PDA

View Full Version : help with spline lines and making faces

jpaugh78
09-13-2005, 02:13 PM
i am trying to draw the top of a bottle (like one that contains soap). I have the outside all done, but i can't figure out how to get the faces on properly. I used spline draw to get the curves, but i need to somehow add points to my spline line (but without changing the curve). Is there an easy way to do this?

Surrealist.
09-13-2005, 07:43 PM
This would be a real good subpatch project.

But one thing is that if you freeze your spline it adds more points along the length and maintains the curve. The number of points is determined by the curve division level on the options panel, press o in modeler and you can select course medium or fine.

Select the cuve, hit ctrl. d and the spline will freeze into a poly.

Then, you can just select the points, cut and paste them back into the layer. That will get rid of the poly and leave the points. Then select the new points in order to create a new curve with more points by pressing ctrl p (open curve). If you are patching your splines, you can then use that to create skin or whatever you are going to do.

But what I would do is use the splines as a reference guide to create it as a subpatch object. That may not be your choice, but something to think about. However, that said, it is good to gain solid grasp of splines. They are still a powerful tool and the best choice for some projects. So go for it. :)

Silkrooster
09-13-2005, 09:02 PM
Looking at the image as far as I can tell, the reason why you have a flat edge running below the spline, is because you used only a single polygon. By nature a polgon has flat sides. So to make the curve you need multiple polgons go make the illusion of a curve. This is where patching comes in. Make sure you are able to select 3 to 4 splines then use the patch tool, the higher the number the smoother the curve will be.
Things to keep in mind,
1) all splines must point in the same direction which would make a complete circle. If any splines point the wrong way, use the f key to flip the spline. (you can tell what way a spline is pointing by selecting the spline at one end will be a diamond or head of the spline)
2) Only 3 or 4 splines can be selected
3) A spline can be split, by first selecting a point then selecting the spline and using the split command
4) Multiple splines can be merged by selecting the splines then pressing shift z
Silk

Surrealist.
09-14-2005, 11:30 AM
BTW, silk's idea is much better. I was only focusing on the concept of getting the curve to have more points along it without effecting it's shape and really had not even thought through the concept of doing patches.

If you are going to do that, making more points along the curve is an unecessary step. It would only be useful if you were going to skin it with the skin tool which I believe uses the point data.

With curve patching you tell it how many subdivisions and it fills the curve in with polys.

Looking at the object from that perspective, it looks like you could do just as silk says and it would work fine. You would just take each side of the object at a time and make sure you have four curves to work with... you get the idea - just like he said.

Well, anyway now you know how to add more points to a curve.

Have fun. :)

jpaugh78
09-14-2005, 11:33 AM
Okay, thanks for the help, it worked like a charm.

Surrealist.
09-14-2005, 12:25 PM
Nice! Thanks for posting the result. :)

jpaugh78
09-14-2005, 01:47 PM
it still overlaps my original curve just a bit....but i'd have to redo it to fix it. I think it looks pretty good. This is the finished object.....a soap bottle for the sims 2

Silkrooster
09-14-2005, 06:18 PM
Coming along real nice.
Silk

jpaugh78
09-15-2005, 12:35 PM
this method still doesn't cover right around where a curve is. It leaves a gap. Along the corners too. So in the end it makes my curves straighter..... :thumbsdow

Surrealist.
09-15-2005, 02:13 PM
From what I can see of it, it looks like it might be subpatchable. To get the sharp corners in places you could add some geometry to tighten it up.

Looks like you did the whole thing in quads. Only other thing is you would use less geometry in the cylindars.

But if you are going to use the curve method, to get a real smoth curve, you have to use more polygons.

Going way way back to the first versions of LW, we all had to learn that to get a nice round ball or curved shape, it had to be many polygons.

This is one of the first things you have to learn with this polygon method.

Subpatches actually, this concept was introduced around version 3, with smooth subdivision and then metaform in version 4 if my memory serves me well. Before that you had to go back and recreate a curved object with more polygons. Now you could have lightwave smooth it out and create a curved surface.

Now this also creates the problem to have sharp corners in places with metaform. Subpatch is far more advanced than metaphorm because of it's real time editing and animation capabilities for selecting various display and render resolutions. But many of the techniques for creating shapes are held over from metaform which is still an option in the subdivide tool.

You could use subdivide smooth, but no guarantee it would hold to the curve exactly but it might work for you.

Either way if you want more curve add more polys. When you are ready you can learn subpatches too. :)

jpaugh78
09-15-2005, 02:18 PM
I think i may have figured out the problem. I used the freeze method to add more points to my splines, then i made a very large amount of patches in subpatch mode, i used 100x100 to make a very high definition face. I did this for all sides until i got what i wanted. then i just used the Poly reducer + to get the polygons back down to below 1000, but still keeping my faces where they were. In the end i believe i got the desired effect. I'll post my results later. :)

Surrealist.
09-15-2005, 02:20 PM
Well, there you go... :)