PDA

View Full Version : How do I turn on and off a parent constraint?

ece3k
09-16-2005, 01:27 PM
I want my character to catch a ball. I can parent the ball to his hand and he can move it around, but I need the parenting to be off for the first 60 frames, then turn on for the remainder. Can someone tell me how to do this?
Thanks,
Erik
[email protected]

Surrealist.
09-16-2005, 01:43 PM
There are a couple of tools. One is called parenter. In the motion options panel, click on add modifier.

In the pic below I outlined all of the tools that will do some form of parenting or following. They all have slightly different controls. They don't all have the choice to set key frames, but many do.

One thing to keep in mind is that I think all of them will "snap" to the parent postion at the keyframe you indicate so you have to plan your motion paths so it will be a smooth transition. Parenter does not react the same way parent does as well so you will have to play with it. There was one that seemed to work better than the others for this but I can't remeber which right now.

You might want to create test scenes and play with these things to get an idea of how they all work and then choose one.