PDA

View Full Version : RGB files look bad

sonofmickel
09-17-2005, 03:21 PM
All I want is to get my files with alpha into After Effects or Premiere Pro without them looking bad. I can not for the life of me get it to work! I can export my After Effects compositions in Targas just fine (with no Lightwave content in there), these look good on NTSC monitor and computer monitor. ANY Lightwave generated content looks real bad in Premiere or After Effects on the NTSC monitor. I have played with pull downs, field orders etc... Any sure fire methods? I really want to get better with Lightwave but it seems the more I use it the harder it gets! Crazy software!
The first pic is with AE at "Stop" nice and sharp. The second pic is at"Play" very jaggy.
A.H.A.

I'll munch on the forums some more for possible answers.

LW 8.3 ver 801, Dual Xeon 2.66 XP Pro 2GB ram.

Red_Oddity
09-17-2005, 04:30 PM
posting a picture to illustrate the problem might help, but, how do you import your footage in AFX? I hope you interprete the alpha as Premultiplied (on black, if you render on a black background)

toby
09-17-2005, 06:21 PM
Definitely post pictures, it should be something simple like higher anti-aliasing or output format. Use the 'Manage Attachment' button under the field where you type your post.

sonofmickel
09-17-2005, 07:49 PM
Posting a screen grab or picture will not work. They will be good and sharp. It is only when the sequence is in motion that the artifacting occurs. I will see if I can get a snapshot of my NTSC. I know it has to be something simple. But seriously- I can export image sequences or interleaved files that are created in AE 6.5 (no lightwave image sequences there) and they work fine, they display fine. I am only having a problem importing and exporting LW files to/from Premiere/ AE 6.5. If you do a search, it is giving quite a few people some hard times with no ready solutions that are easy. A guide with outputs for general broadcast and DVD use would be really helpful.

sonofmickel
09-17-2005, 08:00 PM
Well, I just read Dan Ablans rendering tutorial. I should have seen this earlier. Using the lower fields first in the camera properties did the trick. But, it looks horrible on my computer screen now! One or the other? Do most of you render out an interlaced and a full frame version for different purposes? With AE I "ALWAYS" render my animations full with no upper or lower field dominance. I just let the software render it to what ever format is final output. Let quicktime or Avi take care of those details. I wonder how this lower field dominant file format (PSD is a full frame, is it not?) will effect a DVD? I know, why not try it out!
A.H.A.

This still troubles me. Maybe just a workflow change:)

ackees
09-18-2005, 06:05 AM
One thing you could try is to set your RGB values for the colors on your objects before you get to LW. So lets say you will be modeling a red and green car, get the red and green that works outside LW and then recreate those values in LW, this is also useful for print, select legal colors for your models and textures before entering the LW environment. I think there is also a legal NTSC and PAL color plugin somewhere that is standard with LW.

toby
09-18-2005, 12:47 PM
I don't think you need to render to fields at all. Where I work now does major commercials for big clients like Nike, and they've never rendered to fields in Lightwave, they interlace it afterwards.

sonofmickel
09-18-2005, 10:00 PM
Toby, thanks for your help in this matter. I have posted new pics above. This is an AE 6.5 Pro timeline from a Lightwave 8.3 ver 801 image sequence rendered as PSD 24bit.
Please explain your workflow ie...make animation in LW, export as"....", import into AE or other program as...(image sequence I presume(Tga,PSD,TIFF)), then export from AE or other program as...

A.H.A.

This has got to be stupid simple. I have never had this problem before. I would rather not have to render with a field order if I do not have to.
I watch NTSC previews through (PremierePro AE 6.5 Pro) an ADS A/V Link to a JVC broadcast monitor.

T-Light
09-18-2005, 10:36 PM
Looking at this from a 5:29am perspective and basing it on the fact that I've yet to get some sleep, here goes, don't shoot me if I'm wrong. :D

Edit - Deleted, checked it and completely wrong, time for bed!!! :sleeping:

toby
09-18-2005, 11:11 PM
It really looks like a field problem, are you perhaps interlacing it twice? Meaning, render to interlaced out of LW and then again out of AE? It would make sense not to render to fields in LW unless you're going straight to video. Have you already tried rendering non-interlaced out of LW?

As far as my workflow, I only do the 3D at work, but I know that nothing is interlaced until all the compositing is done. I never interlace at home, I output from LW with fields off, to tiff, or png if I need to save space, then output from AE to a quicktime for burning to DVD.

[edit]
Cheers for getting those images. I should have realized what I was saying when I said to post pictures :foreheads

sonofmickel
09-19-2005, 12:22 AM
Yeah-it took about 14 shots to get a good "look" it the problem. The footage is rendered out to frames only. The timeline in AE is 30 fps, which matches my LW output. I'll try a render to DVD in interlaced and progressive and see if this has all been for nothing.