PDA

View Full Version : different aa settings for different purposes

tischbein3
09-15-2005, 01:30 PM
ooook my beloved thematic.

it would be really nice, effective (you know what)... to have the possebillity to change aa settings on a per object
(yes I know: it can be done in post everything can be done in post...)
and (and now it comes) if possible BLEND between different AA settings on a per frame setting.

Best to explained by an example:

Lets say, you got an awfull highly jittering texture on a sphere. Wich is
way far from the cam. (So a lot of AA passes are needed) Lets say the spehere moves quite close to it. (Where the AA could be reduced)

So by not going the detour of making different mip maps, render certain image sequences twice (with high and lower aa), and blend them in post, it would be wonderfull if this could be controlled by an envelope:

Lets say in frame x he should have a pld of 17 passes and in frame x+10 only 9 so frame x to x+3 he would render 17 passes and blend it with a 15 pass calculation, on frame x+3 to x+6 render 15 passes and blend it with a twelf calculation.etc...

Well I know this depends that each aa pass of a 17 contains the same sample passes as for 15...if not, well forget this, BUT: at least for the reconstruction filters it should be allways working wouldn't it ?

Lightwolf
09-15-2005, 02:18 PM
Well, for your example it would be more useful if LW would just support one of the more modern texture filtering algorithms, like EWA (elliptical weighed averaging).

Basically, full frame AA nowadays should only be neccessary for geometry edges and (may be) procedurals as well as DOF/motion blur in the case of LW.

Even in your blending case, LW would have to still render 17 passes, if only to blend with the 15 actually used. And I doubt that the 15 and 17 use the same sampling pattern.

Cheers,
Mike

tischbein3
09-15-2005, 05:08 PM
Well, for your example it would be more useful if LW would just support one of the more modern texture filtering algorithms, like EWA (elliptical weighed averaging).

All new methods to solve aa problems is really welcomed here. :D
And a one click solution is definitive better than:
render two frames-> check aa -> set aa, go 10 frames further, render two frames.....etc

Because aliasing and noise is big problem in all render engines (some MORE some less) This "wish" has been "lowered" to a more flexible way for tweaking the existing technology.

I would even try to build my own aa pixel filter, if this whole topic wouldn't be that much on the dark side of math, (plus so less time and so much other projects)....
(so do you know if there is any source code for "semi-cut'n'paste" out there ?).

Even in your blending case, LW would have to still render 17 passes, if only to blend with the 15 actually used.

Jepp, but this would be still 13 passes less than rendering both images. ;)
(So my request still goes for the reconstruction filters....)

Maybe someone out here could be looking at this and comes up with something totaly different. (maybe a car or something...)

Anyway thanks for the fast reply,

Lightwolf
09-15-2005, 05:23 PM
(so do you know if there is any source code for "semi-cut'n'paste" out there ?).

Not really, basicaly because you're issue should be solved at a different level, bascially with a replacement for the image texture layer, and the SDK doesn't provide the parameters needed for better image filtering (I know, I keep looking for them ;) ).

Maybe, since NT did add new AA filters, they will open up the SDK to allow for third party filters, however, you're problem is still easier solved at the image filtering level (also with less hassle and lower rendering times) than anywhere else.

Cheers,
Mike - oh yes, sample reconstruction (which is what we're talking about here) is a topic unto itself...