PDA

View Full Version : Help: Final Project

JadaFecT
09-13-2005, 07:42 AM
Hello all (hope this is the correct place to post)

I'm in my final year of university studying 3D animation / LW. This year I'll be making a short film instead of just test renders and playing about with editing, modelling and other programs and animation techniques. The issue I have is...

What short story should I do, I literally have no idea, for example: surreal? comedy? cartoon? action? thriller? and so on. I want to obviously get a job at the end of this year so this will essentially be my show reel with only a few other bits included. So does anyone have any ideas of what sort of story I could do? what techniques should I include to get the best coverage of my ability? i.e an entire story in cellshading? photorealism? special effects mixed with live action? I have no idea as I love just messing about with all forms at the moment. Also I'm really struggling on the actual structure of the story too as I'm getting worried about the techniques I should use as I really want to impress my 'future bosses' ;)

So if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them and also links to, maybe, final year projects or showreels would be very handy too.

I hope to hear from you all! ;) Thanks for your time.

Patrick / JadaFecT

ravantra
09-13-2005, 08:34 AM
Boy that's a difficult question to answer! A painter starring at a blank canvas....what should he paint? A sculpter touching a block of marble....what should he sculpt?

What is it you truly enjoy? Horror, comedy, drama, cartoons, old time movies?....... Do something YOU will enjoy. If your work is great it will be recognized.....forget about your future bosses.....they are well... in the POSSIBLE future. I the process of "creating" you may find out you hate it and go on to other endeavours. You may find out you enjoy only certain aspects.

Use you life experiences to tell a story. Do something you "know" ..... baseball or bad Japanese films for instance, instead of trying to figure out what a "future boss" would like. Be fearless and ready to defend your work....

Good luck.

Meaty
09-13-2005, 08:49 AM
I remember, one of my favorite shorts a VFS project done to Spiders by System of a Down. I wouldn't suggest a "music video" outright, but maybe as an exercise to get the creative juices flowing, pick a piece of music that you like, and ask yourself what it reminds you of, and go from there.

JadaFecT
09-13-2005, 08:51 AM
hehe I understand its a question no one can answer really but I'd just some feed back on showreels, whats good to include in a showreel and whats not? how to present it etc? any information at all is great for me to be honest. :)

with the story issue, this is my problem at the moment I just dont seem to have any ideas AT all which worries me slightly. I'm usually getting inspiration from everywhere I look but as I know this is so important I want it to be perfect. I love comedy personally but will I get less marks for a comedy piece instead of covering serious issues - these things concern me. A 5 minute shortstory with meaning and humour - tough call :p

cheers

Patrick / JadaFecT :)

Karmacop
09-13-2005, 08:58 AM
I've been in a similar situation, and it really is quite hard. I'd try to make it as simple as possible for yourself. Make the story something you enjoy, make the story suit your style, and include things you know you can model well. For example, if you've never done any particle effects it's not a good time to learn the ins and outs, so try to limit them. So I'd really try to make the story etc around what you are good at and what you feel comfortable doing. Also, do story boards :p

For my project I ended up doing a 5 minute long children's show. I think all up there were 3 environments, 1 character model, and several other unimportant models. There were no particles, no compositing, little texturing, and only simple animation. It was only a year long course (and this project was in the last 8 weeks) and only about 5 weeks of it were 3d, so all of my knowledge was prior learning, but hopefully you'll get an idea of what you can do.

JadaFecT
09-13-2005, 09:09 AM
I should state my ideas so far:

I have to come up with 3 ideas (all ideas will be fully scripted and have animatics and a few test renders)

1) a comedy pilot show (with a professional writer will write the script) and I would only have time to animate 2-3 scenes properly. The humour would be alot like family guy or something - very non p.c. But the main character is a troubled young teenage boy thats well into graffiti and other illegal 'things'.

2) A music video for my friends band (rock band - www.rosalita.co.uk to listen to his music) not sure what I'd do within the video though

3) A short story - this is the one im struggling with mainly and probably the one i want to do most hehe :s

lardbros
09-13-2005, 02:44 PM
Hiya,

Wow, very tough questions there, but you can't go wrong with any premise for a short film. So long as it's well directed and interesting it should keep the audience watching.

