PDA

View Full Version : Start | Programs | Register LightWave | Register LightWave.

loki74
09-12-2005, 09:29 PM
Well I am very happ to have recieved my purchase. The registration instructions say to do this: Start | Programs | Register LightWave | Register LightWave. (I am getting this from the "How to register" page on the NewTek site)

Okay... So its like this--I dont have a start menu. (I use a Mac.) How on earth do I register?? I just spent 800 bucks on this thing and I want to be able to use it for more than 15 days. I have run searhes for the terms "lightwave," "register," and "Register Lightwave." There is no such application. It does not exist on my machine. Also, the internet side has a required field "Purchased From." What do I put for this? I got it from the NewTek online store... is there any offical wording I have to use for this?

...and for some reason, if the dongle is not in the computer LW still runs and doesnt mention anything about 15 days. I though it wasn't supposed to work w/o the dongle?

In case it's relevant:
Got Lightwave Wersion 8.3; special deal with Vue 5 Infinite. USB Dongle. Running OSX 10.3.9 "Panther." Power Mac Dual G5 2.5.

Silkrooster
09-12-2005, 09:41 PM
You can register online at Newteks web site at Registration page (http://www.newtek.com/support/reg/index.html)
As far as the dongle is concerned, yes lightwave will still run, it is just limited in what it can do. For example the renders have a water mark on them and you are limited to 400 points per layer.
When the dongle is pluged in and you start lightwave you will get a message telling you that you have __days to register.
Once you register you will receive a licence number that is tied to your dongle, so make sure your dongle is pluged in when you go to register as you will be asked to get the number on the dongle and the instructions should be there to tell you how to get that number.
The license number will then need to be entered into lightwave once that is done, you won't see the number of days to register anymore.
Silk

loki74
09-12-2005, 10:20 PM
Yeah I did that online bit. (It was giving me some sort of servor or whatnot errors before, works now)

But I can't find the registration wizard that I run off my machine. The email I got just now from the online registration says that I have to do this. It also says it should be in my programs folder. The only apps I see here are:

Hub
LightWave
LSed
Lsid
LWSN
Modeler
Hub cmdline
LightWave cmdLine
LWSN cmdLine
Modeler cmdLine

If by programs folder they meant Applications folder, I checked there as well. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Silkrooster
09-12-2005, 10:37 PM
hmmm. The instruction of your first post was the windows version. I checked the readme file that came with 8.3 and it says it should be at Applications | LightWave [8] | Programs | Register
LightWave
One thing I have noticed is the readme file shows the North America version is Mac instructions and Europe version is PC instructions.
If you are in Europe you may need to register on their website instead of the USA's web site.
Silk

somnambulance
09-12-2005, 10:43 PM
Registration wizard..? No, just go to the registration here, then (may as well reinstall LW cause I dont know how to enter the registration # in any other way), and wha-la. I suggest printing the page you get your registration code onand keep it with your manual.

If by the registration wizard you mean this (http://reg.newtek.com/howto/index-lw.aspx), then like I said, re-install it. I am on OSX as well and that is the only way I know how to bring it up.

loki74
09-12-2005, 11:28 PM
Registration wizard..? No, just go to the registration here, then (may as well reinstall LW cause I dont know how to enter the registration # in any other way), and wha-la. I suggest printing the page you get your registration code onand keep it with your manual.

If by the registration wizard you mean this (http://reg.newtek.com/howto/index-lw.aspx), then like I said, re-install it. I am on OSX as well and that is the only way I know how to bring it up.

Yeah, thats the wizard alright. I reinstalled and its exactly the same. There is no application called "Register Lightwave" anywhere I can find. Did the search again. Nothing. There was no similar thing/equivalent in the installer the second time around. There is no way for me to input what I got from the online registration (License key) that I can find anywhere...

Silkrooster
09-13-2005, 12:16 AM
Oh, so you did register, we were trying to get you to register. Start Layout click on help then click on enter license.
Silk

loki74
09-13-2005, 01:14 AM
Hmm.. . this is definately the oddest thing

Well I was astounding when I read Silk's las post... typically the help menu is where apps have their registration/licensing stuff. But I was sure I checked it already (both in Layout and Modeler). So I checked it again. But lo and behold, all the items were there, all but "Enter License."

Frustrated, I went to the help Contents, and searched for this--"Enter License." It HAD to be somewhere. Sure enough, the only result is "Help Menu" Layout." In the page, it describes each menu option, "Enter License" among them. Its description: "This handy tool wiht generate a License key and place it in yourprogram directory." Neat.

I do reacall, when searching for the registration wizard a file called License.key. Hmm. So I open it up in text edit, and put the number I got from the NewTek online registration in, saved it, and---

It seems to work! I can run the app with the Dongle in, and no messages about 15 days.

What I want to know is... am I not supposed to do that? Did I just do something bad, not legal, etc? I mean, it seems to me that that missing menu item does what the same thing, and in its absense I just did its job. Also, why would that menu item not show up?? Is there something wrong with my copy of LW? (Is that even possible?)

PS Thank you all SO MUCH for bearing with me and being patient... I am glad to be a memeber of such a friendly community! :thumbsup: :newhere:

pauland
09-13-2005, 01:45 AM
You have 14 days after installing to run LW without the licence key (but you still need the dongle). This allows you to use LW straight away and gives you and Newtek time to sort out the registration. You're not doing anything illegal.

Silkrooster
09-13-2005, 05:21 PM
There is nothing wrong with pasting the license number in that text file. Odds are if you were still having trouble that would have been my next suggestion.
Silk