PDA

View Full Version : Record live without CG

chribba
09-17-2005, 03:23 AM
I have not tested the VT4 in a live switch before and now i am going to. One thing i have not seen here is if VT4 can live swich and output a video with CG to a projector and at the same time send a clean video without CG to a recorder (DDR or hardware deck). If VT4 can please guide me :)

Thanks!

Chribba

John Perkins
09-17-2005, 10:04 AM
No, what goes out is what is recorded from Program out..

You could record from Main but you would have cuts only, no DVE's or anything.

radams
09-17-2005, 10:21 AM
Hi Chribba,

As VT Owner has stated you can record the main, or preview busses seperate from the mixed program bus but you won't get the DVE's etc...

But here is an idea, If there is not too much delay...

Use TWO VT's or 1 VT with a Tricaster...

Then you switch with the main VT and have a clean program out...and use the other VT or a tricaster to put the CG on and output to the projector.

Cheers,

chribba
09-17-2005, 03:35 PM
Thanks for you information.

How many users out there can see a need for a clean video out on the VT.
In my television station we always have the archived video without any CG it has always been so and will not change.

Thanks
Chribba

John Perkins
09-17-2005, 04:12 PM
It sounds like Ray has the best idea to me. You really need a true downstream keyer.

I've never needed that myself. I either need the finished switch ASAP or I have time to clean up the switch using tapes in the cameras. Either way, it is a done deal, no need to archive without the titles.

Paul Lara
09-18-2005, 08:14 AM
Thanks for you information.

How many users out there can see a need for a clean video out on the VT.
In my television station we always have the archived video without any CG it has always been so and will not change.

How about choosing DV out set in Preferences to Main out? That would give you a clean feed.

chribba
09-18-2005, 02:51 PM
How about choosing DV out set in Preferences to Main out? That would give you a clean feed.

Going to try that...BRB

Thanks
Chribba

John Perkins
09-18-2005, 03:05 PM
The preferences say Main Row, doesn't that mean Main IN?

Sill no transitions, just the capability to record it to tape instead of recording to the drives.

chribba
09-18-2005, 03:15 PM
Yep only cuts... Lets say that we need the effects but not the CG... and you know, in a tv studio this is no match at all... A studio in a Box should also be able to do this.... :)

thanks
chribba

John Perkins
09-18-2005, 03:24 PM
Yeah, but in a studio you have multiple pieces, a switcher and a downstream keyer.

Get a TriCaster or even a second VT to use as a DSK and it will still be cheaper than anything else capable of doing it.

chribba
09-18-2005, 03:50 PM
Yeah, but in a studio you have multiple pieces, a switcher and a downstream keyer.

Get a TriCaster or even a second VT to use as a DSK and it will still be cheaper than anything else capable of doing it.

Yep and in "Studio in a Box"... should be what the name says :D

is there wrong to ask for more or give suggestions for upcomming patches?

thanks
chribba

John Perkins
09-18-2005, 03:58 PM
Nah, I was just kidding around.

I'm just not sure they can access the video from that point in the chain.

chribba
09-18-2005, 04:03 PM
Shure they can...it is only a matter of brainstorming and then they can come up with a solution :D

thanks
chribba

French VT
10-24-2005, 08:29 AM
Hi everyone! I'm new here, I'm a new user of VT (VT[4]) and I'm French... so please excuse me if my question appears a bit dumb!

I record from the VT to a DVCam scope, not to the computer disk. As mentioned in this thread, I don't want the CG to appear on what I record to my tape but I want it to go out to the projectors.

I didn't understand what you explained about the settings. Could you make it clearer for me? That would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Karine

Tarheel Cougar
10-27-2005, 10:24 AM
Yep only cuts... Lets say that we need the effects but not the CG... and you know, in a tv studio this is no match at all... A studio in a Box should also be able to do this.... :)

thanks
chribba
Here's a different idea, I don't know if it works with the VT (I would think it might) but it works with the Tricaster. The hangup is that it does not use VT's CG, and you can't be using the IVGA for anything else. Use Powerpoint or some other program as your CG, build your graphics and connect to the VT through IVGA. The Tricaster (I assume the VT would also) has a tab that lets you key the IVGA feed over the projector out. Its not ideal, you can't have different levels of transparency in your graphics, but it might work depending on your needs. Keying those graphics from the computer using the projector's key won't record it out to program. Since that's clear as mud, check out the Tricaster tutorial and see if its applicable:

http://www.newtek.com/tricaster/tutorials/ProjectorKeyer/index.php

TRCC
10-27-2005, 05:33 PM
The ability to record preview with out DSK was a huge deal for us. We needed to record our services without the notes and such from VT, unfortunatly the only way to get a clean mix, with DVEs is to either add another Switcher and send the mix to the VT and use the VT as a CG, or Send VT into another CG (compix, inscriber, etc.).

In our case we run our cameras into a Panasonic AG-MX 70, there we run program into VT 4 via Component, and overlay graphics, or switch to "B-roll" videos. We also use compix, an inexpensive Character Generator to overlay billboards before and after our services. Essentially we have a video switcher, a Master Swticher, and two DSK's, the equivlent of a good broadcast switcher, but "jerry rigged"

chribba
10-28-2005, 03:53 AM
So can we say that it would be very good if this function to get a clean feed of video with mix but not CG in the VTs future.

thanks
chribba

Paul Lara
10-28-2005, 06:54 AM
Yes, we can say that. ;)