PDA

View Full Version : More than 1024 Vertices per Poly

A.Russell
09-20-2005, 12:35 AM
I've been trying to load a fancy calligraphy font. For the more elaborate letters I get this error about too make vertices for a single poly. Is there any setting I can change to increase this limit or otherwise get around the problem?

BeeVee
09-20-2005, 02:09 AM
Version 8.3 of LightWave allows up to 16,635 points per polygon...

B

A.Russell
09-20-2005, 03:06 AM
Thanks, I didn't know that.

I have V8, but I'm still using 7.5 because I'm used to it.

BeeVee
09-20-2005, 03:40 AM
At the risk of sounding rude, which I fully do not intend, give 8 a go... there are all sorts of extra things in it over 7.5 and you won't feel so lost when 9 comes out... Gambatte!

B

A.Russell
09-20-2005, 03:43 AM
I should do, but they changed some things around, and the new manual is an aweful html thing with a primitive search feature. The main reason for not using it is that I have to transfer all my plugins over. It's just been easier to stick with 7.5.

I'll use it for this, though. Perhaps it's time to take the plunge. Thanks for telling me about this feature!

BeeVee
09-20-2005, 03:56 AM
Well, the changed around things are going to be like that in 9 (plus you can always edit and customise your menus) and there's a PDF of the manual as well - and since Acrobat 6 the search facility has been really good (IMO). For Plug-ins, what I do is keep *all* my external plug-ins in one folder called "3rdParty", so that I can shift it easily with each new version of the software (I have ten versions installed on my machine for support). Then hitting Alt F11 to Scan Directory, makes life pretty simple. Don't forget that you might need to get an upgrade to bring you up to 8.3, but you don't need to get each one and install them one after the other, just the 8.3 upgrade.

B

A.Russell
09-20-2005, 05:14 AM
Thank you for the suggestions. I haven't kept my plugins all in one folder, I'll do that from now on.

I'm really glad you are in Tech Support. I just downloaded and installed the 8.3 upgrade -It upgraded me to 8.3 and downgraded me to Discovery Edition. I re-entered my permanent license key; no change. I then logged into my Newtek account and discovered that a different key number was listed to the one that worked in version 8 (I kept a copy of the entire Lightwave folder on another drive so I could check). I entered the new number and it is still Discovery Edition!

What should I do?

BeeVee
09-20-2005, 06:37 AM
You need to make sure you have the latest Sentinel drivers for 8.3 to work. Install the ones from here and reboot your machine.

http://www.safenet-inc.com/support/tech/sentinel.asp

Bear in mind also that you have different license.key numbers for different versions of LightWave - namely, 6.x, 7.x, 8.x and so on. Inside the same version, you keep the same number.

B

A.Russell
09-20-2005, 07:09 AM
Thank you, great support. It was the Sentinel drivers.

The font loads, too!

BeeVee
09-20-2005, 07:35 AM
Dozo... ;)

B

newsvixen8
09-20-2005, 07:00 PM
Where do you find those intricate fonts? (or did you build it yourself?)

A.Russell
09-20-2005, 09:17 PM
I download them off the net. There are a lot of free ones aound, and failing that there are a lot of reasonably priced ones too. 1001freefonts.com is a good place to start since it has a great font search feature. The fonts for my current project are for a fantasy game, and I found them by simply googly for "calligraphy fonts": http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/bradbury/276/callig.html

There are some really nice free calligraphy fonts on this page.

newsvixen8
09-21-2005, 03:30 AM
Very cool! And I'm glad you brought up the issue of the plug-ins folder; I need to prepare mine for Ver9. (Am I the only one who didn't know about alt- F11?)

BeeVee
09-21-2005, 04:07 AM
Absolutely, everyone got the briefing when they bought LW, but we thought we shouldn't include you... ;)

just kidding, in fact a good way to repair configs (if you haven't extensively customised them) is to run the following procedure each time you get a new update or upgrade:

1 Load the Layout portion of LightWave;
2 Hit Alt F11 (or go into the Utilities Tab and click on the Edit Plug-Ins button) and then the Scan Directory button and point it to your LightWave plugins folder. It will scan the plug-ins and give you a message like "xxx Plug-Ins found in xxx files.";
3 Hit Alt F10 (or go to the Edit menu and choose Edit Menu Layout) and change the Presets menu to LightWave 7.5. Return to it and change it back to Default;
4 Hit Alt F9 (or go to the Edit menu and choose Edit Keyboard Shortcuts) and change the Presets menu to LightWave 7.5. Return to it and change it back to Default;
5 Now quit LightWave and start Modeler from your new icon;
6 Repeat steps 3 and 4 but be aware that the Preset Menu will only offer LightWave 7.0;
7 Quit Modeler and quit Hub too.

B

newsvixen8
09-22-2005, 04:22 AM
Dang! That's what I get for skipping the meetings...thanks for the word on the plug-ins, etc. Maybe that should be another slip of paper in the box, along with the one about how to install the license key. :D