PDA

View Full Version : turn objects into area lights

Schwing
09-21-2005, 07:56 AM
As the title says.

Surrealist.
09-25-2005, 10:51 PM
As the title says.

How about Luxigons? I am curious why you woiuld need an object to become a light. Just curious.

Captain Obvious
09-26-2005, 02:02 AM
Why not just say "give us raytracing for luminous polygons!" instead? I'd greatly prefer that. It would make many things much easier. Kray does that, I believe, and supposedly does it faster than it does raytracing to area lights. F9 should be able to do the same, I say.

Schwing
09-26-2005, 08:13 AM
Why not just say "give us raytracing for luminous polygons!" instead? I'd greatly prefer that. It would make many things much easier. Kray does that, I believe, and supposedly does it faster than it does raytracing to area lights. F9 should be able to do the same, I say.

That would probably be the same think but render faster. Great idea.

Captain Obvious
09-26-2005, 09:44 AM
Imagine if you, for example, want to create a lamp with a spherical translucent "softener globe." Now, you have to set up spinning lights inside the sphere and try to get that working, or use radiosity and wait for ages. With raytraced luminous polygons, you can just add luminosity to the sphere, have no actual lights at all and render immediately, getting much better results in much less time. I would kill for it. Well, maybe not, but I would sure like it! :D

Surrealist.
09-26-2005, 02:47 PM
OK I missed the boat entirely on this one with my litteral thinking. You mean make an object into an "area light". For to make it into an area light would just be redundant - should have figured there was more behind that.

Do you mean then that the object would itself emit light? Not just like luminosity with radiosity but actually glow and give off light?

Say like a virtual lightbulb? It would both emit light, be seen as glowing and be controlable as a light source?

Captain Obvious
09-26-2005, 03:47 PM
Like I said, some render engines can calculate the light from luminous polygons using fairly standard area light raytracing methods. Kray, for example, can do this. It's a LOT faster than radiosity, and infintely more versatile than normal area lights. It is also completely independant from glow effects and such.

For example, if you want to create a completely natural lightbulb, for a close-up shot or whatever, you could create an actual wire inside the bulb and make it very luminous. Instead of turning on radiosity and adding a spinning area light and a fill point light and a (etc), you just make it 2000% luminous and hit F9, and it gets rendered in full raytraced glory. It will really make some things a lot easier.

Surrealist.
09-26-2005, 06:19 PM
Got it. Thanks.

evenflcw
09-26-2005, 09:04 PM
Acctually I would prefer "turn objects into area lights" rather than "give us raytracing for luminous polygons".

If meshes could be converted into proper light type items this would make managing all light sources in the scene much easier, as all light sources would be identified AS lights! This as opposed to having some light sources be lights and some objects. I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of using lowpoly proxies for lighting (emitting based on normals) simular to how you use lowpoly proxies for dynamics. However, I'd like both options as sometimes you might not want to have two items that define different properties for the same entity...

...Perhaps NT should just rework the item structure so any item can be any and all item types at the same time :) That is, no proxy needed! Just hit a switch and your mesh is a object type item aswell as a light type item.

Captain Obvious
09-27-2005, 01:20 AM
If I could raytrace luminous polygons, I'm not so sure I would use any ordinary lights at all! :D

Still, you have a very good point. "Raylumigons" produce all sorts of user interface issues in Lightwave. You have another point in that NewTek should probably rethink the way you work with different kinds of items, at least if they add Raylumigons.

Karmacop
09-27-2005, 03:11 AM
We can only hope for Light plugins, I think that would handle what you're talking about with no issues.

As far as raytrace luminouse polygons, does that just reflect the luminous polygons on the surface instead of having a specular highlight?

Captain Obvious
09-27-2005, 03:52 AM
As far as raytrace luminouse polygons, does that just reflect the luminous polygons on the surface instead of having a specular highlight?
That would probably be best, since they'd turn up in raytraced reflections anyway. On the other hand, if they appear as specular highlights, BRDF and such would work on them...

silverlw
10-03-2005, 06:14 AM
These might not be the most beatiful works but shows lightning without lights.
Only luminous polys used in Kray. I am still exploring this technique in Kray.
Rendertime is about 30 minutes depending on AA

Captain Obvious
10-04-2005, 12:52 AM
The lighting from the luminous polys is not photon mapped like the rest of the GI, right?

silverlw
10-05-2005, 08:14 AM
Luminous polys emits photons if thats what you mean.