PDA

View Full Version : Live Switching Glitching

tcbm
05-02-2003, 11:40 AM
Hi.

We`ve just moved our Toaster into a live studio enviroment, we have 3 Componant broadcast cameras plugged into our sx8 via YUV. The problem where having is that switching between the cameras causes a glitch (looks like a sync glitch) every 3 to 4 takes. It doesnt do it when performing a transition, just when doing a live take.

We know the camera control units are sinked as it used to be run through a grass valler mixer, and i wouldnt have though it mattered as the toaster does its own sync anyhow (i believe).

Any ideas gratefully recieved.

JReble
05-02-2003, 12:34 PM
Because the Toaster is a dual channel, multi-input video syncronizer, it can only transition or cut between the preview and program busses. If you try to simply switch inputs on the program bus, you will get a small glitch because you are routing a new input into the program video frame syncronizer. However, it you select a new signal in preview and then perform a cut from program to preview, it works fine because the preview frame syncronizer has already locked to the signal. This is just the way it has to be done in this design.

F.Y.I. -I'm fairly sure that if your T2 is genlocked with the optional genlock card to the same system sync signal you're using for your CCU's, then you ought to be able to direct switch like you're trying to do.

kleima
05-02-2003, 01:32 PM
If you have a an early Toaster card, it may need to be sent in to be updated to fix this problem. I had the same problem, and an early card. I talked to tech & sent it in, they updated the card and returned it promptly and this solved the problem.

pgrimpo
05-02-2003, 02:16 PM
What is considered an "early" card. I have this problem and have only had the system for like 8months. Any ID on the card I can look for?

-Grimpo

tcbm
05-02-2003, 04:39 PM
Cheers Jreble for the quick responce, much appreciated. i did suspected something like that, i think i was in a state of denial

Thing is we have preview monitors for all the cameras and if your doing fast cuts, its just not practical to preview first , so looks like its saving up time for a Genlock daughter card.

Intresting about the "early version" kleima, you sure it was the same type of problem, i live in the UK, so by the time we even got a chance to buy them i couldn`t have had an early version.

Also, is anyone out there got a genlock card and using it, there not the easiest product to find.

Paul Lara
05-02-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by tcbm
...anyone out there got a genlock card and using it, there not the easiest product to find.

I believe we got a shipment of genlock cards this week!

Tod Cole
05-02-2003, 08:16 PM
I get a glitch that shows up bigtime in the preview and seems to bleed over to program from time to time. I have a early card. Any thing written about this anywhere?:o

kleima
05-02-2003, 08:36 PM
An early card would probably be something that came with T[1]. (Unless a dealer had it in stock so long that it got bundled with a T[2].) I think they may have an "A" on the end of the S/N -- but maybe that's just the early BOB's that used the "A" for the "early" designation, I don't remember.

kleima
05-02-2003, 08:38 PM
Jreble & TCBM: Since the update to my card, I CAN switch between sources on the PROGRAM bus without first putting the source on PREVIEW, AND without the glitches.

tcbm
05-02-2003, 09:08 PM
Cheers kleima, ill have a word with tech as soon as i work out the time difference.

Do any Newtek guys read this forum, and if so would they like to comment on this issue because having a fault versions of the mainboard for that prevents switching on the program bus is a quite frankly a bit of a show stopper , in a negative sense in a live switching enviroment. Or do they want to keep quiet about it to stop a high level of returns .

Paul Lara
05-02-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by tcbm
ill have a word with tech as soon as i work out the time difference.[/i]

San Antonio Texas is +6 GMT.

Do any Newtek guys read this forum, and if so would they like to comment on this issue

We test our boards, but there can be problems that crop up.
We are video people, so we understand both the importance of signal integrity, as well as doing right by our customers. Contact tech support to get it looked at.

kleima
05-03-2003, 10:43 PM
tcbm,

Paul Lara is from NewTek, by the way.

tcbm
05-04-2003, 10:07 AM
I kinda gathered with the big newtek icon :)

Cheers guys

kleima
05-04-2003, 11:58 PM
The only reason I thought you might not know that, was that you asked if any NewTek people read the board after a post from Paul. ;) Wasn't trying to state the obvious. :)

tcbm
05-05-2003, 05:13 AM
No worries mate, im British, we have the sarcastic gene hard coded into our DNA sequence.

JReble
05-05-2003, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by kleima
Jreble & TCBM: Since the update to my card, I CAN switch between sources on the PROGRAM bus without first putting the source on PREVIEW, AND without the glitches.

Kleima, for reference sake:
You are able to switch direct on the program bus, but that would be with syncronous sources and a genlock card in your Toaster correct?