You said you wanted to see what other people have done, so here's a link to my Dissertation piece i did nearly a yr and a half ago!! (wow, is it that long already?) My short film (http://www.lairdsquared.co.uk/videos/Short_Film.avi)

Took me all the summer before my project to come up with the story and do the storyboards, lucky i had such a head start really.

Very good luck by the way!

blacksmith3D
09-13-2005, 02:50 PM
If you decide to do a short story, I would recommend that you base it on an existing short short, perhaps a classic. Since you are aspiring to be a 3D animator and not a writer, there not much sense in trying to write your own story from scratch (give proper credit to the original author of course). Perhaps you can find a script/writing student and make it a collaboration. They write/adapt the script and story while you do all of the animation/art direction. In that way, they can use the movie for their resume as well.

Be sure to clear your plans with your professors to make sure that collaborations of this kind are allowed. As long as you are the only one doing the 3D work, I do not see any reason why it would not be acceptable.

Dave

toby
09-13-2005, 11:46 PM
:agree:

Unless you've been studying for a year to be a writer, or have a great idea for a story, get a good story somewhere else and worry about the 3D, there's plenty of it to do. Doing an entertaining film is more important than being the one to think up the story. Remember how often the Simpsons makes us laugh by bringing up classic tv history? Same thing.

For my final I used the audio from a Steve McQueen car-chase movie and animated little boys chasing each other in cardboard boxes. No lip-synching, no walk cycles or IK, I was able to finish it in 3 months, and got great responses.

Silkrooster
09-14-2005, 12:50 AM

Unless you've been studying for a year to be a writer, or have a great idea for a story, get a good story somewhere else and worry about the 3D, there's plenty of it to do. Doing an entertaining film is more important than being the one to think up the story. Remember how often the Simpsons makes us laugh by bringing up classic tv history? Same thing.

For my final I used the audio from a Steve McQueen car-chase movie and animated little boys chasing each other in cardboard boxes. No lip-synching, no walk cycles or IK, I was able to finish it in 3 months, and got great responses.
Yeah, I saw that video on your web site. Excellent BTW. :thumbsup:
I beleive I have to concur with Toby on this, find an old video or cartoon and do a remake. Spend your time showing your 3d skills instead of your writing skills. Rewriting the skit some don't hurt either to help make it your own if you have time.
Silk

lardbros
09-14-2005, 03:42 AM

Yeah, and it was called Boxitt wasn't it. I downloaded that yrs ago from PocketMovies.net if i remember rightly, very amusing it was too. I didn't think it looked like LW for some reason, shows what i know!

I know you say you just took the idea from the film, but you altered it and came up with a funny twist on it which obviously took some time to create.

I agree though, if you don't have the time to come up with a script take something else off. BUT if you do have the time to, i would go the home grown route for sure, probably won't get you better marks at all, but that's just me i guess.

JadaFecT
09-14-2005, 07:44 AM
thanks for the great replies guys, being very helpful. I'll have to start hunting some interesting short stories that I can 'edit' as I dont really have the time to write an entire script.

I'm sure ill post some renders of what im doing in a month or so :)

cheers!

toby
09-14-2005, 11:38 PM
Yeah, and it was called Boxitt wasn't it. I downloaded that yrs ago from PocketMovies.net if i remember rightly, very amusing it was too. I didn't think it looked like LW for some reason, shows what i know!

I know you say you just took the idea from the film, but you altered it and came up with a funny twist on it which obviously took some time to create.

I agree though, if you don't have the time to come up with a script take something else off. BUT if you do have the time to, i would go the home grown route for sure, probably won't get you better marks at all, but that's just me i guess.

Yea that was it! Ah the good old days
;D :cry:

lardbros
09-15-2005, 06:17 AM
Isn't it funny that i watched that yrs ago... and still have it on my PC in my "Short Films" folder, and I never realised that the person i have read so many posts from in a forum was one and the same! :D