PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on pre-fabricated content

blacksmith3D
09-13-2005, 10:57 AM
I was wondering if you all can give me your opinion on using prefabricated objects in your projects. How often do you use existing objects (created by third parties), free or commercial.

I ask this because I am considering modelling a high quality "default human", which can be morphed into a whole variety of characters. The logic being that it is a "primitave human", similar to a primitave sphere, cube, etc. A good starting point for most humanoid characters. One could morph it into shape, add or delete custom geometry as required, etc.

I would be interested in providing this model to the community for free, if the demand was high enough. An example as to how a primitive human can be reshaped into a completely different creature can be seen in the attached image. The model I made for this morph project is OK, but I would like to make a much better one. In this case, it is a perfect morph with no added or subtracted geometry.

So, would such a "primitave human" find it's way into YOUR work-flow?
Dave

Captain Obvious
09-14-2005, 02:21 AM
Considering the existance of people who put food on the table by modeling half-finished models and such, there is most likely a market for it. ;)

MonroePoteet
09-14-2005, 09:47 AM
I tend to use "store bought" models for background material or simple prototyping rather than for the focus of my animations. I like to build the "stars" myself, but that's just me. One of these days I'll be good at it!

mTp

ibanezhead
09-14-2005, 10:55 AM
That sounds great. Could people use it Commercially for free?

blacksmith3D
09-14-2005, 11:22 AM
Oh yes. There would be no restriction on the usage. I would like to have as many LW users as possible using the content for their projects, commercial or otherwise.

Since the hard-core Lightwave professional likes to model their own characters from scratch, I would expect people to use this "primitive man" for their background characters. However, I see no reason why some people may wish to customize it and use it for their main characters. As the image above shows, you can completely reshape a character without altering the original geometry.

The primitive man will have most of the geometry required for any humanoid character (ears, nose, eyes, etc.), but it will be very "neutral", making it easy to morph into different characters.

Dave

Stooch
09-14-2005, 12:12 PM
If i need to use prefabs for previs, ill use poser. i can also put generic models in the background when the deadlines are tight, however, characters are typically the stars of the show and i personally wouldnt feel right calling it my own if i got a model from somewhere else. its an ethical thing, + i wouldnt want people to take my work and call it their own either. I could see this being useful for beginners who want to focus on animation though...