PDA

View Full Version : LightWave vX Interface Functionality

Matt
05-01-2003, 07:48 PM
Should have done this ages ago, would have saved a lot of explaining on my part!!! :)

Okay, remember the LightWave vX (version 10) interface stuff?
Well in my head THIS is how I imagine the functionality to work . . .

http://www.creactive-design.co.uk/lightwave_vx/gfx/lightwave_vx_functionailty_tbn.jpg

click to enlarge (http://www.creactive-design.co.uk/lightwave_vx/gfx/lightwave_vx_functionailty.jpg)

Hopefully it's all self-explanatory!

:)

marko
05-02-2003, 03:23 PM
truly amazing effort.
which i find very inspireing, hope NT shares our opinion.

some parts of lw are so deep today. for example seting camera rendering, radiosity, shadows are 4 different windows. if only there were tabs like in photoshop for quicker navigation between panels

marko

Lewis
05-03-2003, 02:45 PM
Matt this is sure great effort and i admire you for doing that but i still wonder WHY ? :). Why all that ? If you are "helping" NewTek in next LW version then cool but as you noticed before many LW users didn't like that design so i wonder why bother at all :).

Keep the good work.

DigiLusionist
05-03-2003, 09:25 PM
In a forum, one should not speak for others. I, for one, think they are excellent designs. Asserting that MANY other users did not like them is not valid, as you have no way to prove that.

My word. It amazes me how often the Russian Veto technique is employed here...

lord
05-04-2003, 12:40 AM
Just makes so much sense.
The functionality of it all is beautiful, and as I understood it all to work.

Whether the visual elements are the traditional LW flavour or not is a subjective thing and shouldn't be confused with it's interface functionality, which could improve LW's workflow tremendously.

It's been a pleasure to watch your idea grow.

Keep it up.

Matt
05-05-2003, 09:45 AM
Hi Lewis

I bet a few people are asking the same question - why?

Well I can assure that as much fun as it would be, I'm not working with NT on this.

If you read the introduction on the home page I thought it was clear . . .

What's it all about?

Interface design! I'm an industrial designer by trade and have always had
a keen interest in the human interaction side of things. Computer interface design
is an area I'd like to do more work in, but alas that's not what I do on a day to day
basis, so in the words of Nike, I decided to 'just do it'!

Why LightWave?

I use LightWave a lot at work, despite being a very powerful package and reasonably
easy to use once you know where things are, it's interface is in need of a face lift.

There are also issues with usability that need addressing, mainly cleaning and ordering
of menus and windows. It seemed like a good package to have a go with!

So as you can see this is me practising interface design, I chose LW because I personally feel it needs two things:

1) A visual face lift

2) Improved workflow

It could well have been Quark Xpress if the mood had taken me!

I've had various feedback, nearly all positive, even private emails from people asking for the plugin that creates this interface!!!

The only really negative feedback I ever received was from a certain individual who thought I was 'killing' :rolleyes: the LW inteface because I was taking up too much of the viewport screen space, this prompted me to show the flexibility of how I imagined a new LW interface to work, hence this post.

Bottom line, I'm doing this because I enjoy it! :) Some people won't like it, and that's fine, it's a very subjective issue to which everyone will have ideas, I'm simply showing mine to everyone else!

I really hope people don't think I'm preaching from some high horse that THIS is how it should be done! These are just ideas, that's all!

Matt

Chris S. (Fez)
05-05-2003, 09:51 AM
I like it! Great work Matt.

Earl
05-05-2003, 12:13 PM
I think your interface ideas here are great Matt. It's like taking the dockers and palettes from Corel/Adobe software and applying them to the LW interface (in a more functional way). All in all, if LW adopted something along these lines, I think just about everyone's workflow would in some way be improved.

Of course, as much as I like on-the-fly-customizing of the interface, I also think it's very important to have a "lock" type feature which would freeze parts or all of the interface (so you don't accidentally move things you've spent long hours arranging).

I think it would also be great to have a separate configuration file specifically for the interface. This would make backing it up easier, and hopefully allow it to be imported into new versions. This could also allow people to set their interface config file to 'read only' - that way they could move things around as much as they wanted during their work session, knowing that once they closed and re-opened LW the interface would revert right back to their own customized 'beginning' state.

