PDA

View Full Version : dual processor not performing

Ivan
09-13-2005, 10:07 PM
I have a dual 3Ghz PC and I am finding that if I increase the number of threads the render times double. I have also noticed that rendering a scene does not cause processor performance to increase over 30%. When I render the scene with the dual 3Ghz machine it takes about 3 seconds per frame while my 1.8Ghz PC renders the same scene at about 5 seconds per frame. On booting both processors show up and in Task Manager I see 4 windows for CPU Usage. Hyperthreading is turned on. Any ideas what would cause such poor performance?

Thanks,

Ivan

Captain Obvious
09-14-2005, 02:14 AM
Try it with a scene that takes longer to render. The scene might take two or so seconds extra to split up the workload among the processors. Sure, it takes half as long after it's split up, but you still pay those extra two seconds. On a scene that takes a minute per frame, those two seconds do not matter nearly as much.

Set the resolution to something higher, turn on radiosity and full raytracing, whatever, and try again. First with one thread, then with eight threads.