PDA

View Full Version : particles for "ring outward explosion"

zyhsu
09-19-2005, 09:01 AM
Hi!
could somebody tell me how to make "ring outward (or donut type)explosion" by using particles?
please see attached jpeg if you do not know what I mean!
Thanks!

MonroePoteet
09-19-2005, 03:21 PM
I probably wouldn't use an emitter. I'd model a donut or disc, cut-n-paste the points, expand it as desired over time, and apply HV's to the points in the object.

Or not even use HV's and use regular surfacing for the donut. Many of these type of shockwaves I've seen (only in movies...do these circular shockwaves *really* happen in space?) look pretty solid. With some dynamic texturing and the Edge Transparency shader, could be pretty effective.

mTp

zyhsu
09-19-2005, 11:16 PM
Thanks a lot!
This suggestion is excellent!

ACLOBO
09-20-2005, 01:26 AM
No, these types of stylized explosions do not happen. The PHYSICS are totally off.. But they do look cool huh?

-Adrian

Verlon
09-20-2005, 02:07 AM
if anything, they would be spherical, not circular.

Perhaps you could make a case for an initial dust/debris wave.

I know....Let's build a rocket and a really large bomb and go blow something up in space. There's plenty of stuff up there we could experiment on. It sure sounds like fun.

I know *I* have always wanted my own personal death star. How about you guys?

WCameron
09-20-2005, 07:01 AM
it can be done with particles. Heres a simple (Very simple) example file i set up.

- Will.

MiniFireDragon
09-20-2005, 08:08 AM
Here is another answer to the ring explosion:

Here is what it looks like (3mb quicktime)

www.m4paintball.com/newtek/doughnut2.mov
www.m4paintball.com/newtek/doughnut2_moda.mov

edit: Just did some tweeks and a viper preview. Included both scene files. For those scratching your head and wondering why it doesn't work when you scrub through, here's a hint:

Open the dynamics panel on the wind (or particle) and push calculate