PDA

View Full Version : Parallel dongle question

dgill
09-14-2005, 07:58 PM
My new PC doesn't have a parallel port. Can I use a PCI parallel card for my LW dongle? Is anyone doing this?

I know I can swap to the USB dongle, but I don't need the hassle of getting all my programs moved to the new PC, and then having to relicense all my plugins at the same time. One headache at a time please. If I can keep my parallel dongle for a while longer I would prefer it.

Thanks.

pauland
09-14-2005, 09:01 PM
I believe people are running LW dongles off parrallel port cards, so it should be possible. The cards are so cheap, why not go ahead and try it?

Personally I'd say that now would be a good time to switch to USB (if you can) before LW8.5/LW9 is released and Newtek and thir distributors get busy..

It will be a nuisance re-licencing plugins, but in my experience it's not too bad.

Paul

krimpr
09-15-2005, 04:40 AM
I feel for you dgill; I just came up against the same problem; no parallel port. I called Tech support before getting a parallel card to ask if the old style dongle would be supported with LW9 and was told that safenet would not be writing sentinel drivers for it. I made the exchange and spent about three days getting the new activation codes from various vendors for the new ID. It was a hassle, but once it's done it's done. Ironically, I managed to get everything working except my 7.5 version of LW, which Newtek has STILL (after two weeks to the day) has not given me an activation code for with the new dongle. I'm still more comfortable with the older interface and want the option of using it.

archimage3d
09-15-2005, 06:44 AM
This doesn't sound good. I thought that newtek previously stated that you would not need a usb dongle for 9. (I am probably wrong)

So will I have will have to pay extra for a new dongle?

This will also mean that I won't be able to use any plugins which were keyed to the older dongle and are no longer supported (I was just thinking of doing some more work with lipservice and shave!!)

pauland
09-15-2005, 06:52 AM
This doesn't sound good. I thought that newtek previously stated that you would not need a usb dongle for 9. (I am probably wrong)

You're not wrong, but there won't be a parallel port dongle driver for the 64bit version of LW, so while you use the 32bit version you will be OK, but to use the 64 bit version you'll have to trade in that old friend..

Kurtis
09-15-2005, 08:46 AM
Sorry for any confusion that my have occurred here, but pauland is correct. You should be able to continue to use a parallel-port dongle for LightWave 9. However, if you plan on using LightWave 64-bit and/or Windows XP Pro X64, you will need to upgrade to a USB-port dongle.

If you want to upgrade to a USB dongle, there is a $30 charge if you do it separately from an upgrade. If you do it at the same time as an upgrade, there is no charge. Either way, you will need to contact Customer Service to start the process.

If you are having difficulty contacting Customer Service via email, please feel free to call them at 1-800-862-7837. They answer hundreds of emails a day, but on occasion, emails will get caught by our spam filters coming in, or get caught by the customer's (or their ISP's) spam filters going back out.

colkai
09-15-2005, 01:52 PM
Personally, I'd say go for it.
I switched to USB dongle as part of my upgrade, it all went very smoothly.
The only plugin I've yet to get re-registered is Verti-Bevel, for some reason, I've had no reply from my EMails, but everything else went very smoothly, all I did was send the new details of the plugin along with a scan of my recpt proving I'd swapped my dongle, not bought a new license, (which OneVideo very kindly show on the invoice), to the parties concerned.
Took me no more than two days to get everything back up and running, LW itself was operational within hours thanks to some very prompt response from Newtek Europe. :D

Cman
09-16-2005, 08:26 AM
I also just upgraded and did the dongle swap.
It was just fine.

Relicensing was easy. For example, I sent Worley an email with all my numbers and they wrote back within an hour.

WizCraker
09-17-2005, 10:56 PM
I recently switch, have had problems from Worley not getting back to me with a new license [going on 10 days now, calling doesn't work and email is just as useless], Eyeon Software for DFX+ refuses to give new license since NewTek did not send a paper invoice with the package only email [product shelved and will never buy that upgrade to Fusion 5 I was saving up for, if they can't take the invoice that NewTek emailed me as proof or verify with NewTek then I would rather not be a customer of theirs].

Also NewTek apparently doesn't answer email to get an invoice sent out, I've waited 8 days and sent two emails asking for the invoice, Been on hold for 45+ minutes, I don't have time to waste to be on hold as I have only certain times of availablilty in my schedule for stuff like this].

It is too much hassle and headache to switch, even though your new computer doesn't have the parallel port [mine doesn't either].

I measure customer satisfaction by the way a company treats you. Not answering email sent to customer service [or any other email address for support or question] should not take more than 72 hours to answer. No answer to email goes down in my memory and file for the future. If I upgrade to continue as a customer this weighs if it is worth the hassle.

Currently I'm disgruntled with plugin developers and other companies that have their software tied to the old parallel dongle. NewTek surprising actually got the dongle out to me quickly after a Shipping error so good marks for them on that one, bad marks for no answer on email for the paper invoice so I can fax it to Eyeon as Proof.

pauland
09-18-2005, 02:42 AM
WizCracker,

I'm sorry that you've had such hassle. All I can say is that it wasn't my own experience where everything went completely smoothly and judging from other posters, my experience is more likely to be the norm.

I hope you get the situation resolved soon and I really hope that your experience doesn't discourage others from trading dongles.

Worley has always been quick to respond, so I have no idea why you're having such trouble. Newtek has always had a patchy record with CS emails (contrast this with Newtek Europe). Eyeone, well what can I say?

Good luck with getting it resolved.

Paul

colkai
09-18-2005, 02:45 AM
Strange,
My experience was the polar opposite of yours.
Newtek were very prompt with their response to me and Worley was also quick in responding. The EMail from Newtek should be more than proof enough as Worley can verify with Newtek if need be.
Eyeon again was quite quick and I re-registered my DFX+ to my new dongle within a day or so. I also made sure I gave them a contact name & EMail should they need verification.
The only plugin developer I've had trouble with is the Vertibevel developer who has steadfastly ignored my EMail. Which is a point against them for sure, seeing as weeks on, there is still no reply.
Everyone else was fast and friendly.

TheDAve
09-18-2005, 04:28 AM
Another positive response.

Ordered the upgrade and dongle swap from OneVideo. The courier gave me the new dongle and took the old one back. I had Lightwave, DFX+ and Fprime up and running within 2 hours of the swap.

The only problem was I missed the courier the first time he arrived and had to wait for him to come back later (he arrived at 9am - I'm never at work that early ;))