PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Guru's

Stormrazor
09-14-2005, 03:00 PM
Did someone say at some point and time recently that if you have a Norton anything on your system, get rid of it? I have Norton Antivirus. If so what was the recommendation to change to and also, question two. There was talk of a better net render software. Which one is recommended if I were to not use screamernet?

Thank you for your time.

Silkrooster
09-14-2005, 05:46 PM
No you don't need to get rid of it. You will always find some who does not like a product for one reason or another and will try to get everyone else to switch.
The only problem that i have run accross so far is with Norton firewall, but after awhile I figured out how to make it play nicely with Lightwave.
Probably the biggest problem with norton is the programs are becoming quite huge, most if not all companies assume since the price of memory is becoming "cheap". That the user won't mind one more program running in the background. These programs all add up and eventually you run out of system resources.
The bottom line is how much memory is in your system and is it worth it to switch to a smaller program which many or may not be so reliable at stoping viruses and spam.
Silk

Stormrazor
09-14-2005, 05:59 PM
I'm sorry I should have put that in.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name
System Manufacturer INTELR
System Model AWRDACPI
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~3277 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~3277 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 8/16/2004
SMBIOS Version 2.2
Windows Directory WINDOWS
System Directory WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name STORMRAZOR\John
Time Zone Central Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,536.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 506.71 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.86 GB

and running Foxfire as my browser.

I just don't want to have it crash.....also I found the post on net render software. Is Spider the better net render? I am having some thoughts on the network render....not all my computers are in the same room. :newtek:

Mechanic
09-14-2005, 08:08 PM
I use Norton on my LightWave machine. No problems.