PDA

View Full Version : Archeological sensation!

Deep_Thought
09-21-2005, 08:01 AM
Well... somehow. :-)

I just dug up some old stuff of mine and found an animation that I thought lost for almost 10 years. So here it is, the best computer to run Lightwave:
Amiga.avi (http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~andrasz/data/Amiga.avi)

The animation is about 5.4 MB in size and 45 seconds long. All rendered with Lightwave 4 on an Amiga 1200 with a back then incredibly new and expensive 68060 acceleration board. I started the rendering in August 1997 and went to Greece for a two weeks vacation. When I came back it was not even half finished. The animation took about 5 weeks non-stop to render all of the ~1100 frames. You see: Amiga rulez!
http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~andrasz/data/ugly_smilies/uglyhammer.gif

I converted the animation to DivX long ago, but the codec screwed up a bit. All the newer things I do now are coded with XviD. Very reliable and easy to watch with most players.

So I hope you enjoy this little piece of history.

Captain Obvious
09-21-2005, 08:22 AM
That was downright awesome.

JadaFecT
09-21-2005, 12:10 PM
lol quality for 'back in the day' :D

ACLOBO
09-21-2005, 01:08 PM
HA, the last time I used my Amiga 1200 was due to Lightwave... THe harddrive crashed during an overnight rendering in lightwave and when I woke up and say the machine hadn't finished, I rebooted and found it had died. The platter in the harddrive actually had a GROOVE cut into it from the read head....

That was the last time I used my old trusty A1200. THen I was without a computer for like 2 years. Then I bought my first PC and started to use Lightwave again.

:-)

I remember rendering a logo animation with my 69030, 50mhz A1200 that took 3 days (day and night) to finish.

-Adrian

Tiger
09-21-2005, 01:11 PM
Well done! :thumbsup:

Deep_Thought
09-21-2005, 02:50 PM
Hehe, those were the old days! :-)
Well, my Amiga is still alive and well despite that 5-weeks-rendering-marathon, but I have to admit that modern LW on a decent x86 machine is no comparison to Amiga LW5. Shame, I wish Motorola would have pushed the 68000 series as far as AMD and Intel pushed x86. Could you imagine that? A 1,5 GHz 68080 or something? Wow, would have been awesome.
But, alas, it didn't happen that way. So here we are with a little bit of nostalgia which I am more than happy to share with you.
Thanks for all the positive comments. :l33t:

DragonFist
09-21-2005, 03:36 PM
I miss my Amiga 2000 and Lightwave 4 and Macroform. :cry:

Mebek
09-21-2005, 04:51 PM
Super cool animation. I love the particle effects (have always been a particle man myself, one of the reasons I got into 3D in the first place - huh, I rarely use them anymore though).

Just for hoots and giggles, do you still have that scene and objects? Curious to see how blazingly fast it would be rendered by today's computers. 5 weeks vs... 30 minutes, perhaps? That would be 1.63 seconds per frame. I could see that.

Deep_Thought
09-21-2005, 05:31 PM
Unfortunately, no. This avi is all that is left from those glorious days.
I think I could rework the scene, but I am not absolutely sure. One wonderful thing was an Amiga program that took an lwo and distributed its points equally among a cube volume. Thats how I made the particles that morph into the cpu. I have never found that very program again. It is lost in the shadows of time. :-)
Aw ****, I think I just have to look thoroughly into Aminet and will ultimately find it. But right now I have no plans of re-engineering that scene. Still playing around with explosions. But who knows, my Amiga certainly deserves a giant monument so maybe I will come up with something similar in the future.
Until then the animation will have to suffice for my Amiga nostalgia.
Well, for the time calculations: The anim rendered about 5 weeks on a 50 MHz 68060 with 48 MB of RAM. It consisted of exactly 1120 frames which would translate to an average of 2700 seconds per frame. I remember vividly that the first frames with the multiple gold reflections inside the logo took about 3 to 4 hours to render. But anyway, lets assume an average 2700 seconds per frame. My computer has now an Athlon XP-M 2,1 GHz cpu and 1 GB memory. I do not know how much the amount of RAM is contributing so I just stay with the cpu power. 2,1 GHz = 50 MHz * 42. (42! lol)
I would like to render the animation at least with double resolution, i.e. 800x450 instead of 400x225. That would multiply the pixels per frame by 4. So we have:
1120 frames * 2700 seconds / 42 * 4 = 288000 seconds = 3,33 days or 3 days and 8 hours. Well, not exactly half an hour but still much faster.
Of course, there is much more. My cpu is not only faster by speed but also by architecture, 20 times the amount of RAM have to be of some significance, too. Last but not least Lightwave itself has improved a _lot_ since the old days. So I think those 3 days are an upper border for the worst case. Maybe it will only take a few hours to render the animation again, who knows. But hey, your idea just started me on that whole Amiga animation thing again. :-)

DragonFist
09-21-2005, 05:50 PM
Deep_Thought. 42. LOL. You said you couldn't calculate the question and yet you just did. Uh, you are on Earth, however. Could mean something.

Then again, maybe all Deep_Thought's answers are 42. That would explain a lot.