PDA

View Full Version : count down - 10

Wade
09-18-2005, 09:27 PM
Ten working days left in the 3rd Q so here is hoping we see the launch of 8.5. :) :hey:

BUT really it is the wait for 9 by end of year :santa: , AND waiting for a Wacom Cintiq 21ux from Safe Harbor to ship :phone_cal that has me freaking out and sleepless. Ok so shoot me shoot me shoot me - Just put me out of this misery! :D :help:

RENDER SPEED x 7 in 9 could it really happen the stuff dreams are made of. :jam:

pilF
09-19-2005, 02:19 AM
Don't shoot, just got my cintiq and now life is great again, yes it's bliss didn't even think about 8.5 for 48 hours.

CB_3D
09-19-2005, 03:14 AM
T

RENDER SPEED x 7 in 9 could it really happen the stuff dreams are made of. :jam:

Where did you read that??

They said/wrote 3-4x with some shaders.

KillMe
09-19-2005, 06:36 AM
AND waiting for a Wacom Cintiq 21ux from Safe Harbor to ship

ohhhhhhhh **** been wanting one of those for ages but couldn't justify the price even for the smallest one let alone the 21 inch

lardbros
09-19-2005, 06:49 AM
Where did you read that??

They said/wrote 3-4x with some shaders.

I heard them say 3-4 times at the moment, but they will be working on 5-7 times for the actual release of 9! Who knows what's true or not, i'm just going by the Siggraph videos.

riki
09-19-2005, 07:20 AM
mmmm I wouldn't get too hopefull.

mav3rick
09-19-2005, 07:44 AM
hopefully they beat 10 out of it

Wade
09-19-2005, 10:51 AM
I heard them say 3-4 times at the moment, but they will be working on 5-7 times for the actual release of 9! Who knows what's true or not, i'm just going by the Siggraph videos.

That is what I heard as well form the Siggraph videos and for me well, I would pay the upgrade price if true just for the render speed increase. Then I would pay it again for all the other goodness they are going to dump into the mix. As well someone said they are getting ride of all those "niggly" little things which I think is a good thing? I have found myself muttering the word niggly over and over niggly niggly niggly. :bangwall: :devil: - so no more niggly things in LW come the release of 9. :lwicon: :thumbsup:

Meaty
09-19-2005, 11:09 AM
That is what I heard as well form the Siggraph videos and for me well, I would pay the upgrade price if true just for the render speed increase. Then I would pay it again for all the other goodness they are going to dump into the mix. As well someone said they are getting ride of all those "niggly" little things which I think is a good thing? I have found myself muttering the word niggly over and over niggly niggly niggly. :bangwall: :devil: - so no more niggly things in LW come the release of 9. :lwicon: :thumbsup:
Wade - I'll remind you that you are referring to the same show where Andy Bishop said 8.5 would be available right after Siggraph :eek:

lardbros
09-19-2005, 11:17 AM
Wade - I'll remind you that you are referring to the same show where Andy Bishop said 8.5 would be available right after Siggraph :eek:

HAHAHAHAHA, thanks, VERY good point... you reminded me too! :D Anyone ever say you may have a slightly pessimistic viewpoint? Atleast you'll never be disappointed eh! :D

Wade
09-19-2005, 02:16 PM
Oh niggly! :foreheads

Wade
09-19-2005, 02:31 PM
And well in 9 days I won't even be here anymore - Niggly niggly niggly - as I am just barley to the east of where the eye of Rita is to pass, AND that is a bad bad bad thing. East side of cat 3,4,5 Hurrican = very bad niggly. :thumbsdow

Good thing for you all as :newtek: is some 250 miles west and much further inland so unless it moves west again you may get 8.5 end of month. :hat:

Wickster
09-20-2005, 07:13 PM
Judging from that Image you posted Wade, I would think office and shops will be closed for business meaning delay...i don't mind waiting for it, just hope everyone will be okay better yet, the storm dies down before it reaches land.

mav3rick
09-21-2005, 09:52 AM
ahem .... newtek.... :) does it always has to be last minute:) i mean.... i was jokin 2 monts ago about deadline and i predicted it will be released last day in qt3.... do i get TSHIRT for prediction?:)

Lottmedia
09-21-2005, 11:09 AM
At lease they're consistant.... :)

lw3d23
09-21-2005, 01:15 PM

Right, It seems NT cannot release LW9 in Oct/Nov until last day of Q4 :stumped:

Chuck
09-21-2005, 02:10 PM
ahem .... newtek.... :) does it always has to be last minute:) i mean.... i was jokin 2 monts ago about deadline and i predicted it will be released last day in qt3.... do i get TSHIRT for prediction?:)

Apologies, I know it's frustrating! :)

Please bear in mind, it's always an estimate, and that means you need to allow for variances, pretty much guaranteed.

mav3rick
09-21-2005, 02:27 PM
to :santa: chuck
as far i get tshirt i can wait ;)

Riplakish
09-21-2005, 06:01 PM
And well in 9 days I won't even be here anymore - Niggly niggly niggly - as I am just barley to the east of where the eye of Rita is to pass, AND that is a bad bad bad thing. East side of cat 3,4,5 Hurrican = very bad niggly. :thumbsdow

Good thing for you all as :newtek: is some 250 miles west and much further inland so unless it moves west again you may get 8.5 end of month. :hat:

See on the news that they're already starting to evacuate, and this time, they're
taking pets (I'd need my own bus). Hopefully, you'll be out of harms way, and back with us once the power is back up.

