PDA

View Full Version : VT3 PAL Conversion Help!

Ron Kirby
09-13-2005, 03:57 PM
Iím converting some video footage to PAL.
In VT3 Iím changing, in preferences, from NTSC to PAL.
I put my clip on the time line and resizing the clip with the toolshed template.
Itís my understanding that VT3 should automatically set the frame rate from 29.97 FPS to the
PAL frame rate of 25.00. However upon playback the video is kinda ďstrobingĒ or playing with
jerks.
If I manually change the FPS to 25.00 the video plays back smoothly but itís slowed to around
83% and the audio is obviously very bad.
What am I missing here?
Is there any place one can get a simple, step by step guide on how one can use the PAL
capabilities of VT3?
Thanks Ron

chribba
09-13-2005, 04:45 PM
Is it not possible to render out the NTSC video to PAL... ?

Chribba

SCS
09-13-2005, 06:52 PM
I do not believe that the VT will transcode from NTSC to PAL in realtime...
In my situation, I set the VT to PAL, digitize PAL clips and render out using NTSC presets, then restart the VT in NTSC.

Ron Kirby
09-13-2005, 09:28 PM
I have a PAL capable dv deck. I was under the assumption that I could switch to the PAL mode...put a NTSC clip on the time line...resize it...and then output it to my PAL capable deck.
Ron

SCS
09-14-2005, 10:52 AM
I believe that would stretch/distort the clip vertically (from 480 to 576) rather than duplicate the necessary lines to maintain the aspect ratio of your footage... also as you discovered, adjusting the frame has it's problems...

radams
09-14-2005, 11:38 AM
Here is what I would recommend.

let me get this straight first.

You have a NTSC video clip or project that you want to record to PAL, correct?

Well, first setup your VT to PAL mode in prefernces...then restart the system and VT.

2) load in your NTSC footage into TED, VT will automatically change the fps and the field dominance. (note PAL is the opposite field). You will also need to resize the footage with the position panel or with the toolshed.

Then playback to your deck set to pal...all is transparent and clean...
If you want to render this out to a PAL file and codec make certain that it is setup correctly...25fps, proper field, etc...

Then render.

I hope that this helps...the VT4.5 should also improve PAL settings and functionality.

Cheers,

JAMIL
09-16-2005, 01:06 PM
Also you can use another way.
You can render your NTSC video in TGA sequence and then rerender it in PAL but you'll still have problem with sound. What I know that the transcode systems are very expencive...

...I can mistake

Jamil