PDA

View Full Version : Subpatch Question

Krakken
09-12-2005, 02:11 PM
Hey- I'm reletively new to Lightwave, so if there is some better way to do this other than subpatches, that would be appreciated as well--

Is there a way to subpatch without rounding the edges? One of my projects has many surfaces that are smooth and rounded but require jagged edges. Is there a way to have a smooth, rounded surface drop off with a straight edge rather than the beziers created by subpatching? I would like the edge of my surface to follow the line of the un-subpatched polygons but the surface itself to be smoothed- without smoothing the corners on the edge.

How can I achieve this?

Thank you!

Silkrooster
09-12-2005, 05:20 PM
There probably several ways to accomplish what you want, with out looking at your object, I can recommend that you use the knife tool or bandsaw the edge, place the new vertexes as close to the edge as possible. This will flatten the sides. If you use the bandsaw tool open up the numeric panel then you can change where the new vertexes will be, make them as far to the outside as possible.
If these do not work could you post an image of your object, then perhaps something else will come to mind.
Silk

Surrealist.
09-12-2005, 07:25 PM
Silk you sound pretty much on the money there, but yea, lets see an example.

There is also subpatch weight which I know Silk was also thinking of but didn't mention, perhaps because it is limited in use. So lets wee what you've got.

etobiason
09-12-2005, 07:29 PM
You could also try the reverse--rather than try to get jagged edges on a subpatch object, you could apply smooth curves to your non-subpatch object with a plug-in like Rounder.

Silkrooster
09-12-2005, 09:26 PM
I think someone may be psychic :hey: yeah I did think of weightmaps.

I couldn't recommend using rounder because I have not seen the object, it would depend on the complexity of the object. Like I said there are several ways including using splines, but this all depends on the object in question.
Silk

MonroePoteet
09-12-2005, 10:28 PM
Also, cut-n-pasting part of an object can give you a sharp crease or sharp ridge. Gotta be careful not to merge points later though.

mTp