PDA

View Full Version : Old Video Toaster 4000/Flyer 4.2 won't start up

sparis
09-14-2005, 09:47 PM
Hi,
I'd appreciate any help. Here's what's happening. First the amiga won't start right up. After several restarts, with the floppy icon going in and out, it will come up.
In the 90's my wife purchased an amiga 4000/030 and installed toaster/flyer boards. She hardly used them and quit the business. after all these years she would like to sell.

The problem is she doesn't remember how to use it. I've tried to get it to boot, but when I hit the toaster startup, it says: Unable to open your tool 'SHDI' Toaster: Video Toaster.
When I try to start the flyer, it says - Can't find fast ram or can't obtain chip ram. Then a box stays open and I can't get it to close.

How can I get these going. I found all 45 of the Video toaster 4000 installation discs and CDs of flyer 4.2 etc.

The amiga says it has 1,518,304 graphics memory. 0 other memory.
There is a tower with two SCSi drives, one for audio and one for video. Also there is a TBC installed.
Thanks for any help. It will be really appreciated.

John Paris

John Perkins
09-14-2005, 11:26 PM
Wow, not many posts over here...

I'd reseat all the cards and RAM, but be careful with the RAM. Those slots were brittle enough in the 90's.

There is no "Fast" ram, only chip ram available, so it won't start the Flyer. Hopefully it's all there but not making contact well. You should have atleast 16MB of Fast RAM. That would mean that unless there is a RAM card somewhere else, the motherboard slots should be fully populated. My guess is that all the problems stem from loose RAM. I think the two closest to the center are the chip ram, but it's been a while.

If you have the Flyer CD, you don't need the floppies. Those were for 3.1 probably and the Flyer needs the newer version from the CD. I'd not touch the software. It was probably working when it was put away and too hard to reinstall correctly with our faded memories.

Good luck.

sparis
10-10-2005, 08:18 AM
Hi,

Thanks for this help. I'll try it and hpefully that's the problem.

Much thanks,

Sandy

tonsofpcs
10-11-2005, 09:36 PM
Is this with a Video Toaster 2000 or Video Toaster 4000 board?

aseeley
06-20-2006, 08:55 PM
did you ever get it working...I had the same type problems with my a4000 toaster/flyer...and the ram was the prob. BTW is the A4000 still 4 sale?

amiga2091
06-23-2006, 09:58 AM
Being an old Amiga guy, I already see several problems with this system. You normally need 2 megs of Chip ram and 16 megs of fast ram to get this all up and running. It appears you only have 1 meg of chip ram and that is all. As John suggested, try reseating the memory first.

The floppy icon coming in and out means it no longer sees a hard drive. You need to see if the hard drive cable is still connected to the Amiga for the system drive.

You might want to contact Software Hut and see if they can maybe reset this system up. Their url is www.softhut.com

Once the Amiga is up and running, then you can start working on the Flyer issues. Honestly, with not enough memory and no visible system hard drive, the Flyer part is the last thing to look at right now.

John