PDA

View Full Version : transparency in rendered output

Meerah
09-16-2005, 05:23 AM
Can anyone tell me how to render in order to produce animation with alpha channel ? Maybe just saving only as a sequence of images ? Thhhaaaannxxxx :ohmy:

maxxwv
09-16-2005, 05:57 AM
You're always better off rendering to an image sequence than into a straight animation format - if the render poops out, for instance, you can just start over after the last good render if it's a sequence. Not so possible with an animation. Just make sure that you render to a 32-bit format (.tif, .tga, etc...) and the alpha will be imbedded in the image. You can also render the alpha files separately if that's more to your liking (Render tab -> Render Properties -> Output Files. This tab has the Save RGB and Save Alpha options).

If, however, you must render to an animation file, Quicktime format set to Millions of Colors+ will include an embedded alpha channel (that's the '+').

Meerah
09-16-2005, 12:30 PM
The problem is that if I tried to render a image sequence in .png 32 bit format. I got to unexpectable results..e.g. objects had different colors and so on. Which of these formats is according to you the best ?, given I want to have outputs of smaller size , quality can be average. I am rendering volumetric fire seperatedly and find it truly impossible to key out the black in any other application. Can you please give few more clues ? Cheers so far. :) :stumped:

toby
09-16-2005, 01:04 PM
Tiff is a good format, it will give you a clean alpha automatically. TGA and PSD are pretty good too. PNG is good if you're trying to save hard drive space, there shouldn't be any color change with it, I don't know why it's happening to you -

maxxwv
09-16-2005, 04:09 PM
Yeah, random color shifting is wierd. Can't say that I've ever had that problem before.

But if you're trying to conserve drive space, go with .png - otherwise targas or tiffs are good for quality. .psd files usually end up being the largest of the options, in my experience.