PDA

View Full Version : I'm new to Lightwave and I am only 11

intraining
09-11-2005, 08:59 PM
Could anyone tell me what the best training resources are so I can learn fast? I want to make my dad proud of me! Be kind I am only 11 years old.

:)

Silkrooster
09-11-2005, 09:18 PM
Welcome aboard, I am glad to see that you are taking an interest in creating 3d models. I can pretty well bet your dad is already proud of you.
You will find a lot of tutorials right here on Newtek's web site.
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/index.html
A good place to start looking for tutorials is at http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm
Good luck and have fun,
Silk

Stormrazor
09-11-2005, 09:24 PM
Glad to have you. We, as a community, are glad to see new people modelling. And at 11 years old, I think you are taking the right steps to make alot of people proud of you. If you need any help, some of these guys are scary....like me, but we don't bite. Just ask.

Again good to have ya.

lardbros
09-12-2005, 03:45 AM
Wow, 11!! You'll be better than me within a month i reckon, releasing your first short film by 14 and an oscar winner by 16!

Welcome to the forums, looking forward to seeing your work.

MonroePoteet
09-12-2005, 09:28 AM
Welcome! A word of warning: LW is very addictive! At least *try* to get a little sleep after you get hooked.

Another great source of training is to seach this forum for threads started by Proton. He develops Quicktime tutorials on a variety of tools and techniques which are really helpful.

If you can afford the time, I'd recommend reading the manual. At least spend the time to peruse the Table of Contents, since it gives an overview of the entire product. Also, go through the Glossary to learn the terminology used in the product.

Although it's HUGE (1500+ pages), it turns out there's a lot of duplication that you can start skipping as you proceed. It certainly provides the basic information about all the intricate features of LW. There are times when knowing about a "hidden" feature can save you many hours of time and accelerate your work substantially. By using the PDF online version, it's easy to switch back and forth between the manual and LW to try stuff out.

mTp

etobiason
09-12-2005, 07:38 PM
Welcome to LW! Looks like we're both in Chicago. Does your Dad use LW as well? Maybe the two of you would like to come to our User Group... check out www.clwug.com and see if you're interested. We'd be happy to answer questions.

-e

intraining
09-14-2005, 08:12 PM
Welcome to LW! Looks like we're both in Chicago. Does your Dad use LW as well? Maybe the two of you would like to come to our User Group... check out www.clwug.com and see if you're interested. We'd be happy to answer questions.

-e

My dad does use Lightwave in his company discreetfx. Thanks everyone for the tips. Anything else I should know, I don't understand everything in the manual yet, Thanks for your support, maybe we can make one of those meeting, I will ask my dad.

:jester: :lwicon:

Silkrooster
09-14-2005, 09:03 PM
Watching the videos will help with what you read in the manual. Actually after reading the manual try out the tools and get use to them, then go back and read the manual again. Each time you go back and read the manual it will become more clear to you. The manual is a very thick book there is no way you or anyone could digest the whole book at one time. This is why it is so important to read, read and go back and read some more.
I don't know if you ever heard any of your teachers say this, but it takes a minimum a 3 times to remember what you read.
Anyways, if you don't quite understand something, I am positive someone here or even your dad will try to explain it to you.
Good luck
Silk

habaņero
09-15-2005, 08:06 PM
http://www.suture.net/tutorials/modeling/index.php

I found this a really great place to start.

Dan Ablans books , Inside Lightwave is also a recommendation.

G. luck!

toby
09-16-2005, 02:30 PM
I don't understand everything in the manual yet,
He's reading the manual!

YOU... are going places. :rock:

Stooch
09-16-2005, 06:34 PM
Hehe ONLY 11? i was 10 when i started, you got it good, there wasnt nearly as much support online 14 years ago :)

Good luck and have fun :thumbsup: