PDA

View Full Version : How do I get demo version?

gutted
09-17-2005, 03:02 PM
How do i know if i want to purchase this software if i can't even try it out? From what i've read there's some sort of Discovery Edition or something, but i can't even find a link for it anywhere.

what gives?

Matt
09-17-2005, 04:18 PM
You can download any of the 7.5 updates, install and run those, they will run in Discovery mode without a dongle.

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/downloads/lightwave75.php

Unfortunately you have to register (and already own) LightWave to download 8.x updates.

I really think NewTek should address the whole 'download a demo' issue, every other piece of software has a demo download, LightWave doesn't, I've never understood this.

gjjackson
09-17-2005, 06:31 PM
You can get a demo here for $3, fully functional but watermarked.

http://www.sharbor.com/products/NTKN0300061.html

gutted
09-17-2005, 08:26 PM
^ sorry but im not paying for a demo of a 'previous' version. thats just absurd.

think i'll look elsewhere for a modeler.

Matt
09-17-2005, 08:32 PM
You don't have to buy anything, download the update for free! Not the latest version I know but it works about 95% the same as LW8.

lardbros
09-18-2005, 02:21 AM
Newtek used to have a demo version... i have a few 3DWorld CD from a while back that have v7 demos and a 7.5 demo.

God knows why they don't follow up with ones for 8? People will obviously want to try software out before spending money on it... :screwy:

gjjackson
09-19-2005, 12:36 PM
I've started to wonder if Newtek didn't restrict the v8 download so as no to let anyone download and thereby letting hackers have access and develop cracks for it. If this is true I wouldn't blame Newtek for that. Versions 7 already have been cracked so there's no point in restricting it. No point in lettting those have access to the new versions. Just my thought.

mattclary
09-19-2005, 12:45 PM
I think if you call Newtek they can hook you up with a demo of 8.x

lardbros
09-19-2005, 01:28 PM
Yeah, i heard they are shipping demo discs instead of it being downloadable... maybe they are waiting for 8.5 release and then they may upload the latest demo.

What happened to the new Inspire type package?? I hope they have a demo of that too, i wanna play with it even though it's a cut down LW.

amatuer42
09-20-2005, 04:49 PM
I tried what Matt suggested with downloading the update, and it gave me an error because it couldn't find an installation of LW

gjjackson
09-21-2005, 01:08 PM
Which file did you download. Some require a previous version.

mattclary
09-21-2005, 01:28 PM
7.5d works great, just re-verified it. As stated above, 8.x downloads will NOT work in demo mode.

gjjackson
09-21-2005, 06:03 PM
Once again, I would suggest the demo from Sharbor.com. It's only $3. This is apparently "fully functional", whereas the demo is limited to 400 points and other limitations. This demo is only watermarked. It would allow you to do all that you want. The limits of the discovery mode would leave you without the full knowledge of what LW can do.

BeeVee
09-22-2005, 01:52 AM
I really doubt that the Safe Harbor demo is anything other than the Discovery Edition actually.

B

lardbros
09-22-2005, 03:34 AM
And to be honest who really wants to pay $3 for a demo? That's shocking in my opinion... and i reckon Newtek won't be long with their own demo. It makes sense to have one, every other company do, and even plugins for lightwave do, so come on Newtek!

BeeVee
09-22-2005, 03:43 AM
I'm sure it's just to cover p&p...

B

lardbros
09-22-2005, 06:20 AM
I'm sure it's just to cover p&p...

B

Ha, i know, just still think that people shouldn't have to pay anything to try out software. (unless it's a magazine cover mounted disc)

BeeVee
09-22-2005, 06:26 AM
Ah well, you always pay... even if it's downloadable you've paid for your internet connection and if you are at University so Internet access is "free", there's still your education to be paid for... ;)

B

lardbros
09-22-2005, 06:34 AM
Ah well, you always pay... even if it's downloadable you've paid for your internet connection and if you are at University so Internet access is "free", there's still your education to be paid for... ;)

B

So that means all the "free" updates for Lightwave, aren't free at all!!! DOH!!

So Beevee is there going to be a downloadable demo version available in the near future?

gjjackson
09-22-2005, 09:31 AM
I really doubt that the Safe Harbor demo is anything other than the Discovery Edition actually.

B

The ad is definitely misleading then. When they say 'fully functional' that would tell me that it doesn't have the discovery limitations. Since it is suppose to be watermarked, that told me it would be similar to other apps that are watermarked in order to allow full use but unusable for production. I assumed Newtek came out with a watemarked version in the past but you're one who should know. That was the Main reason I suggested it instead of downloading a demo. $3 for a fully functional version isn't bad, considering it's on a CD that has to be shipped. Shipping isn't free and 3 bucks is certainly fair.

Matt Drabick
09-22-2005, 11:05 AM
I have a few LightWave 8 demo discs available. . . I will send them out free via UPS ground shipping to anyone in the continental US. If interested, you can send me a private message via this site or call me at the number below.

Matt Drabick,
DigiTek Systems
Raleigh, NC
919-790-5488

elfworks
09-23-2005, 03:09 PM
This afternoon an animator asked me about using LightWave on the Mac.

He's using 3D Studio, but is planning on moving to the Mac platform, so he was asking about 3D packages that would run on the Mac.

I was going to just send him a link to the demo on Newtek's site - only to find out there's no demo available?!?!? (No, the 7.5 Discovery edition doesn't count.)

I went to the Maya site, and found their demo in 2-3 mouse clicks.

I wish I could have done the same for Newtek & LightWave.

I've been using LightWave since 3.0.
I love the package guys, but it ain't gonna sell itself.