PDA

View Full Version : Compatible with Flash for vector output?

beenahemkar
09-18-2005, 08:50 PM
Hey 3D gurus!

I have probably an amateur question as per you, am unable to decide between buying Lightwave or 3DS Max for vector output. I understand, this one's not a right place to find prpoganda for the later, however, wanted to find out if I can successfully use Lightwave, which i am anyways more inclined to for the better render quality) to import 'PTE Pro/Engineer' files, may be exported as .stl to get a vector render or .fla render so that I can import that into Flash for making websites.

Stupid may be, but can you please help me with this delima!!

Would appreciate your help or any comments

Beena

newsvixen8
09-19-2005, 04:36 AM
This is a question I'm facing now too; a client wants to be able to make Flash presentations from 3D renders. I hear there's a program called "Swift 3D" to convert Lightwave to Flash. Has anybody used it yet?

lardbros
09-19-2005, 06:40 AM
Hi beenahemkar and newsvixen8,

They used to have a demo version of swift3d on their website but i couldn't find it ... ahhhh, found it under downloads and free trials.

Give it a whirl... it's superb, only tried the demo though. I would like to get the LW version, but there is a stand alone app too that is used as a 3d modeller on it's own, and then rendered out.

The plugins are $295 or $149 for an upgrade. The stand alone app is $229.

(Newsvixen, sorry, haven't posted your mags yet... haven't got to the post office while i've been working, so will send them on my day off this week)

DoF
09-19-2005, 07:27 AM
I use LW and the Swift plug-in [not the standalone app]
LW takes care of everything, import/export, animation etc, and Swift only comes in at the final stage. The results are stunning and very fast, and with the newest version of the Swift plug-in [which I don't have yet] there are new options that integrate seamlessly with Flash.
In short, LW>Swift>Flash is an awesome combo for web work. Highly recommended.

lunarcamel
09-19-2005, 07:41 AM
Swift 3D for LW using Ravix 4 (plugin) - I have it DoF and it does exactly what it says. It's super fast and I've always had great results. In addition I reccomend Optimaze to optimize the output - also on the Erain site.

Great combo!!!

newsvixen8
09-20-2005, 04:25 AM
Thanks everyone, I guess I'll have to order, even though i just ponied up for the LW/Vue package. The Swift3d demo does look sweet; good to know it's delivering as promised for everybody.
(No rush on the mags, Lardbros, they're just for archive and reference so I can lend 'em out to pals!)

lunarcamel
09-20-2005, 05:57 AM
If anything I wish they would integrate it into LW like - cough maya :)