PDA

View Full Version : Need a Link For a Tutorial......

Aaron_Price
09-17-2005, 05:44 PM
Does anyone know a tutorial for LightWave 8 that shows you how to create travelling through stars, something used in the credits for Superman and Star Trek Next Generation.

I have had a look round the web but personally can't find one, does anyone know any??? Any help would be nice. :)

lardbros
09-18-2005, 03:20 AM
Sorry, not got a link for a tutorial but i watched Superman yesterday, and it looked like they had the stars painted on glass on lots of layers and then moved them towards the camera. You could go about it in Lightwave many different ways.

You could go a similar way to Superman and have lots of single point polygons (made using the spray points tool and then converting them to polygons using points to poly) move past the camera with some motion blur turned on. You'll need literally thousands of them, unless you can somehow loop the motion of it, which would work well and seem to go on forever.

OR

How about using a particle emitter (or quite a few of them) and emit particles towards the camera from way away. I did something similar for an animation i did of an arrow flying towards a target. I had speed streaks flying past the camera to make it look more speedy. My example can be seen HERE (http://www.lairdsquared.co.uk/videos/RollsRoyce.avi). Sorry it's around 10mb

MonroePoteet
09-18-2005, 11:59 AM
Definitely look into a Partigon emitter. Use Dynamic Obj=>Emitter to add the emitter, and be sure to set it's type to "Partigon".

Start with the following settings for a 300-frame sequence:

1) 4000 particles
2) 200 particle/second emission rate
3) 0.0 Resistance
4) Lifespan of 600
5) Start frame of -200 to get a bunch already visible at frame 0
6) Motion of -1 on Z, Explosion of 1.0

If you want the "wide" star zoom (i.e. an obvious horizontal axis), change the emitter's X dimension to be wider. If you want rotation on the stars, rotate the emitter or the camera about the Z axis over the sequence.

For the Camera:

1) Position the Camera at (0,0,-5).
2) Set PLD-1 Antialiasing. Don't go higher than this, or the stars get really dim.
3) Use Normal Motion Blur with a blur-length of 20%

For the Partigon surface (shortcut F5):

1) Set color to white. Optionally, add Turbulence procedurals of light red and light yellow to give some variation in the color
2) On the Luminosity channel, add a Gradient Texture with the input as Distance to Camera, a Range of 0m to 5m, with value of 200% at 0m and 0% at 5m. This makes the stars appear out of blackness as they approach the camera.

For a background:

1) Set a keyframe for the camera before loading the following.
2) Load the "TWINKLIN.LWO" from the LW Objects=>Space directory to get some static background stars, if desired.

Render away, adjust as needed.

mTp

Aaron_Price
09-18-2005, 12:43 PM
Thanks for both of your helps I managed to come up with this let me know what you think? Here is the link give it a few seconds to load. http://media.putfile.com/flying_through_stars

MonroePoteet
09-18-2005, 12:52 PM
My version of Firefox doesn't appear to have a plug-in for the content there, so I can't see it. Glad you got something to work for you.

mTp

lardbros
09-18-2005, 02:13 PM
It's looking good. Only thing i would say is that the particles look like they lose some velocity as they get closer to the camera. It could be that they are actually losing velocity or just look like they are. Try increasing the particle weight or velocity. I reckon more motion blur too, but that's just a personal preference, no one really knows what it looks like to whiz past stars like that, apart from Superman himself, oh and E.T. of course, so it's down to you and what you like best.