PDA

View Full Version : how much is a logo worth??

giri
09-16-2005, 04:15 AM
hows it going people, Im new 2 this and wondering if anyone could give me some guidelines on how much you charge for a basic 3d logo animation...thanks

StereoMike
09-16-2005, 04:29 AM
That depends on a thousand factors.
You have to see, what people charge in your region (it's different all over the world), if it's a project that will be seen by masses (TV) or just by the parents of your buddy, how much work has been involved, how much you are willing to work for the money (charging little means you have to work your a** off to get the bills paid, charging much means you will only have a few clients and have to rely on them).

Mike

giri
09-16-2005, 04:48 AM
thanks for the reply mike, its a project to be seen by the masses, the work involved will vary but basically were talking putting a logo in 3d, giving it a spin, eploding it or just dancing it across the screen, the market in the canary islands(where im at) is as of yet undeveloped as most producers send out to big companies in the penninsula (spain) where they tend to charge big bucks, so im looking to tempt them to try me out instead of going directly to big 3d houses on the mainland, therefore im willing to work cheap but not too cheap as the wolf as of yet isnt baying at the door
laura

Ivan
09-16-2005, 05:04 AM
Shop the big houses that they are going to and ask what they charge, you may get the run around while they try to see if you are legit but you may be able to get an hourly rate from them and an estimate as to how long it would take. Figure out the difference they have for overhead and you should be getting in the neighborhood.

Remember that creating the logo is only part of the picture for your overhead, there is your time marketing, equipment, software, billing, etc. Some people figure things like billing only cost an envelope and a stamp but in fact it cost around $30 to generate and mail an invoice. It's certainly ok to not pay yourself for this service if that's what you like to do with your free time but I doubt that many people consciously choose billing as a hobby.

Ivan

giri
09-16-2005, 05:32 AM
nice one ivan, sounds like a plan...laura

Captain Obvious
09-16-2005, 08:49 AM
According to some guy at [H], his company charges $110 per hour for logo work, and it usually takes between five and ten hours, or something such.

Not very helpful, but still. :)

smudge11
09-16-2005, 02:25 PM
Another thing to be mindful of, is that if you ask for too little, you may not get the job. That's right, I said too little. If you only charge a small amount, you will be percieved as not good, not established, not credible.
I'm not saying you have to charge what the big houses are charging, but if they charge 1000, for example, and you say you'll do it for 100, you will be seen as maybe not providiing the same quality. If you say you'll do it for say, 850, now you look like a bargin.

Lou

redial2
09-17-2005, 11:43 AM
Another thing to be mindful of, is that if you ask for too little, you may not get the job. That's right, I said too little. If you only charge a small amount, you will be percieved as not good, not established, not credible.
I'm not saying you have to charge what the big houses are charging, but if they charge 1000, for example, and you say you'll do it for 100, you will be seen as maybe not providiing the same quality. If you say you'll do it for say, 850, now you look like a bargin.

Lou

Good point Lou, hadn't thought of it that way.

giri
09-19-2005, 04:18 AM
thanks 2 all for your replies, youve been a great help...laura