PDA

View Full Version : dual Proc PC as a render node

bearfoot
09-20-2005, 07:12 AM
Hey everyone

i have my new screamernet setup working like a dream ...

my render node is a dual Xeon PC but whenever i run a screamernet render
it only uses 1 of the processors..

so i tried to run 2 nodes on the same machine one for each processor
which works but only when i render one or more frames..one frame still only uses one processor

how can i make 2 processors on 1 node render 1 frame..

thanks a lot
n

LWnexgen
09-20-2005, 12:07 PM
From what I understand using ScreamerNet will not allow you to artificially multithread scene renders (multiprocessor on 1 frame).

JML
09-20-2005, 12:33 PM
launch 1 screamernet node, and make sure that the lightwave config file LW8.CFG it's reading from, is set to 2 or more threads. ('RenderThreads 4')then it will use your 2 cpus.. (check using the task manager)

trick
09-20-2005, 03:27 PM
As JML said:

but it is far more efficient to use a rendermanager that can split up a frame (like TequilaScream) in multiple pieces, since there are several parts of the render process that are NOT multitasking. You can then put these tasks on 2 seperate processors...if you have sufficient RAM of course ;)

djlithium
10-07-2005, 02:00 PM
Where exactly does the "RenderThreads 4" setting appear in the LW8.cfg file?
I can't seem to get any change in performance (as if its being commented out but I am just adding the line as you specifed it above but without the quotes).

JML
10-07-2005, 02:22 PM
with the powerful program called notepad , search "RenderThreads" in lw8.cfg and you will find it ;)

(this setting is changed every time you close layout.
so when you close layout, it put in the cfg file how many thread was used in the last scene..)