PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Hard Drive Noises

AdamAvenali
09-20-2005, 11:21 AM
alright i will ask here because well newteks forums have helped me out in everything else :thumbsup: but my hard drive in my toshiba laptop every once and a while will start to make an ungodly noise.. it's kind of like a light grinding or something just isnt spinning right in there anymore.. it does not do it all the time, but has been doing it more lately than every before.. is it time to replace it? if so how to i get my operating system onto it?

any help is appreciated!

adam

Chrysolithos
09-21-2005, 08:18 AM
Sounds like your hard drive may be toast. (And not the good :newtek: kind, more like the real black- no amount of scraping will remove it- kind) Or it might be dust bunnies in your fan. Does it HAVE a fan?

Captain Obvious
09-21-2005, 08:23 AM
Time to do daily backups! ;)

kml12
09-21-2005, 08:27 AM
If it's not the fan making the noise backup ASAP and buy a new drive...

Before your drive CRASHES & BURNS :devil:

ACLOBO
09-21-2005, 01:05 PM
Sounds like sound advice! I once had my drive start to make these clicking noises and then it progressed to a "Kah-chunk, Ka-chumk." Then later during a lan game of Unreal Tournament, the machine died..

Back up your important files as soon as you can and get a new drive.

-Adrian

AdamAvenali
09-21-2005, 02:23 PM
yeah thats what i was afraid of.. so how about the operating system? how will i transfer that?

ACLOBO
09-21-2005, 03:13 PM
why need to transfer operating sysytem? Why not just reinstall and then do your restore from your backup file?

-Adrian

habaņero
09-21-2005, 06:30 PM
You could try trueimage 8. I've had good experiences with it, it is a generally good advice with disk imaging programs though to split files in 100 mb pieces, and in particular if you are using a usb disk.

I read about certain disks giving off sounds like that, though I can't remember if it was a bad sign or just an annoyance. You should check the producer for a firmware update or error reports.