Lightwolf
05-05-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Earl
I think it would also be great to have a separate configuration file specifically for the interface. This would make backing it up easier, and hopefully allow it to be imported into new versions.
Actually, I'd like this to go even further. A workspace manager. Save presets and re-load them at the press of a button (I think Matt has something like that planned as well).

luka
05-05-2003, 10:03 PM
Great stuff. It would be a nice transition from where the GUI is now. Email Newtek as you would have majority support of users.:)

rick_r
05-07-2003, 08:46 AM
I really like that idea. Full screen modeler and layout would be great.

cresshead
05-07-2003, 03:00 PM
looks pretty neat to me...newtek?...chuck???take a look!
have you done a modeler version as well?

cheers

steve g

Doug Nicola
05-07-2003, 08:27 PM
OK, I posted this over on the modeler/layout combo thread, but I thought to post it here also, where it's more relevant (and because I like seeing my brilliant ideas spread far and wide, you know, like good fertilizer...;) )

I do think this idea gets the VX functionality with what we've got now, though.

QUOTE:

...As for the LightWave VX idea, most of that functionality can be assigned very cleanly using hot keys WITHOUT shift.

I have F1, F2, F3, F4, F5, F6, F7, and F8 for the scene, graph, surface, image, backdrop, volumetrics, compositing and processing panels. One press and it's there, one press and it's gone (except graph, he still owns F2).

Also, lower case o, b, l, c and p for Objects through Properties. Again, super fast and clean. Oh yeah, TAB makes my toolbar come and go, so instant full screen.

One more setup I love: Lower case z and x for move and rotate, and then keys a, s, d for selecting/deselecting X,Y,Z and H,P,B. Super fast and works like a charm!

And I'm also using Meni's layout config, which is intuitive, simple and clean.

Oh yeah, don't forget ctrl-shift LMB/MMB/RMB for three more totally customizable menus, right at your fingertips!

END QUOTE

Basically, I think Matt's design is great, but why not get it (more or less) using what we've got?

Matt
05-08-2003, 03:20 AM
the reason for this thread was to show how the re-designed interface I did could be pulled / pushed / docked / un-docked etc. not LW's current interface, which can do some of what I'm suggesting, but not all, and not as elegantly (IMO) as how I think it could be done!

I need more screenshots I think!!!

:)

TerryFord
05-08-2003, 06:55 AM
I like it a lot, LW could use an interface makeover, provided there's a "7.5 lookalike mode" to keep the old guard happy.

Not expecting it to happen though :(

Regards,
Terry

cavalos
05-08-2003, 09:19 AM
Hope Newtek is seeing this and make a call to you phone :)

Best
Christian

private
05-08-2003, 09:55 AM
I like it too. I've also watched the free Motion Builder VTM from 3dbuzz.com and looked at how Motion Builder manages an interface. I like the idea of saving presets to your interface, and being able to manage your own screen space. For some people, having lots of windows open, toggling between them is nice and for others, less is better. Other programs let you customize profiles or your preferences like Photoshop or Flash. I'm not a coder, but it doesn't seem like it should be too much of a stretch to incorporate this. Have a default profile, and then have the ability to save out your own workspaces. Seems simple to me.

Matt, I hope Newtek takes notice and even hires you to work on it. They've been doing some hiring lately....jump in there and earn some extra bucks! :)

Doug Nicola
05-08-2003, 10:58 AM
Actually, Matt, the presentation on your site was completey clear. No need for more screen shots! :) I get your idea and like it a lot. I also like the design you chose. I think it is right along with NT's style, and would be a very sharp evolution.

rick_r
05-08-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by TerryFord
I like it a lot, LW could use an interface makeover, provided there's a "7.5 lookalike mode" to keep the old guard happy.

Not expecting it to happen though :(

Regards,
Terry

I think the point of any make over would be to create a better work flow for a wider range of people. The one presented on here looks like it would do that nicely.

Matt
05-08-2003, 02:52 PM
Very kind comments :)

To be honest, I've not sent any of this stuff to anyone at NT, I'm sure whoever needs to see it has seen it here already (this all started as some simple feature requests, and then turned into a mini-exercise).

I'm sure I'm not suggesting anything they haven't already thought of!

Although if NT did see anything in here they did like they're totally welcome to use it / modify it etc.

Cheers
Matt

faulknermano
05-09-2003, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by Matt
Very kind comments :)

To be honest, I've not sent any of this stuff to anyone at NT, I'm sure whoever needs to see it has seen it here already (this all started as some simple feature requests, and then turned into a mini-exercise).

I'm sure I'm not suggesting anything they haven't already thought of!

Although if NT did see anything in here they did like they're totally welcome to use it / modify it etc.

Cheers
Matt

matt, if you're serious (and from the looks of it, you are), you can try to put this into a new level. do you have any experience in flash or director? i'm asking because you can demonstrate the actually behavior of this new interface and send the swf to newtek to sample. it's more concrete, imho. i did something similar, using lscript, instead and deuce was kind enough to respond to it.. and positively too. so i think it is better to actually send them a feature request directly, ESPECIALLY if you can illustrate the feature request to the point where simple words and static images wont do. :)

private
05-09-2003, 07:57 AM
I agree with faulknermano.