PDA

View Full Version : Pushing Video. Is it doable?

Genesis
09-19-2005, 06:49 PM
Is there a way to configure Tricaster to push video to a media server? (Please don't tell me to use Windows media encoder alone, I need to switch cameras)

If you are wondering why I 'd need to do this?
It is because I need to webcast from a convention centre, where they will not give me a public IP address or reconfigure their routers just because I am coming in.

However, if I could push the video, I would skip that process and make it happen.

Newtek support please advise.

Paul Lara
09-20-2005, 09:15 AM
There is no internal way to push from TriCaster, but we are seeing what can be done in the future.

Genesis
09-23-2005, 05:26 PM
DO you guys have an idea when the upgrade will be done for?

Please advise.

Thanks

Paul Lara
09-26-2005, 07:20 AM
No idea, sorry.
You'll note my post doesn't say we've found a method...it says we're investigating, so it's still not certain if it will be available.
There is a TriCaster patch going up this week, but it will not change this function.

dolmedia
10-26-2005, 04:18 AM
Hello,
We are the first proud italian buyer of Tricaster! :D We're very statisfied with this product :thumbsup: , but still we have to understand how to design the flow of our live streaming

We have a video server provider; before the Tricaster, we normally acted this way (with a normal PC):

- we connect via ISDN
- the provider gives us a public IP (that WME will listen)
- the video server starts the transmission using a predefined publishing point with the first client request ("pull from encoder").

The chain is: our pc with WME -> video server -> internet

Now, we installed the modem on the Tricaster, we launch the ISDN modem connection on the Tricaster, which will listen and correctly understand the public IP, but since it acts as media server, the only possible chain seems to be:

Tricaster -> internet

where we necessarily act as a media server using an ISDN connection!

The question now is: would it be possibile to define a chain where the Tricaster transmits via mms://my.public.ip to video server, and it will the broadcast to the internet? Something like:

Tricaster (mms://my.public.ip) -> videoserver (mms://its.publishing.point) -> internet

:help:

thank you

- fabrizio ulisse
DOLmedia
www.dol.it

billmi
11-10-2005, 07:40 AM
Thinking outside the box....

Verizon's new wireless broadband service may do what you need. I believe it runs about $50 a month, and it is available in most major US cities.

On occasion I streamed with their older 128 KBps system, and found it usually workable around 80 Kbps.

PIZAZZ
11-10-2005, 07:47 AM
The new EVDO offerings from Verizon and Sprint unfortunately only have 60-75 kbps on the upload. They have decent download speeds of 300-500 kbps but limit the upload.

I am patiently waiting for the day when we have wireless technology fast and cheap enough to stream from anywhere. Maybe the next generation of EVDO will do it for us.

While you can still use the EVDO services for streaming the quality will not be that great.

altusmedi
11-10-2005, 04:16 PM
My ISP tells me that in order for my Tricaster to be seen by a server for mass distribution it needs to push. If the Tricaster does not push, then how can a server "see" the media stream from the Tricaster? The main reason I bought the Tricaster was so I could distribute live presentations for my clients. Did I make a mistake buying a Tricaster or is there something I need to tell my ISP to make this work?
Thanks!

Paul Lara
11-11-2005, 09:04 AM
This is not quite correct, Altus.

A Push or a Pull only serve to get the stream to your Streaming provider in differrent ways. With TriCaster, he will need to initiate the connection, but from that moment on, it's performance and behavior are identical.

altusmedi
11-11-2005, 09:37 AM
Paul,
Thanks for the clairfication. I need to tell my guy to configure the server to pull from the address generated by the Tricaster then, correct? I also understand that I need to make sure there are no firewalls in place between me and the server. Is this correct?

Sorry for all the questions but the spiral bound booklet that came with my Tricaster is sorely lacking in details.

[email protected]

billmi
11-16-2005, 04:30 PM
Yes, the server needs to be told where your Tricaster is. There can be a firewall, but it must be configured to allow the traffic between the two machines.

LeeDavis
11-29-2005, 11:28 PM
When push comes to shove (bad..I know..) I'd prefer to push the stream since that would keep me in control.

Any progress on making the Tricaster "push" capable?

Genesis
12-29-2005, 08:35 AM
Paul, I believe is a few of us in need of this feature. Sadly, when we bought the units, we weren't told about some of its limitations.

A reply to our concern is the least that Newtek can do for us.

Once again, when webcasting from a Convention Centre or Hotel Conference room, they can provide us with a dedicated IP address, but we are behind a firewall and router, therefore they would have to reconfigured their firewalls and open ports (80/80). This if very unlikely to happen for security reasons. Most webcast companies offer the option of pushing video, by which they avoid this issue. Right now, I can not even offer the services of webcasting as my competitors without running into this problem.

I look forward to hear from you.

Thanks.

When push comes to shove (bad..I know..) I'd prefer to push the stream since that would keep me in control.

Any progress on making the Tricaster "push" capable?

Paul Lara
12-29-2005, 08:53 AM
A reply to our concern is the least that Newtek can do for us.

VT[4] is capable of pushing a stream, as it is seen as a Video for Windows device. TriCaster does not have that capability. NewTek is making progress on a means for TriCaster to push out, and we will let you know when this new feature is available.

Here's to a prosperous 2006! :thumbsup:

PIZAZZ
12-30-2005, 07:47 AM
Paul

Keep the guys working on this.

As Genesis mentioned, it is very tough to get a pull setup when you are working onsite in Hotels and Convention Centers. Push works nearly always. IF only the Tricaster output would show up in Video for Windows then we could use the Windows Encoder... :)

aknuts
01-13-2006, 08:37 AM
The only way I am able to push video is run the video out of my tricaster into My panasonic AG-2500, then run the firewire out of my 2500 into a machine running windows media encoder. windows media encoder wizard gives me the option to push or pull.

The added benefit of using my 2500 is that i can have a backup copy of the program on DV.

I suppose you could use a standard tv tuner or capture card as long as WME can see it.

windows media encoder is free BTW
WINDOWS MEDIA ENCODER (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default.aspx)