PDA

View Full Version : UV noob problems

barnabythebear
09-16-2005, 03:26 PM
Hiya,

I'm just starting to learn the dark art of UV mapping. I have a very simple cylinder mesh that i have assigned a uv map to (Only to a ring of polys). When I apply a map to this in modeler, everyting looks how i would expect, however:

1. When i re-open the object into modeler, the uv display does not show my uv'd polys anymore - is this how it should be. I can display the image applied to the uv's though.

2. In layout, the uv's show themselfs placed correctly on the polys with a uv map, but the rest of the bitmap is smeared across the remaing polys that should not show any of the map?

Thanks

nige.

mkiii
09-16-2005, 05:24 PM
This is normal. The UV maps are only displayed in the UV window when you have the T at the bottom right selected, and you have the correct UV map selected from the dropdown list to the right of that.

It would be a bit easier if the first UV map in the list were automatically selected when you clicked on the T button (ya hearing this Newtek?), or even if the T AND the UV map were selected by default if you opened a UV viewport.

BTW T=Texture Map - I know. I know. Why isn't it a U for UV Map?

If your remaining polys have the same surface, as those that you have already UV mapped, then the UN Mapped polys will do that, because you assigned the UV Map to the entire surface.

If you don't want to UV them for some reason, then the easiest way around it is to give them a separate surface that does not use UV coordinates.

barnabythebear
09-17-2005, 06:37 AM
Hiya,

Thanks - sorted me out, ta.

nige.