PDA

View Full Version : Text looks bad on NTSC monitor

sonofmickel
09-15-2005, 09:46 PM
I have solved the problem of bending text-triple, divide, julianne-you choose what which one works for you.
So now i have the still sequences in After Effects or Premiere Pro. I render the timeline and my text and other graphics have serrated edges! Looks horrible! Anyone have an answer?
The text and objects have tight, sine-wave, horizontal type edge on them, only when in motion. When I stop the timeline the images look sharp and good. This only happens when I play the timeline. Original files are exported from LW 8.3 using LWPsd 32, and Targa files. Hmmm...
A.H.A.

MonroePoteet
09-16-2005, 11:27 AM
Try using interleaved rendering in After Effects or Premiere rather than frame-based. If you're already using field rendering, try changing the field order.

mTp

ece3k
09-16-2005, 01:55 PM
Part of the issue may also be that NTSC video sucks. It cannot handle very small lines close together resulting in patterning and crap. I have found several things that tend to help.....render with way higher anti aliasing, use motion blurring, and in a last resort, apply a small amount of gaussian blur in AE. This is a tough thing because your computer can output a lot more detail than your video signal. If you have a live preview output to video, that is helpful for trial and error.
Good luck.
Erik

sonofmickel
09-16-2005, 11:12 PM
No small lines. It just looks bad. I am rendering at Extreme render quality. I do have Edges on the letters. I will remove them and re-try.
A.H.A.

ece3k
09-19-2005, 06:27 AM
This may sound strange as a fix, but it has helped us a few times....adjust the timing of the letters if they are moving. One of our editors recently came to me with this problem of text looking bad (actually it looked jaggedy single field-ish)....I told him to move up the text one pixel and it solved the problem. We didn't change the font size, just moved it up a line.
Hope that helps.
Erik