all appears to be well. The files are now recognised and Layout launches from Modeler ( this function was also greyed out). Joy.....I shall now get on with my work!........at peace.

GreyGhost
09-22-2005, 09:21 AM
BeeVee,......still got a problem. The F9 and I presume others doesn't function properly. WQhen I press F9 the interface and pallets divide out to the sides of the screens (using 2). I have to hit enter to return the interfaces to normal but no render. In order for a render to be undertaken I have to use the tool bars. Any ideas?

BeeVee
09-22-2005, 09:44 AM
Yup, that's Exposť for you. Don't hit F12 to switch between Layout and Modeler either if you are running Tiger - that starts the widgets thing. You have to go into your prefs and set the shortcuts for OSX differently.

B