PDA

View Full Version : after effects

williamb
09-20-2005, 04:00 AM
Hi

Some advice pleaseÖ
ÖI have VT3, LW and Arua. I find Arua difficult to use, mind you I donít have any instructions.
Does VT3 work with Abobe after effects well? Is AF easier to use? (I know photoshop well)
Am I right to assume that when it comes to 2d titles etc AF can do more?

Iíd really appreciate some advice here, thanks
William

SBowie
09-20-2005, 06:32 AM
If you're already familiar with Photoshop, you may prefer that to learning Aura. Of course you'll have to do the animation bit either in the VT or in AE in this case.

The real reason for this post is simply to point out that the docs (manual) for Aura should have been included with your system - if you lack a printed manual, however, the PDF is still included in the installation.

MBeck
09-20-2005, 07:03 AM
I have never used aura much. I know that After Effects is really great! I love it. After Effects is not really much like Photoshop though. If I had to reccomend one without any experience with aura I would say go with AE.. they have tons of plugins.

SBowie
09-20-2005, 07:22 AM
AE takes the lead when it comes to compositing, of course, but has little or nothing to offer in the way of paint functionality -- so that could be a limiting factor. Neither would it be much good for photo-retouching and the like, if that's important. Aura (or Mirage) or Photoshop can handle these tasks; in the case of Aura, and all the more-so Mirage, animated FX are also possible.

(Personally, if I could only have one of these for use with VT as a 'CG Swiss army knife', it would be Mirage.)

williamb
09-22-2005, 04:13 AM
Thanks for your comments
Iíll do a little more research on that, havenít looked at mirage yet so Iíll check that out now.
Thanks again
William

SBowie
09-22-2005, 06:10 AM
If you have any specific Mirage related questions, feel free to e-mail me offlist. I'm reasonably well acquainted with it. :)

MBeck
09-22-2005, 08:23 AM
not to compete or rally over one product or another.. you can get with me for any after effects questions. :)

radams
09-22-2005, 11:26 AM
Hi All,

Just to also point out that Aura/Mirage and AE are also not exclusive...you can work with both...You will find that Mirage is one of the BEST production paint/animation apps in the market bar none..It does things in REALTIME that AE would have to render and take 10 times longer to accomplish...but when dealing with higher level comps, etc...AE has the upper hand...It depends on what your doing...also there are many more filters for AE than for Mirage...but you can bounce material between the two.

With Mirage you can just load up your material including those clips with alphas...then just hit play...you can NOT do that with AE cause you will need to render it. Also Mirage is GREAT for Roto work and matte touchups that AE can not do well.

I personally use this toolkit and workflow....Mirage, Digital Fusion (I like it better than AE), Lightwave, and VT for editing and i/o....I also use Photoshop, Audition, AE (for DVD menus), Ppro, Encore for DVD production.

The combo of Mirage, DF, LW and VT along with some of Bob Tasa's plugins gives you the power and control of a milliion dollar post suite on the desktop.

Cheers

SBowie
09-22-2005, 12:36 PM
Hi Ray - yeah, I'm not knocking AE. Mirage and AE are quite different animals. If I could only have one for use with VT, it would be Mirage, but it's very subjective and others would answer differently depending on the nature of their work. The combination is very nice, and like you I'm a big fusion fan.

MBeck
09-22-2005, 12:42 PM
Hi All,

Just to also point out that Aura/Mirage and AE are also not exclusive...you can work with both...You will find that Mirage is one of the BEST production paint/animation apps in the market bar none..It does things in REALTIME that AE would have to render and take 10 times longer to accomplish...but when dealing with higher level comps, etc...AE has the upper hand...It depends on what your doing...also there are many more filters for AE than for Mirage...but you can bounce material between the two.

With Mirage you can just load up your material including those clips with alphas...then just hit play...you can NOT do that with AE cause you will need to render it. Also Mirage is GREAT for Roto work and matte touchups that AE can not do well.

I personally use this toolkit and workflow....Mirage, Digital Fusion (I like it better than AE), Lightwave, and VT for editing and i/o....I also use Photoshop, Audition, AE (for DVD menus), Ppro, Encore for DVD production.

The combo of Mirage, DF, LW and VT along with some of Bob Tasa's plugins gives you the power and control of a milliion dollar post suite on the desktop.

Cheers

I think you are correct.. I have never used Aura/mirage.. but what you say about the limitations of AE are correct.

I was thinking one or the other. If Aura is goot with roto.. I am gonna have to look into that :)

radams
09-22-2005, 12:43 PM
I also forgot to mention that with Aura /Mirage there are third party solutions that work within VT for live and post...check out some of dhomas's young monkey plugins, Bob Tasa's, and there are several others.

With Mirage you also get the ability to create your own macros and workflows which just make things faster easier and more powerful.

What are you needing to do with an FX/paint package?

You may find that there is already a set of macros ready to just hit go with ;)

Cheers,

radams
09-22-2005, 12:52 PM
I think you are correct.. I have never used Aura/mirage.. but what you say about the limitations of AE are correct.

I was thinking one or the other. If Aura is goot with roto.. I am gonna have to look into that :)

Let me say this, that some of the new Oliver Twist movie that is coming out was roto'd in Mirage to pull mattes. When the inferno suite was too busy and deadlines are approaching...they had to use desktop solutions...Mirage was one of the solutions that was used to get it done on time an budget. I setup some custom macros for a friend who did the work.

Now this is Mirage I'm talking about NOT Aura...thou Aura is also powerful but it is a couple of generations behind Mirage now.

Mirage is seriously like having a flame/Inferno on your desktop for Production paint and animation. It does about 80% of what a half to million dollar suite can do... but if you add in DF, LW and VT you've gone 99% of the way there!

Cheers,

MBeck
09-22-2005, 03:53 PM
What does Mirage cost? can I upgrade?

SBowie
09-22-2005, 04:26 PM
This probably isn't the place to discuss either After Effects or Mirage in depth, but to answer your question - there is special pricing for Aura/AuraVT users listed on Bauhaus website (www.bauhaussoftware.com)