PDA

View Full Version : slowness of Baking radiosity

Johnny
09-20-2005, 03:18 PM
I am baking radiosity for a scene that's 1280 x 720, and I have the render window, and the baking in progress window, but there doesn't seem to be much actual progress..the numbers in the bakin progress window aren't changing. but I wonder if this is such a CPU intensive thing, that LW gives all priority to the baking and little to none to the reporting of the baking.

any thoughts?

edit: I forced quit, restarted the Mac and tried again..both times, the baking gets to 98% done, then *appears* to hang.

J

toby
09-20-2005, 05:41 PM
How long does it stall? Are you watching the process viewer/cpu monitor?

Since you have to bake with one thread anyway, you might want to render it in a second copy of LW in the background, and just forget about it for a day... it can be really slow, especially if you turn on AA and noise reduction. Turning those off and upping the rays to compensate can save you a lot of time.

Johnny
09-20-2005, 05:44 PM
First, I have to say I'm new to this baking business...

First time, it seemed to stall for about 4 or 5 hours. This (2nd) time, it got to 98% but then to 99%, and then produced an image, and the render progress window is (slowly) drawing in...

So, maybe the first time it got stuck was an anomaly?

I'll keep in mind your points in future, tho..

thank you!

J

Dodgy
09-20-2005, 05:54 PM
Are you baking to an image with AA on? Cause AA slows baking to a crawl..

Johnny
09-20-2005, 05:56 PM
I am using Classic Enhanced Low...or do you mean that AA check box in the Render palette?

J

toby
09-20-2005, 10:40 PM
Yea we mean AA in the baking panel. Doesn't matter what the camera's setting is.

There's a lot ot learn about baking isn't there? I always get at least one error when I start. I've forgotten to turn off multi-threading, or there's an ngon in the object, etc.

I hope you're rendering to a 24 bit image... the alphas are always just the wireframe and can ruin your image -

Johnny
09-21-2005, 04:45 AM
AA in the baking palette was not checked, and I am rendering a 24 bit image..had to stop and restart the process again; it produced a much smaller image than I entered in the baking palette: 512 instead of 1280.

Also, is it normal for LW to show an image result BEFORE the rendering is done? The baking progress panel went away, and an image window popped up, but rendering was still underway.

after 12 hours, the image was on pass 2 of 5...gonna take a LONG time for this!

J

Dodgy
09-21-2005, 05:19 AM
Yeah, when the baking is finished, it displays the resultant image. You can then cancel the render if you so wish :)

Johnny
09-21-2005, 05:36 AM
ahh...now, THAT is good to know...otherwise we'd be hanging mistletoe before this render would be done!

J

Johnny
09-21-2005, 11:48 AM
is there a limit to baked image size? default is 512, but I am putting in 1280, bcs my scene is 1280 x 720. is this too large?

I seem not to be able to "get there" with 1280...

J