PDA

View Full Version : 8.5- Particle Dynamics Progress Window

WilliamVaughan
09-16-2005, 10:09 AM
Particle Dynamics Progress Window
Layout- 8.5

Particle Dynamics are Improved for accuracy, including interaction with collision planes in 8.5. A new algorithm also allows large dynamic scenes to load up to 10x faster. This Demo shows the progress window of dynamics calculations. Available when using FXBrowser.

Size- 6 megs
Length- 1 min

Click Here for demo (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/progresswindow.mov)

Ztreem
09-16-2005, 10:58 AM
looks good. Do you have to use the FX browser for the progress window or does it always work even if you use the normal calculation button?
Thanks for the video.

dballesg
09-16-2005, 11:13 AM
Hi William,

Looks like you hear my prayings or read my LONG post about Particle FX on the Features forum :)

Thank you very much for the videos! :)

David

WilliamVaughan
09-16-2005, 12:44 PM
it is currently tied to the FX Browser.

mav3rick
09-16-2005, 12:47 PM
proton will new pfx satisfy HOWARD M needs... please :help:

:deal:

WilliamVaughan
09-16-2005, 01:38 PM
Only Howard M can answer that...but have high hopes :)

He will probably love the way the interact with each other in 8.5 :)

kml12
09-16-2005, 09:16 PM
Good progress NT :thumbsup:, Maybe in 9 we'll have a pause button too :hey:

Panikos
09-16-2005, 10:00 PM
I wonder why is necessary to open a new window for the progress only, and not have only one window for Browser and Progress :thumbsdow

lardbros
09-17-2005, 01:10 AM
Oh, i thought it would be down at the bottom left of the interface or on the dynamics tab of object properties.

Wouldn't it have been easier to just have a percentage bar rather than that window popping up?

Can't complain though, it's all progress.

WilliamVaughan
09-17-2005, 05:08 AM
The question was asked wether or not Dynamics gets the window or not.....here you go!

Panikos
09-17-2005, 05:19 AM
Undoubtfuly better than being blind as far as progress.
However a progressing bar occupying a stripe in the FX-Browser plus an abort button, were sufficient

Having a new window popping up with 15 lines of debugging info is a waste, you add such things in order to see if the software works ok.

evenflcw
09-17-2005, 07:08 AM
Is it possible to open any number of FX Property windows now (one for each FX object) or just the one?

T-Light
09-17-2005, 01:44 PM
Panikos-

Having a new window popping up with 15 lines of debugging info is a waste, you add such things in order to see if the software works ok

I'd have to disagree there, sometimes these calculations seem to take forever, being able to ascertain which frames are going to cause problems etc is something I know I'll find really usefull.

Earl
09-17-2005, 05:33 PM
I'd have to disagree there, sometimes these calculations seem to take forever, being able to ascertain which frames are going to cause problems etc is something I know I'll find really usefull.
Exactly. You don't have to read any of that stuff if you don't want to. But if you need the info, it's there.

Castius
09-17-2005, 05:45 PM
evenflcw YES!
it's acully always been possible in lw 8. But they they made it so that you had to hold ctrl in the FX browser to open muliple panels. I only found this out not to long ago myself while watching one of the LW tutorials. I was overwhelmed with joy when i saw him do that.

evenflcw
09-18-2005, 03:25 AM
Thanks Castius! Didn't know that. Now I'm feeling abit of that joy myself.

Panikos
09-18-2005, 07:24 AM
There are more useful info to debug, like a HUD-System with attachable parameters for instance Envelope Values, Expression Values but it seems nobody is interested. Thats another story, anyway ...

The question was if a NEW window is necessary.
:bangwall:

Chuck
09-19-2005, 08:48 AM
There are more useful info to debug, like a HUD-System with attachable parameters for instance Envelope Values, Expression Values but it seems nobody is interested. Thats another story, anyway ...

The question was if a NEW window is necessary.
:bangwall:

And you've heard from users who are glad to have the new, detailed progress window, so your question has in fact been answered. Like every feature that goes in, there are users whose requests and needs this feature is meeting and who are glad to find it has been added. If you feel an uncontrollable compulsion to let everyone know that you don't find a new feature useful for what you do, then I suppose you have to exercise it, but you seem to be trying to argue the folks who want it and will use it out of wanting it and using it, and refusing to acknowledge that they have in fact answered your question as to whether anyone wanted or needed this feature.

For that matter, there has always been a way to track progress without the window open, as everyone who has used the dynamics knows. When you click "Calculate", progress is tracked in the frame timeline at the bottom of the Layout window. If you don't want the detail window, you don't need to use it.

