heynewt
09-19-2005, 03:40 PM
System Setup
HP Pavilion Laptop Intel 3.0 PIV
1.0 Gigs RAM
Windows XP-Service Pack2
LW 8.3 (build 8.01)

Hi,

I've had 8.3 running fine for months on my computer with no problems. Here's what happened. Windows XP did one of its automatic updates to the OS and after that happened, I can no longer run LW with the hub. When I start LW, the program simply hangs before it can get completely loaded. I have to force quit the program to get out of it. HOWEVER... I CAN run LW without the hub. If I launch Layout without the hub attached it runs just fine.

I've deleted all my configs. I've re-installed LW. Re-booted. Still nothing.

Anyone else having this problem? Any ideas?

Robert Newton

cresshead
09-19-2005, 03:53 PM
can you not take off your windows update or re update the windows update as this looks to be corrupted not lightwave......

also you have a go back feature in xp try that to take you back a few days before your update meesed up your system.

windows 'helping again' :thumbsdow

KillMe
09-19-2005, 04:02 PM
sounds to me that the windows firewall got updated and reset itself in teh process and is blocking the hubs communications - this used to ahppen to me when i used norton firewall and it always hung even when it was allowed but eventually went - without permission it was exactly what you have

heynewt
09-19-2005, 04:09 PM
Thanks so much for that reply. I've never used this "go back' feature. Where exactly do I find that. Sorry to be so windows naive.

can you not take off your windows update or re update the windows update as this looks to be corrupted not lightwave......

also you have a go back feature in xp try that to take you back a few days before your update meesed up your system.

windows 'helping again' :thumbsdow

Fausto
09-19-2005, 04:14 PM
Thanks so much for that reply. I've never used this "go back' feature. Where exactly do I find that. Sorry to be so windows naive.

I'd probably check out your firewall settings first. Usually you can select applications that you want or need to be unblocked. That's a much easier fix.

There's a few links on this forum related to this, try (hub +Firewall) in the search feature.

heynewt
09-19-2005, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the tip. I've done a search, and there were some good posts. still working on it. I completely disabled the windows firewall and LW still wouldn't start. Supposedly it's not actually hung up. If I wait long enough it's supposed to eventually load, but I waited a full minute. That's not really practical.

I'll keep looking for answers. Thanks. If I have to I'll erase the HD and re-load the whole OS and disable the windows updates.

I'd probably check out your firewall settings first. Usually you can select applications that you want or need to be unblocked. That's a much easier fix.

There's a few links on this forum related to this, try (hub +Firewall) in the search feature.

Fausto
09-19-2005, 05:14 PM
Did you try copying your cfg's to another folder outside your personal documents folder. This will force LW to recreate new config files.

heynewt
09-19-2005, 05:25 PM
Yes, tried that. Didn't help. It's so weird.

Thanks for the suggestion though. Keep 'em coming.

Robert

sammy2_nz
09-19-2005, 10:35 PM
Have you restarted the computer since disabling the firewall ? I seem to remember having to reboot to reopen the ports the firewall had closed

Regards

Sammy!!

heynewt
09-20-2005, 04:18 AM
Actually I had not. But I had also changed some other settings. And I just rebooted. And it worked!! Probably was the re-boot.

When i say it worked, it's not like it was before. It now takes about 10 seconds to connect to the hub and launch, used to take 1. That's weird. But at least it's working. Thanks for the suggestion.

Robert