PDA

View Full Version : screamernet under XP trouble

Lor
09-13-2005, 10:35 PM
Hey everyone.

We're running screamernet via Spider over our network. We've added a few new systems with Windows XP and are having issues getting it to work on the new machines. ie: lwsn doesn't seem to work under XP. We can submit a job to run on spider, but it will not render on XP machines.

Has anyone else had this problem? Our IT guys think it might have something to do with how XP networks work.

Any help is appreciated.

lor

Knight Chat X
09-14-2005, 02:23 AM
Receive any access error messages?

Check your firewall and/or router settings, you must make sure File and Printer Sharing is enabled and running properly on machine with main lightwave installation.

A few processes must also be running on all client machines, computer browser, workstation, etc...

NetBIOS must be enabled.

Port routings for firewall and router are:
137 - 139 for NetBIOS.
443 - 445 for Computer/Machine Recognition.

If you run firewall like Zone Alarm may experience problems with mapped network drives, try shutting off the firewall on client machines and enable XP's built-in firewall, then go into your XP firewall settings and make sure File and Printer Sharing is enabled, also make sure File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is enabled in your Local Area Connection Properties under the General tab.

All machines must have a Windows Login Password setup in order for this to work, they do not have to have the same password.

After the above is done, select which folders you wish to share on the main server (The machine with the main Lightwave installation.), do this by right clicking on a folder you wish to share and click Sharing and Security... in the right click popup menu, on the Sharing tab click Share this folder, click the Permissions button and put checkmark in Allow Full Control, click Apply then click OK, do this for all folders you wish to share.

Now the folders are ready for file sharing, click Start and right click on My Computer, click Computer Name tab and give computer an approriate name which identifies that specific machine.

Lastly, on the client machines click Start and right click My Computer, then click Map Network Drive, when the Map Network Drive window comes up click the Browse button, the computer folder you are trying to access should show up in the list showing after the main server computers name (The one with main Lightwave installation.), click on the folder you wish to access and click connect using a different username., type in the username and password (Windows Login Username and Password) of the main server, click OK and click OK, the folder should now be added and the drive letter should show in My Computer, if it works double clicking on drive letter should open folder up on the main server.

To share folders on the client machine the same is done for all clients in reverse, just make sure to type in username and password for the clients, not the main server, and enable everything for the clients same as you did with the server.

Note: If the main server didn't show up in the Map Network Drive browse list, try clicking Start/Search and choose to search for Printer, Computers, or People..., type the name in search box of the main server, then click Search button, the computer should show up in the list now, if not try mapping the drive through the search window.

If you still have problems try running the Home and Office Networking Wizard on each machine and try all the above again.

Lor
09-14-2005, 09:33 AM
Thanks Knight, I appreciate that extensive reply.

I'll clarify my question.

The issue is this. We have about 120 processors, including workstations running screamernet. They're all set up the same and have been running well for years. The new ones with windows XP will not render, the renders continually fail.

My question is if anyone has identified any particular issues running lwsn under XP.

Our IT guys have been working on it a few days and are a littly mystified.

Thanks

lor

sonofmickel
09-14-2005, 12:13 PM
Lets see the bat files for the peecees. *** well as a bet file from the other machine. What OS are you running? Win2000 probably. I can't remember from the above post:)

Matt
09-14-2005, 12:38 PM
One thing I noticed recently; computers that I used to be able to connect to (XP machines) started playing up with access rights, even though they were shared and permissions set, I had to go and add the users in the 'Security Tab' in sharing, I hadn't even noticed it before, whether it's a SP2 thing or simply an update that made things a little bit more secure I don't know. All I know is that it wasn't there, and now it is!

This *might* be something to look at.

Matt

Knight Chat X
09-14-2005, 06:59 PM
Thanks Knight, I appreciate that extensive reply.

I'll clarify my question.

The issue is this. We have about 120 processors, including workstations running screamernet. They're all set up the same and have been running well for years. The new ones with windows XP will not render, the renders continually fail.

My question is if anyone has identified any particular issues running lwsn under XP.

Our IT guys have been working on it a few days and are a littly mystified.

Thanks

lor

I need to know more, when you say rendering is failing do you mean you are experiencing dropped frames?

Are you experiencing any networking problems and did you install any security/flash updates to hardware or software and/or change firewall/router settings?

If it worked before but now it doesn't then there might be a configuration problem where something was changed recently which is causing the problem, sometimes I experience dropped or unrendered frames using network rendering but I use tool called Tequila Scream to add and imediately render missing frames, I repeat the process until all frames have been successfully rendered.

To check for missing frames go to your main renders folder and see if filename number mismatchs.

Example:
render_001.jpg
render_002.jpg
render_005.jpg
render_007.jpg
render_008.jpg

Re-render the missing frames.

On the client machines check to see if your machines are able to properly access the main server's shared folders, do this by opening My Computer and double clicking on the shared drives, if you receive popup error messages such as access denied and/or you see a blank browser window it's probably a network configuration problem, this would happen if you had 3 or 120 computers, lol.

Also, make sure your LWSN shortcut points to the shared folder properly leading back to the LWSN.exe on your main server, if your machine is unable to access the share on the main server your shortcut icon will be blank, when a network connection is successfully established the icon will be the LWSN.exe icon, another thing is if manually executing the shortcut does nothing or produces an error, another check to perform is if the shortcut points to local installation of lightwave or remote, it needs to be remote not local, if it's local you'll still see the LWSN.exe icon regardless of weither or not you have access to the main server's share.

jasonazure
08-16-2006, 08:38 AM
Your problem may be due to the stupid 10 connection limit that has been forced on us with the Windows XP Pro OS !