PDA

View Full Version : Screamernet won't render plug-ins.

Lunar Unit
09-14-2005, 10:44 AM
I have my screamernet working beautifully but there is one problem; if I use any plug-ins, they don't render. I've checked out the methods of scanning the plug-ins used in Dan Ablan's tutorial. Still doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Knight Chat X
09-15-2005, 01:20 AM
Each client needs the same plugins referenced?

mkiii
09-15-2005, 03:23 AM
It depends entirely on what plugins you are using. Some 3rd party, (and possibly some supplied with LW), do not work with distributed rendering.

If you have 3rd party plugins, try copying them all to the client nodes using the same folders as on the host. IE duplicate the essential parts of your LW setup on each node.

Knight Chat X
09-15-2005, 05:29 AM
Yep, because you may have plugin setup on 1 machine to apply a certain effect but the other machines don't so that effect is not applied on the other machines, that is just a theory though and I don't know weither or not it's true as I don't know how screamernet 2 operates internally, weither or not it makes specialized calls to plugins on the remote nodes or just on the main server end.

Lightwolf
09-15-2005, 08:10 AM
lunar unit:
This is hard to diagnose really. Where are you're render nodes installed (paths)? Where are the plugins? Can you post a snippet of the lwext8.cfg from your render nodes (whis is where you plugin configuration is located) ?

Cheers,
Mike

Lunar Unit
09-15-2005, 09:57 AM
Lightwolf:
My render node (I only have one) is on a mapped network drive :Z. (Is that what you were asking?) The Plug-ins are on the main computer in the lightwave 8 folder. I went to look for the lwext8.cfg file on my render node and couldn't find it there. I have a LW 8 programs folder but no lwext8.cfg file in it. Perhaps this is the problem?

Lightwolf
09-15-2005, 11:15 AM
Lightwolf:
My render node (I only have one) is on a mapped network drive :Z. (Is that what you were asking?) The Plug-ins are on the main computer in the lightwave 8 folder. I went to look for the lwext8.cfg file on my render node and couldn't find it there. I have a LW 8 programs folder but no lwext8.cfg file in it. Perhaps this is the problem?
lwext8.cfg is in varying locations, depending on the OS or the language. Do a search on your node. Check if the paths in the lwext8.cfg actually point to z:\wherever\you\installed\LW\Plugins...

Cheers,
Mike

Lunar Unit
09-15-2005, 04:25 PM
First off, I did a search on my node and there was no such file found. I located the file on my main computer and found that the plug-ins are pointing to my C: drive. I read in the LW manual that you can go into that LWEXT8.cfg file and change each C: to the correct mapped network drive file (in my case Z:) and that supposed to point screamernet to the plug-ins. Do I also need to make a copy of that file and slap it on the node?

Lightwolf
09-15-2005, 05:27 PM
Do I also need to make a copy of that file and slap it on the node?
Yes, absolutely. You can also use the -c or -p command line switches to tell lwsn where to find the configs.

i.e.
lwsn -cz\:myconfigs
Note, no trailing slash !
or
lwsn -c"z\:myconfigs in a directory with a space"

-c defines the directory for all configs (i.e. lw8.cfg as well, where the threading settings as well as the render buffer size is defined).
-p defines the directory for the lwext8.cfg _only_ so you can actually split those if you feel adventurous.

Cheers,
Mike

Lunar Unit
09-16-2005, 10:25 AM
So let me get this strait...when I go into the LWEXT8.cfg file, a line appears like this:
Module "C:\\LightWave[8]\\Plugins\\Input-output\\Avi.p"
Are you saying to modify it by inserting:
Module -c"z:\\LightWave[8]\\Plugins\\Input-output\\Avi.p"
Then copy that .cfg file to the node.

Do I have it correct??? Or am I just some hard headed bozo? (don't answer that)

Knight Chat X
09-16-2005, 10:48 PM
So let me get this strait...when I go into the LWEXT8.cfg file, a line appears like this:

Ok, that might be the answer there, are you trying to network render to save as an AVI file?

If so, from what I know so far network rendering you can only save to individual images, such as BMP/JPG/TGA, etc...

Now doing that with other plugins might work, the C:\\ configuration path is telling the program to search for the plugins on the local machine's C drive, Z drive would be a shared network drive in this case.

Lightwolf
09-17-2005, 04:26 AM

I won't answer it then ;)

heh, seriously though, you've got two things mixed up here. you have to edit your lwext8.cfg from
to
Module "Z:\\LightWave[8]\\Plugins\\Input-output\\Avi.p"
(Search and replace c:\\ by z:\\ should do).

The -c or -p are switches for lwsn.exe, to be used in the .bat file that starts the render node. You could for example save your modified lwext8.cfg in z:\LightWave[8]\nodeconfig, and then edit that batch file that starts lwsn.exe to include something like this
lwsn -p z:\LightWave[8]\nodeconfig ... whatever else is in the batch ...

This way lwsn will look for the plugin config in z:\LightWave[8]\nodeconfig where you placed the modified one, instead of searching in the default place on the render node (which tends to be in your "profiles\user settings" or whatever it is called).

I hope that helps.

And yeah, as Knight Chat X has mentioned, always render to single frames.

Cheers,
Mike

Matt
09-17-2005, 05:38 AM
To sum up:

Every render node (the .bat file) needs access to the plugins, even to save files. The location of all the plugins is stored in LW8EXT.cfg (or LWEXT3.cfg - pre LW v8)

So the part of the .bat file that deals with that is as Mike says is the -c switch in the LWSN.exe line.

The -c path must point where you have the LWEXT8.cfg file stored, but if you are using the same LWEXT8.cfg file for your main LightWave, all of the plugin paths are pointing locally to:

C:\\LightWave[8]\\Plugins

Your render node however may find the LWEXT8.cfg file on your main machine, but is then told to load the plugins from C:\\LightWave[8]\\Plugins locally on the machine that has the render node on it, which doesn't exist.

The quickest way to set this up is to copy your plugins folder to the Z:\ mapped location, along with a copy of the LWEXT8.cfg file.

Then edit the LWEXT8.cfg file and replace all occurances of:

C:\\LightWave[8]\\Plugins

With

Z:\\Plugins

Then in your .bat file point the -c switch to that folder:

-cZ:\

You can't just edit the original LWEXT8.cfg on your main machine because your main LightWave install won't find the plugins then.

To really help us out can you tell us:

What is the path on your render node machine to the LightWave install

What location has been drive mapped to Z:

- - -

If you have mapped the Z: drive to your main LightWave folder, then you need to create a new folder for the Screamernet version of your configs, I use config_sn for short, copy LWEXT8.cfg there and again edit the paths in LWEXT8.cfg to:

Z:\\Plugins

And then change your -c path to -cZ:\\config_sn

I've never been sure whether Screamernet uses any information from LW8.cfg to find anything, the only thing I can think of is your content. This information stored in the LW8.cfg, but you tell the render node this in the .bat file, so I'm guessing you don't need it.

If you need anything else let us know!

Cheers
Matt
(Author of the Screamernet section in 'Inside LightWave 8') !!! :D

Lightwolf
09-17-2005, 08:50 AM
I've never been sure whether Screamernet uses any information from LW8.cfg to find anything, the only thing I can think of is your content.
Yup, the content if it isn't explicitly defined, as well as the number of threads to use and the size of the render buffer memory. Anything else is ignored.

Cheers,
Mike

Matt
09-17-2005, 09:45 AM
Ahhh, cheers Mike!