PDA

View Full Version : Sonny's Ride; a short video

blackglove
09-20-2005, 01:44 PM
Hey again, y'all. Here is a link to a short (2 min) video from an anime-style film I've been noodling around with for a while. I also composed the music for this piece.

Sonny.wmv (5 MB) (http://64.70.241.60/Sonny.wmv)

A few explanatory notes:
The tattered realm in which Sonny (the depicted character) lives is a visual metaphor for his subconscious life. He is in his underwear because his clothes have been stolen by the night's amorous partner of chance. There is no time in this world, and the tolling of the bell is the only marker of temporality (the interval times for the bell-ringing are actually pirated into this world by someone who dwells near a leak into reality). At the end of the piece Sonny rolls into a squatter block wherein he expects to find last night's guest for a few angry words (which is, of course, not what happens). This video is a credit sequence.

DragonFist
09-20-2005, 03:37 PM
Nice. I especially like the alternate route of the camera down the elevator shaft. Say all you need to know about what he does without animating it all. And adds some style.

Is this "rotoscoped", Mocap or hand animated?

blackglove
09-20-2005, 06:37 PM
It's all hand-animated. I really wish I could do mocap...

DragonFist
09-20-2005, 07:27 PM
Then, all I can say is "Wow!"

Very life like motions.

newlands
09-20-2005, 10:02 PM
Definitely very cool.

david_B
09-21-2005, 12:58 AM
Sigh. Too good.

Is the cel chader style a chosen preference or a necessity for render times? It reminds me a little of the upcoming Scanner Darkly adaptation. And the story certainly sounds like something Phil Dick would have dredged up from his drug seasoned mind (no offence).

One thing - going from reading that his clothes have been stolen to actually seeing a guy riding a motorcycle in his underpants... the underpants thing doesn't work for me. But really, who gives a F what I think.

The work is fantastic. Can't wait for more.

flashover
09-21-2005, 02:24 AM
Very nice !!! I like the music! :tcicon:

FranK10
09-21-2005, 02:51 AM
Very beautiful! Both video & audio.

Could you explain more what you used to make the cartoon style and which tools you used to animate it?

Captain Obvious
09-21-2005, 03:06 AM
Really cool! :thumbsup:

meanlebh
09-21-2005, 07:48 PM
really well done, the idea and the rendering kinda reminds me of the movie "a waking life" if you have seen it (i think that is the name at least, it has been a while). anyways, I really like the idea, and the rendering style looks great, great animation as well.

blackglove
09-21-2005, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the nice comments.

I just use Lightwave 7.5c (which rocks), After Effects 5 (which rocks) and Premiere 6 (which blows).

I have spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to hand-pick the right visual aesthetic for my own work over the years, and have ultimately arrived at the conclusion that there aren't that many styles that really work for longer-format animation. I think that artists collectively converged on the cel-shaded look for some pretty good reasons.

I would love to employ a more original visual aesthetic in my work, but the cost in time just isn't worth it for longer projects, IMO.