Panikos
09-19-2005, 08:58 AM
I didnt intend to argue. I just feel my monitor is cluttered with windows :D
Ergonomy is crucial nowadays. Software gets more and more heavily loaded.
If you see my initial post, was about the necessity for opening a new window.
Ok, some people require the debuging info, respect that.
My suggestion was to merge the two windows into one.
If you have 2,3,4 windows open there is no room to see, plus the time you need to place them, and close them at the end.

My intentions are always constructive and my opinion is one out of the many.
No need to be that defensive Chuck :jester:

For debugging ... hmmm ... Constructive idea !!
A custom object accepting 2 parameters and display their values in text form.
Two, in order to compare ... ahhmmm :bowdown:

T-Light
09-19-2005, 09:37 AM
Chuck-

as everyone who has used the dynamics knows. When you click "Calculate", progress is tracked in the frame timeline at the bottom of the Layout window

Ah, that's exactly why I need a seperate window, don't know how many people are affected by this but when I start dynamics calculations, the indicator on the timeline usually only goes so far then freezes. The timeline comes back to life once the calculations are over but this could be hours after you set it away. The worst part is wondering just how long LW's locked up for and the nagging doubt that the calculation has crashed altogether.

Panikos, I get the too many windows not enough monitors problem, I'm just thinking 'me me me' on this one :D

Panikos
09-19-2005, 09:44 AM
Since the second window is the natural successor of the first ...
That was my point.

I guess that my suggestion was misinterpreted or was considered agressive :grumpy:

Maybe is better to shut up, not to disturb 8/

Chuck
09-19-2005, 09:59 AM
I didnt intend to argue. I just feel my monitor is cluttered with windows :D
Ergonomy is crucial nowadays. Software gets more and more heavily loaded.
If you see my initial post, was about the necessity for opening a new window.
Ok, some people require the debuging info, respect that.
My suggestion was to merge the two windows into one.
If you have 2,3,4 windows open there is no room to see, plus the time you need to place them, and close them at the end.

Actually, as is very clearly seen in the video, the dynamics progress window opens when the calculation begins, and closes itself immediately when the calculation is complete or when the user aborts the calculation. If you choose to use the FXBrowser, you can set the FXBrowser window where ever you please prior to starting calculations, and, again as seen in the video, the progress window will open just below that, overlapping the bottom portion of the FXBrowser window, show the progress during the calculation, and automatically close when the calculation is over.

[Edit:] Just to comment on the ergonomy point, it seemed to the team to be much better conservation of the screen real estate to open a small window temporarily during the calculation than to enlarge the FXBrowser panel full-time, even just to the extent required to place the progress bar element there. Alternating the size of the panel is another possibility, but that really is not much different than what we're doing now in terms of result on the interface during the course of calculation.

My intentions are always constructive and my opinion is one out of the many.
No need to be that defensive Chuck :jester:

I certainly appreciate your constructive intent, and there is nothing defensive about my comments - just stating some points that seem to me to be useful to consider, especially given that a number of the points you were making did not seem to actually apply in this situation, given what the video very clearly shows about how this optional tool operates.

Rather than defensive I was actually a bit puzzled, since the feedback seemed out of sync with the features as presented. Apologies if that came out somehow as "defensiveness."

Chuck
09-19-2005, 10:09 AM
Chuck-

Ah, that's exactly why I need a seperate window, don't know how many people are affected by this but when I start dynamics calculations, the indicator on the timeline usually only goes so far then freezes. The timeline comes back to life once the calculations are over but this could be hours after you set it away. The worst part is wondering just how long LW's locked up for and the nagging doubt that the calculation has crashed altogether.

This happens if there is any shift in focus in the interface during the calculation - this includes trying to move the Object Properties panel, clicking on the Layout interface anywhere, or shifting focus to another application. With FXBrowser open, this problem is eliminated, and shifting focus among LightWave interface elements or to another application does not disrupt the display of progress. We've got a request in to development to improve the behavior so that progress continues being displayed in the frame timeline even when FXBrowser is not in use.

Chuck
09-19-2005, 10:18 AM
Since the second window is the natural successor of the first ...
That was my point.

I guess that my suggestion was misinterpreted or was considered agressive :grumpy:

Maybe is better to shut up, not to disturb 8/

Naaaahh!!! After all, by asking questions and making comments and suggestions, hopefully you and many others now understand this feature and others aspects of the dynamics more clearly than everyone did at first.

Emmanuel
09-19-2005, 10:38 AM
And besides that: any new feature is a good feature :)
Especially if its optional.
****, I really can't wait to play with the improved HV particles in 9, Ya know, the liquid ones !