Wade
09-21-2005, 06:05 PM
Newtek is using a new and more powerful delivery method now – Hurricane force winds?? They are now have it up and running in the as a Category 5! Just what you get for tweaking the forces of nature to try and improve a 3D package. The winds are now up to 160 MPH not sure but close to a speed record sustained that is. Sustained – forget about render speed this delivery is going to do some damage!!!

Ok really here is the deal I can wait a few weeks as I think the power will be out that long. Just spent a day putting up 4 point plywood sheets to try and keep my sisters beach house form imploding when the winds hit. It’s a nice house and we hope it makes it through the storm.
Most of us are far enough from the coast that we are going to sit it out, and see what happens. I am 70 miles inland and 75 feet above sea level so should by ok, but some predictions have the winds still reach upwards of 100 miles an hour when they get this far inland. – can that be?? If it looks like that is what’s coming I am out of here. Other wise I have caned food and water for a month, or a week depending on how many friends decide to stop by.

Riplakish
09-21-2005, 06:08 PM
Apologies, I know it's frustrating! :)

Please bear in mind, it's always an estimate, and that means you need to allow for variances, pretty much guaranteed.

Are they called variances now? :hey:

Working for a software team myself, we internally call them F-ups, bugs, or "We forgot to what?"s. To customers, we tell them that we've "had some issues, and want to make the product as robust as possible" (sound familiar? :foreheads )

I think software managers need to learn to properly "Scotty-ize" their numbers... Take the best guess, multiply by two, and convert to the next highest units.

When people say thats two long, take their estimate, and multiply by 2.5 :)

In any event, I personally feel its better to wait and get a robust product that have code that just barely compiles ship. For anyone who disagrees with this, I can provide a number of examples, from "big names" like General Electric, to demonstrate what happens when you don't fully debug software that hits the field. (Well, I could use Microsoft, but that'd be just too darn easy) :help:

Riplakish
09-21-2005, 06:22 PM
I am 70 miles inland and 75 feet above sea level so should by ok, but some predictions have the winds still reach upwards of 100 miles an hour when they get this far inland. – can that be?? If it looks like that is what’s coming I am out of here.

I hate to say it - if that is your criteria, start packing and get out while the getting is good.

Seriously, if you look at your distance/height ratio, you're gaining 1 ft. every mile, which means there isn't much sticking up in the air to slow the windspeeds down, and you need the storm to seriously weaken to get under the 100MPH range.

There are some methods for better preparing houses for this type of weather (such as strapping the roofing down to the frame better - roofs tend to lift like an airplane wing at these windspeeds; and boarding up windows), but if they're predicting these winds, you can expect moderate damage to all but the strongest constructed houses.

We wish you all the best of luck. Play it safe.

colkai
09-22-2005, 02:45 AM
Are they called variances now? :hey:

Working for a software team myself, we internally call them F-ups, bugs, or "We forgot to what?"s. To customers, we tell them that we've "had some issues, and want to make the product as robust as possible" (sound familiar? :foreheads )
Hehe,
Sounds pretty gosh darn familiar to me. :p
Plus the olden goldies such as adding a feature which totally destroys another feature, which according to the logic, should be in no way whatsoever linked. Then you find some nasty little "back door", Ahh the joys of coding. ;)

25+ years in the game and each time you convince yourself *this time* it'll be on schedule and bug free, after all, it's been tested every which way from Xmas... then you give it to a user. :jester:

Riplakish
09-22-2005, 08:40 AM
Hehe,
Plus the olden goldies such as adding a feature which totally destroys another feature, which according to the logic, should be in no way whatsoever linked. Then you find some nasty little "back door", Ahh the joys of coding. ;)

25+ years in the game and each time you convince yourself *this time* it'll be on schedule and bug free, after all, it's been tested every which way from Xmas... then you give it to a user. :jester:

Oh, yeah, that happens, too, although around here it tends to be that "last great idea one of the developers had during a dream the night before" that makes things go FUBAR.

We also have developers who like to sell their ideas to their peers by implementing them _before_ the idea is discussed, similarly causing stabilty issues (and when you couple the two issues, all **** breaks lose a week before release).

Nah, I don't think software will ever change. Whats the old software adage? "Every program can be reduced by at least one line, and will always contain at least one bug", which, if you apply recursively, means you'll eventually bottom out with a one-line program that doesn't work :thumbsup:

Ah, well, I ordered my 9 upgrade, and Newtek shipped me something (I'm guessing Vue), so I guess I'll have something in about a week to keep me busy until 8.5/9.0 ships. :)

gjjackson
09-22-2005, 09:41 AM
Hehe,

...then you give it to a user. :jester:

I don't know HOW MANY times this has happened. You test, test and test and it all seems totally bug free. Give it to a user and in 5 minutes they come up with a bug. Your reply is.. You're not suppose to use it in that way.

colkai
09-22-2005, 12:19 PM
Give it to a user and in 5 minutes they come up with a bug. Your reply is.. You're not suppose to use it in that way.
LOL - how painfully true.
"You did what?..why???"
We have actually had users abort a whole data input "just to see what happens", then complain because they had to re-input it. Or power off midway through processing "because it looked like it had frozen". When you explain the error of their ways, you get.. "But I thought computers were clever" ahh... users.... without them, coding would be a lot less stressful! :twak: :p