PDA

View Full Version : Viper and LW 8.5

KSTAR
09-15-2005, 11:54 AM
With all of the new Open GL features being implemented in LW 8.5 & 9 it seems the line is being blurred between those features and Viper. What will Viper offer that cant be accomplished with the new native Open GL features?

JamesCurtis
09-15-2005, 04:18 PM
With LW8.5 still not out yet, it's hard to say, but Viper at the moment allows direct selection of surface texture from within it's window. Not sure if that will be possible with the opengl changes.

We'll have to see.

wilgory
10-04-2005, 02:17 PM
With LW8.5 still not out yet, it's hard to say, but Viper at the moment allows direct selection of surface texture from within it's window. Not sure if that will be possible with the opengl changes.

We'll have to see.
Viper still has a lot of room for development. For instance it does not update the reflection and refractions in the viper window which is terrible and makes it hard to do shiny and reflective or refractive surfaces. I would hope that they would also improve viper to have higher quality images and to be able to do most if not all of the included shaders and lighting effects like Global illumination, HDRI lighting, and Radiosity previews. Compared to Fprime Viper is a piece of crap, but I refuse to buy another lightwave plugin until they sucessfully work for more then 2 versions. At this stage in the game, I'm on hold.

Greg