PDA

View Full Version : Bent text errors

sonofmickel
09-14-2005, 11:37 PM
I am having a problem with some bent text. I have the text rotating around the center of an atom. The errors show up in preview and in renders. The problem goes away when the text aligns itself with the camera, or so it seems...Then I have another problem-when activating "raytrace shadows" in the render prefs, the faces get all funky! Check out the lowercase a. Why is this happening?

AHA (All Help Appreciated)
Can I patent this "AHA"? ****! Madonna allready has it.

BeeVee
09-15-2005, 02:21 AM
Because you don't have enough polygons? Since your letters are bending around the sphere you need to have a lot of vertical subdivisions otherwise you end up with errors - as an example, it's easy to bend a chain into a circle than a plank of wood...

Try using the Julienne tool to subdivide your letters.

B

prospector
09-15-2005, 11:09 AM
Just another reason why we NEED the text tool from 5.6 :bangwall:

sonofmickel
09-15-2005, 11:14 AM
I actually had the letters jullianed, just not enough. I julianed on the x and y axis to correct the problem. So...I fixed it.
What I want to know is why, at off angle shots the geometry dissappeared?
Why, when I activate "raytrace shadows" in the render options did holes appear on the letters?
Just seems very quirky and "difficult" to get a good render in Lightwave. The results are better than some programs, but still, more difficult.
E.

BeeVee
09-15-2005, 03:31 PM
Non-planar polygoms will always give unexpected results. It's not hard to get great renders in LightWave as long as you are giving it what it expects...

B

Lightwolf
09-15-2005, 03:48 PM
One more thing you should do after you Julienne, that is triple all your polygons. If you want to bend the mesh later, this will make sure that you will not have any non-planar polygons at all (by definition, a polygon with 3 vertices is always planar, that is why some renderers take the shortcut any only use triangles in meshes - that and the fact that raytracing is easier to do).

You will still need plenty of subdivisions to get a clean bend if you want to actually bend the letters.
If you just want the line of text to wrap around your object, I'd suggest you cut each letter into a separate layer, parent them to a nul in Layout and rotate the null. (actually, parent each to its own null, move the letter on the Z and rotate the parent null to position, then the master parent null to rotate the text). A pain to set-up, but much more flexible in the end.

Cheers,
Mike